Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #346
BooksproutChris
BooksproutChris began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello!

I'm curious if the EpubSplit plugin has any functionality to generate a preview of a book, similar to how Amazon or any online retailer does. I'd like to be able to offer 20% of a book as a preview to potential reviewers on my site and this plugin looks promising so far.

Thanks!
BooksproutChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #347
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
EpubSplit offers you a list of chapters/files and lets you choose which to split off.

So it can be used to manually split off around 20%, but there's no functionality to do so precisely or without manually choosing what to split off.

I suggest you try it and see if it meets your needs.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #348
BooksproutChris
BooksproutChris began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
EpubSplit offers you a list of chapters/files and lets you choose which to split off.

So it can be used to manually split off around 20%, but there's no functionality to do so precisely or without manually choosing what to split off.

I suggest you try it and see if it meets your needs.
Okay, thanks for the quick reply! That doesn't quite meet my needs as I'm hoping for a more automated solution. I'm hoping for a solution where authors upload their ebook, we create the sample automatically, then readers can download the sample to see if it's something they might enjoy before they download it.
BooksproutChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #349
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version

2022-01-11
- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre
- Update Translations

This version contains changes necessary for the upcoming Qt6 Calibre version.

I haven't tested against every version, but EpubSplit should still be backward compatible to v3.48 and newer.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 01-18-2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
Old 01-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #350
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 3.2.0 - 2022-01-18
- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre
- Update Translations
Advert
Old 01-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #351
Scorp
Scorp began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Duo
Exclamation ERROR: EPUB3 Detected: This plugin only works on EPUB2 format ebooks.

calibre, version 5.35.0
ERROR: EPUB3 Detected: This plugin only works on EPUB2 format ebooks.

I just upgraded to the new version 3.2.0 and I'm getting that error.

I'm trying to split some EPUBs that I got from Humble Bundle so I can upload them to my Google Play. Is there a reason EPUB was dropped or is this an accident? Is there an easy way to roll back to the previous version?
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #352
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

EpubSplit doesn't work with epub3 in any version.

You can convert to epub2 using Calibre's Convert epub->epub, choose version under Output Options.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #353
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Config dialog: Is it intended that composite columns are available to select for copying custom columns?

Thankfully selecting them didn't cause any failures, but it seems odd. Was the config made before composite columns existed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-03-13 13_37_36-Customize EpubSplit.png
Views:	205
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	192744  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-13-2022 at 12:44 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #354
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version

- Don't offer to copy composite columns.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 03-23-2022 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
Old 03-13-2022, 07:31 PM   #355
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That works. Also it makes the dialog shorter and easier to navigate. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #356
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 3.3.0 - 2022-03-22
- Don't offer to copy composite columns.
- Update Translations
Old 05-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #357
SamLL
SamLL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks!

JimmXinu,

Just registered because I wanted to post a thank-you message for your developing this plugin. This morning I had an anthology I wanted to split into three for easier organization, and your plugin made it extremely fast, easy, and effective.

I appreciate the work you've put in, and the high quality of the software you've built! Thank you!
SamLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #358
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Thumbs up

Thanks, glad you get some value from it.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #359
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Calibre's output is the only source of epub3 examples I've yet found, and they all use the same code. That's not a large enough sample for me to add epub3 code to EpubSplit yet.
A bit of an older post, but if you can get access to them, I noticed that the Tor.com free ebooks seem to exclusively use epub3; seeing as they sometimes put out omibuses of unrelated novels it's a bit relevant.

Not a huge priority; I need to do enough cleanup of the split ePubs that an extra epub3=>epub2 conversion isn't a problem, but if it was the lack of epub3s for testing that stopped development I thought I should mention.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-25-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #360
Sarrenthal
Sarrenthal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi! I'm sure you might have gotten this question before but, was there anyway to autosplit a book into equal parts? Some of the novels I've been splitting are 1000+ parts and I would like to just be able to split every 100 or split them evenly into x number of books. Is that a feature that I am unaware of? Thanks for the great plugin!
Sarrenthal is offline   Reply With Quote