Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
chris33
Enthusiast
chris33 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kobo libra 2
A way to reimport/sync back after annotating on client device

Hi,
I’m wondering if there is a way to select pdf ebooks in calibre and download them to an iPad, then edit them with annotations (pencil) and put them back into the calibre library (same place)?
I have found no eventual plugin for this.
What would be the bets way to perform this ?
Thank you

chris33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
Hi, <snip>

What would be the bets way to perform this ?
Manually

Save the PDFs to disk, wrangle to iPad using i<Whatever>, annotate, wrangle back to the disk, and then replace the PDFs in the library with the annotated versions.

Apple related calibre plugins are notoriously difficult to maintain. This is because Cupertino is forever adding more bricks to its big loot-iful wall.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
chris33
Enthusiast
chris33 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kobo libra 2
Question

Thank you for your answer.
When you say replace the pdf, do you mean I need to do "open file location" and manually replace it ?
Actually I'm running calibre as a container on a server, and the "open file location" doesn't work and doesn't make real sense in a container
Or is there any option to replace a file ?
chris33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
When you say replace the pdf, do you mean I need to do "open file location" and manually replace it ?
Actually I'm running calibre as a container on a server, and the "open file location" doesn't work and doesn't make real sense in a container
Or is there any option to replace a file ?
On Windows I would :
  1. select the book in the calibre book list;
  2. switch to my file manager;
  3. copy the pdf to the clipboard (Ctrl+C);
  4. switch back to calibre;
  5. use the Add Books->Add books to selected books from clipboard tool, which I have customised to Alt+Shift+V;
  6. confirm the "Are you sure you want to do this?" query (optional popup).

There's also the Add Books->Add files to selected books tool, which opens up File Explorer->Open file dialogue, unsure if it can be used to replace existing files - but I would anticipate it can.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, export/import