Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
BluePhoenix175
BluePhoenix175 began at the beginning.

Device: none
[SOLVED] smooth scrolling between chapters

im using calibre to read eBooks on my laptop

when reading using the built in viewer i get to last few lines in a chapter instead of just scrolling smoothly to the next line it "jumps" placing the first line of the next chapter at the top of the window all of the books i am reading are in EPUB format some were converted from various formats i have used heuristic processing to reduce this with about 30% success

heuristic processing prams
unwrap lines 0.40
delete blank lines between paragraph

i have also tried to use "remove spacing between paragraphs" under look and feel

is there any way that i can eliminate the "chapter jump"?

im new to this forum so if this is in the wrong section i apologize

Last edited by BluePhoenix175; 10-29-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: solved
BluePhoenix175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The jump is probably happening at a split (new file started because of big size and required by many devices. IMPH splitting at a natural point, like a chapter, is better than having the mandatory break invoked)

The Calibre viewer has a Paged mode (which is what I think you are using) or a Smooth mode. The scroll icon controls this.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
BluePhoenix175

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The jump is probably happening at a split (new file started because of big size and required by many devices. IMPH splitting at a natural point, like a chapter, is better than having the mandatory break invoked)

The Calibre viewer has a Paged mode (which is what I think you are using) or a Smooth mode. The scroll icon controls this.
its jumping every chapter weather that chapter has 1 word or 8000, i have tried both paged and scroll mode and that does not keep it from "jumping". it scrolls just fine up to the point that it reaches the end of the chapter then it "jumps". i understand that it needs to break up large files i can deal wit the occasional "jump" but "jumping" every chapter gets just a bit annoying
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to htmlz and view that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
BluePhoenix175

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert to htmlz and view that.
that fixed it thanks

can i ask why that fixed it (e.g. encoding of the format, the way it sees chapters..ect) i prefer to know why/how things go wrong not just how to fix them

again thanks
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
htmlz contains the entire text as a single html file. epub contains it as multiple files and the jump happens on every new file. You can control the creation of the multiple files via the page break options under structure detection and the split option under epub output.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
BluePhoenix175

ahh ok that makes sense thanks