Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 09-16-2004, 03:28 AM   #16
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor
I'd like to try out the new image conversion processing using imagemagik but I can't find settings to select it over the "standard" method. Are there any instructions associated with this feature?
I've posted a short article about ImageMagick in the JPluck News section.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:39 AM   #17
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
It works.
I have a different problem now. In preferences I specified the path to my cookies, but apparently, Sunrise is not using them. What might be the problem?
I use Firefox, btw.
Well, actually I have no idea. You could try a tool like Proxomitron to monitor the HTTP headers. By configuring Sunrise to use Proxomitron as the proxy, you can view the cookies that it sends for each HTTP request. You can then compare it to the requests made by Firefox.

I'm using Firefox myself and cookies work fine for me, but I'm only using them with NY Times. I know that people are using Sunrise with subscription-based sites such as Wall Street Journal and Salon.

Sunrise 0.4 will have a dedicated cookie manager. You can let Sunrise collect the cookies from Mozilla only for the first conversion. After that, it updates the cookies independently from the browser. You can also edit cookies manually, similar to iSiloX.
Advert
Old 09-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #18
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I've posted a short article about ImageMagick in the JPluck News section.
Thanks... unless you are actively looking for people to test this, I think I'll just wait until it's more integrated within Sunrise.

Francesco, Sunrise seems to be recognizing my cookies (created with Firefox 0.9.3). Did you upgrade upgrade to Firefox 1.0pr? Perhaps it stores cookies slightly differently... just making wild guesses here.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:23 AM   #19
Laurens
Jah Blessed

I just installed Firefox 1.0PR and cookies still seem to be working fine. I converted some articles from NY Times to verify.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
mercedes
Apple and Sony zealot
mercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it is

Device: TH55
Laurens,

There is a JXL for the NYT text edition. Will there be an SDL for it? NYT does not do a very good job with their rss feeds. They are short and outdated.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #21
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Okay, this is a bit off-topic. Will there be an update to the PluckThis extension for Mozilla 1.0PR? I know that it is not connected to Sunrise but PluckThis works great and it would be nice to see both Plucker and eventually Sunrise format versions...
Old 09-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #22
Laurens
Jah Blessed

New York Times text version

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes
There is a JXL for the NYT text edition. Will there be an SDL for it? NYT does not do a very good job with their rss feeds. They are short and outdated.
As a special "exclusive" for MobileRead users I offer the New York Times text version SDL.

You can find it in the updated examples archive: sdl-examples-mr.zip (the link is not mentioned on my own site)

The SDL you need is "nytimes-text.sdl". It includes the majority of sections from the NYT text version.

You must have an NYT login and cookies set up for this SDL to work. (Otherwise you get redirected to the login page.)

Technical note: this SDL uses an XSLT stylesheet that strips away all the navigational clutter and leaves only the article links on the page. It also rewrites the links so that they point to the printer-friendly versions.

Last edited by Laurens; 09-16-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #23
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
Okay, this is a bit off-topic. Will there be an update to the PluckThis extension for Mozilla 1.0PR? I know that it is not connected to Sunrise but PluckThis works great and it would be nice to see both Plucker and eventually Sunrise format versions...
I just installed PluckThis in Firefox 1.0PR and it works fine. There will be no more updates to JPluck or PluckThis, though - at least not from me.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 PM   #24
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
As a special "exclusive" for MobileRead users I offer the New York Times text version SDL.
That figures! Just as I leave Palm behind, there appears a clean solution to the perennial NYT problem. I'll be waiting for that Sunrise port to PPC, Laurens! Put me on your beta tester list...
Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 AM   #25
mercedes
Apple and Sony zealot
mercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it is

Device: TH55
Wow! Thanks Laurens! Sunrise is turning out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

The SDL works fine. Sometimes I have to convert more than once to get a section to work because the NYT introduces an advertisement and it messes up the script. For example I tried to covert the National news section and all I got was a file that was less than 1 KB. I looked at the file in my Palm and it just said NYT Advertisement. It converted fine after the third attempt. Other sections converted fine the first time but some headlines would go to an advertisement while others would go to the story.

The advertisements are random so don't worry about it and just concentrate on developing your viewer.

Thank you for your work and contributions. Now I just need to learn XSLT so that I can covert other sites myself.

forum members:

I use mozilla firefox and Win XP. To find the cookies file to use with sunrise go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

within the profiles folder I had another folder and within that folder I found the cookies file.