Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
albe3
albe3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
PW3 firmware worth upgrading?

Hi all,

I own a Kindle PW3 (7th generation) with a pretty old version installed (5.9.6.1). Is it worth upgrading to a newer firmware version (like 5.13.3, which is the last jailbreakable)? Which are the main advantages and disadvantages with respect to the older installed one?

Thank you
albe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I've intentionally kept my PW3 on firmware v5.9.7 for years now and don't plan to ever update it.
The UI changes on newer firmwares that I dislike outnumber by far the two things that would be nice to have as officially supported feature:

1) book cover as screensaver.

I already have it as a hack since my PW3 has been jailbreaked.

2) grouping books into series.
This would be nice to have but I can continue to live with just using Calibre's Metadata plugboards to add series info into book title like I've been doing since the days of Kindle 3.
Not even sure if this grouping feature works at all with (converted &) "sideloaded" books... and 100% of my book aren't from Kindle Store. (Kindle Store doesn't offer books in my native language).
And also how would it be effected by the fact that WiFi on my Kindle is always off.

So basically answer to question "to update or not to updates" boils down to personal preferences and what compromises you're willing to accept.

If you really really want some of the newer features then you should update.
As to how you would check what was added with each firmware update you would probably have to go and read each firmare update topic that was opened here on Mobileread forum. So, read up on people's experiences here on Mobileread and decide for yourself.

I personally haven't paid that much attention to those discussions so I only vaguely recall that since fw 5.9.7 there was a redesign of Aa menu, those themes / presets od font and margin settings were added, there was "bloat" added into Homescreen with a further pushing of Kindle Store content, book cover as screensaver was added, grouping books into series things and lastly the latest mojor UI redesign that even messes with core navigation (removal of Back button / replaced it with swype geasture??) when reading a book that many people seriously disliked.

They even messed with Bookerly font and the way it is rendered on screen (they have removed hinting).

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-27-2021 at 07:16 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I REALLY dislike the latest changes. I'd go back to whatever was just prior to 5.13.7 if I knew how and could. Try to look at a sampling of whatever version you are thinking of if you can to be sure you won't dislike what they've done. Good luck.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote