Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
ahab1972
ahab1972 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs down how to compare new metadata with old before updating

Hi,

I,ve just installed windows 10 x64 and Calibre 2.38.0 x64 and have tried to download metadata for some of my books. Previously I downloaded metadata for a couple of books at a time and then got a view with the new metadata to the right and the old to the left, if I liked what I saw I could then confirm the changes and move on to the metadata of the next book.

When I try to do the same today, I just get a message saying something like "metadata is downloaded, do you want to update the book". I don't get a chance to compare the new metadata with the old.

Can anyone please tell me how to get my "old" view back?

Kind regards,
Andreas
ahab1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab1972 View Post
Hi,

I,ve just installed windows 10 x64 and Calibre 2.38.0 x64 and have tried to download metadata for some of my books. Previously I downloaded metadata for a couple of books at a time and then got a view with the new metadata to the right and the old to the left, if I liked what I saw I could then confirm the changes and move on to the metadata of the next book.

When I try to do the same today, I just get a message saying something like "metadata is downloaded, do you want to update the book". I don't get a chance to compare the new metadata with the old.

Can anyone please tell me how to get my "old" view back?

Kind regards,
Andreas
@ahab1972 - I assume you are using the "bulk metadata download" - Ctrl+D method - when the job finishes you should get a notify message at bottom right corner, viz :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2015_09_23 , 18_49_53.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	142227

Could you post a screen shot if different

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
ahab1972

screen shot

Thank you, betterRed for your support!

As you say, I'm doing ctrl+D and then alt+B to download in bulk and I get a different message than you. I used to get your message before I upgraded to windows 10 and reinstalled Calibre. My message is in Swedish... but a rough translation is:

download of metadata is completed
downloaded metadata for 5 books. continue to update metadata in your library?
could not download metadata and/or cover for 28 of your books. click on "show details" to see which.

and the buttons are:
yes -- no -- show log -- copy to capture tool -- remove downloaded metadata -- show details
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	metadata.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	142242  
Old 09-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you, betterRed for your support!

As you say, I'm doing ctrl+D and then alt+B to download in bulk and I get a different message than you. I used to get your message before I upgraded to windows 10 and reinstalled Calibre. My message is in Swedish... but a rough translation is:

download of metadata is completed
downloaded metadata for 5 books. continue to update metadata in your library?
could not download metadata and/or cover for 28 of your books. click on "show details" to see which.

and the buttons are:
yes -- no -- show log -- copy to capture tool -- remove downloaded metadata -- show details
I think this has to do with Failures (That dialog changes from what was shown by BR if there are issues)

I simply select a group of books, then Ctrl-D
When the results are ready, I use review (no ctrl-B)
and approve/adjust each item.

Since your English is good, you might try switching Calibre UI to English

Preferences: Look and Feel: Main Interface
and see if the results differ
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think this has to do with Failures (That dialog changes from what was shown by BR if there are issues)

I simply select a group of books, then Ctrl-D
When the results are ready, I use review (no ctrl-B)
and approve/adjust each item.

Since your English is good, you might try switching Calibre UI to English

Preferences: Look and Feel: Main Interface
and see if the results differ
I think the OP is pressing Ctrl+D and then Alt+B for both covers and metadata, which is the default -- but it's sometimes a bit hard to see which button is the default - that's probably a QT issue.

If one or more of the downloads fails, in English I get this notify message, Alt-V takes me to Review downloaded metadata which takes me to the review comparisons

Name:	Capture-en.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	142246

In Swedish I get this notify message, Alt-T takes me to Ta Abort nedladdat metadata which takes me to the review comparisons

Name:	Capture_se.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	142247

But according to Google "Ta Abort" translates to "Take abortion". If Google is right then it's obviously a mistake in the translation.

@ahab1972 - if you report it at Bugs : calibre it might be fixed (not sure how translations get fixed) - or perhaps you could 'fix' it, see calibre - Get Involved

Our Prime Minister was Ta Abort'd last week - his name is Tony Abbot

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-23-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I prefer people fix translation issues themselves directly in transifex, as I dont speak all the various languages calibre is translated into so it is easy for me to make mistakes while making changes for a language I dont understand. That said, if you a bug report with an issue about atranslation and provide the correct string, I can update it for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
ahab1972

Thank you!

Thank you for outstanding support!

It was after all a simple bug in the translation... the string "Review downloaded metadata" has mistakenly been translated to the swedish equivalent of "Remove downloaded metadata" (e.g. "ta bort" downloaded metadata).

Google is partly wrong if the translate the swedish "Ta bort" to "take abortion" since "Ta bort" simple means "Remove", no matter if it's an unborn child you remove, or some downloaded metadata (not that I'm comparing the two in any way...). Abortion has it's own swedish translation.

I'd be happy to report this as a bug, if you tell me where to do it (or fix the translation myself).

Kind regards.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I'd be happy to report this as a bug, if you tell me where to do it (or fix the translation myself).
@ahab1972 - if you report it at Bugs : calibre with the correct translation Kovid will make the change

Or perhaps you could 'fix' it, see calibre - Get Involved

cheers BR