Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
I'm a Phil Plait fan myself. He does a good job debunking a lot of these "theories".
He is a hero to humankind. I love that guy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
He is a hero to humankind. I love that guy.
Lots of wonderful replies to my query.

How on earth do these type of books manage to get published? It goes to show that all one has to do is ask MR and lots of replies comes one's way.

Many thanks to all.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

How on earth do these type of books manage to get published? It goes to show that all one has to do is ask MR and lots of replies comes one's way.

Many thanks to all.

I have a degree in Classical archaeology, soooo people like Graham Hancock drive me crazy. And people like Philip Plait are my heroes.

Hey, if you're interested in an archaeology book that reads easily, check out "Schliemann of Troy" by I forget who. It's a super fascinating book on the man who "discovered" Troy and Mycenae. Those finds are critical for our understanding both of those civilizations, yet if one looks closer there's a serious chance of a lot of the finds being faked. I doubt it is available as an ebook, but it is worth checking out.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

I'm really enjoying the discussions here and would like to see them continue. I know a little about a lot but, not enough to feel comfortable joining in. I just enjoy following what's discussed and the links provided for additional information and clarification. Please continue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with what the Mayans said. Could you explain?
Harry T. the below link is one quick explaination about the connection of: Mayans, precession, and the year 2012.

http://www.astro.uu.nl/~strous/AA/en/2012.html

Last edited by dreams; 04-12-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: fix link
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #20
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Hey, if you're interested in an archaeology book that reads easily, check out "Schliemann of Troy" by I forget who. It's a super fascinating book on the man who "discovered" Troy and Mycenae. Those finds are critical for our understanding both of those civilizations, yet if one looks closer there's a serious chance of a lot of the finds being faked. I doubt it is available as an ebook, but it is worth checking out.

Many thanks 'lilac jive.'

Actually, I Read about Schlieman many years ago, but it's well worth a re-read. What sticks in my mind is the picture of his wife wearing 'the gold of Troy'.

I'll check at our library.

I now have a list of books as long as my arm to read.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Harry T. the below link is one quick explaination about the connection of: Mayans, precession, and the year 2012.

http://www.astro.uu.nl/~strous/AA/en/2012.html
Thank you. I'm afraid I see nothing terribly convincing in that argument. I am willing to wager a very large sum of money that absolutely nothing will happen on that date .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Thank you. I'm afraid I see nothing terribly convincing in that argument. I am willing to wager a very large sum of money that absolutely nothing will happen on that date .
I'll take that wager!! - I'm sure something will happen on that date.
I will have breakfast for one thing.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... nothing in the way of the claimed "unusual celestial phenomena", I mean .
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Quote:
I'll bet a small sum of money that if it's on a weekday, I'll be at work.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #25
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Many thanks to all.

With deep embarrassment I must admit to greatly enjoying Hancock's "The Sign and the Seal". The whole time I was reading it, I was aware that the science was hopelessly off, but the book was so much fun! It was like a better written "Da Vinci Code". Maybe pseudo history books like Hancock's are bubble gum for the mind - no nutritional value but they keep the child inside us entertained.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
And if you lose, and time comes to an end and the universe disappears how will I collect?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Precisely my point - it's a safe bet from my perspective .