Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #1471
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've been using this plug-in for years, mostly without issue. However, of late, a significant number of books (~30%) that I add to calibre don't update my #pages column when I run the plug-in. There have always been a few, but in the last month or so, the number has definitely grown.

My standard workflow: Import book, Edit metadata to add Goodreads identifier (and update a whole list of custom columns), and then save that and run the Count Pages plugin.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #1472
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've been using this plug-in for years, mostly without issue. However, of late, a significant number of books (~30%) that I add to calibre don't update my #pages column when I run the plug-in. There have always been a few, but in the last month or so, the number has definitely grown.

My standard workflow: Import book, Edit metadata to add Goodreads identifier (and update a whole list of custom columns), and then save that and run the Count Pages plugin.
What MODE are you using with the PI.
If you are using a Website, it may have changed (won't scrape).
I happen to use the Approximate mode (APN)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #1473
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What MODE are you using with the PI.
If you are using a Website, it may have changed (won't scrape).
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Could you post the plugin's configuration settings you use. If you're downloading the page count it could be a problem with the download site.

FWIW: I gave up on page counts because of that, at least a decade ago, I switched to counting words in the preferred output format (ePub). I only use it for indicative purposes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-27-2021 at 04:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:33 AM   #1474
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have it set to download page counts from Goodreads. The approximation versions never seemed all that close to reality when I first started using the plug in way, way back.

Worst part is that Amazon has page counts quite reliably these days, but that's not an option for the plugin (and by the time that was added as an option, Amazon would probably change their web page anyway!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:33 AM   #1475
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To me Page count is simply a uniform comparison tool.

By using the same setting on all books, I can quickly guestimate reading length between books. (Byte count is too easily distorted by Images and embedded fonts)
Other things that throw all guestimates off: Sample chapters, Other books by ads (w/cover images), publishers ads
Where's the Beef (just the main story)?

Almost as bad as books the us slightly bigger line-spacing (1.3 vs the standard 1.2) to make them appear to have more filling
Old 11-30-2021, 03:11 AM   #1476
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
This is me, too. By definition pages are irrelevant to ebook reading, I don't care what the dead tree page numbers are, but having a page count calculatedmeans that I can trust with a fair degree of confidence than an 180 "page" book is about half long as a 360 "page" book
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #1477
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

By using the same setting on all books, I can quickly guestimate reading length between books.

DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:45 AM   #1478
anishmittal
anishmittal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
The plugin hangs, when I select a large number of books for counting of pages and words. May be plugin can limit how many books it processes in parallel. I would like my entire library of 1000 books to be processes one by one, so that it does not hangs, and the results be updated after each processing.
anishmittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #1479
anishmittal
anishmittal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
In continuation my previous comment, it also hangs when multiple small jobs of counting pages are started.For example, I started 10 jobs of 25 books each. It hanged.
anishmittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #1480
theducks
Well trained by Cats

(*assumes you are NOT configured to use a lot of/any the Download option (on the other tab)
I use Estimate: APNX (since I have a Kindle to reference)

There is something wrong on your system that is blocking Worker processes
OR
Your Count Pages.json is damaged
found at
Code:
C:\Users\<your logon>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins
Blow that away, you will just need to configure the plugin before next use
Old 12-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #1481
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishmittal View Post
In continuation my previous comment, it also hangs when multiple small jobs of counting pages are started.For example, I started 10 jobs of 25 books each. It hanged.
Apart from what @theducks said...

When does it hang? During the original setup of the jobs? Or when the jobs are running? And how long did you leave it for? If it was during the original setup of the jobs, calibre is probably not going to be responding until after that has finished. I have definitely started 100 counts in one batch with no issues. Beyond the overall time it takes to run. And I wouldn't start a bigger batch for exactly that reason.

As to breaking up a large set of counts to be done, it won't be done in the plugin, or at least it won't be done by me. Simple select the ones you want to do in a batch and do them. Keep the batch size manageable as you don't want to have the PC crash for some other reason and not get the calculations recorded.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:53 PM   #1482
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is me, too. By definition pages are irrelevant to ebook reading, I don't care what the dead tree page numbers are, but having a page count calculatedmeans that I can trust with a fair degree of confidence than an 180 "page" book is about half long as a 360 "page" book
Same... but I use "words" instead of pages, so I have something that bears a similarity to ebook reality. It just makes more sense to me.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #1483
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Update to version 1.11.2 - calibre 6/Qt6 compatibility

I have just released version 1.11.2 of the plugin. The only change is to make it compatible with calibre v6/Qt6. It should still be compatible with older versions of calibre, but, I have not tested it with a version earlier than 3.48.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. If there are any issues, please report them here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:40 PM   #1484
costis
costis began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 3
Feature Requests for Language Learning

I love that you have implemented readability options (Gunning Fog Index / Flesch-Kincaid Grade).

For language learning the following ideas for implementation would be great:
1. Count the unique words in an e-book.
2. Count how many unique words are different between certain e-book combinations.

These ideas help language learning with the following.
First, I know I will not meet a lot of unknown words in my next book. Second, I know I will not spend too much time studying a book with only a few new unknown words or, in contrast, too many, making the reading of an e-book painful.

Right now, I do these with the help of ebook-convert and bash scripts but it'd be nice to see them in calibre.
Is there a git page for this plugin? I'm new to the calibre ecosystem hence the question.
costis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #1485
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
Same... but I use "words" instead of pages, so I have something that bears a similarity to ebook reality. It just makes more sense to me.
I have columns in my Calibre for both Page Count and Word Count and notice that there is no consistent relationship between them - a book can have significantly more pages and yet have fewer words than others, or have markedly more words but the same number of pages. So I find the smaller numbers involved in the page count easier to process visually "168" simpler than "45,722" in the attached screenshot for example. Especially since I only see them in Calibre, as I use only the % progress indicator on my device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	counts.png
Views:	582
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	191991  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin