Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
Salty_C
Salty_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPhone, iPad
In search of recommendations: an app that automatically syncs last page read

Hello everyone, I have been searching the forum for a couple of hours, but apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I am looking for an app I can use across an iPhone, iPad and (ideally) MacBook, that will let me automatically go to the last-read page on another device, without me having to remember to sync manually before putting the device down.

I need this to work with books I've side-loaded, not just books from one particular store.

I don't mind having to copy/import the files manually, but it would be great if I could sync collections so that I don't have one giant list with all the books in a jumble.

In a perfect world, I'd love to be able to sync to my Kobo as well, but I'm sure that is asking too much!

I've tried various Calibre helpers, TiReader, Kobo, Kindle, and MapleReader among others, but none of them do this as far as I can tell.
Salty_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, you could start with Apple Books. Just open the ePub and if you have iCloud enabled for it, it will be available on all your Apple devices.

Google Play Books would also do this (but you’d need to use web browser on your MacBook). There’s a way to upload books to your account and from there they are available in the apps and read in browser.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Apple Books is your best bet, I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
Sorry, but ibooks or newly books is a pain!
And what alternatives do i have when i dont want to use an external cloud like icloud, google or whatever?
I would prefer a way to sync that info via a personal hosted service. Does that exist in any way?
I have tried calibre companion, but its a mess. Slow, doesnt sync reading position, stores all books on the device, with the reader they are 2 times on device, which is nonsense...

Thanks to all for any nice info!
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorius View Post
And what alternatives do i have when i dont want to use an external cloud like icloud, google or whatever?
I would prefer a way to sync that info via a personal hosted service. Does that exist in any way?
None unless you write the app yourself.

If you’re okay with no offline access, then perhaps web browser + Calibre server’s built-in online reader might work.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #6
Salty_C
Salty_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPhone, iPad
Thanks for the recommendations. Apple Books worked great. I thought I had tried it and been unable to import some books, but everything imported just fine, and moved across to all my devices. I would rather be supporting a smaller developer or company, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be another good option that does what I want.
Salty_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
last page, side-loaded, sync