Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #16
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
David, here is what I said:

"BTW re contrast: Koreader adjusts the contrast very well.

(At least on my Libra H20 (i.e Libra 1)"

Now seriously: I said Libra H20, which makes it clear what I'm referring to, if you are familar with all the naming conventions by Kobo.
I then added "Libra 1", merely to indicate I'm referring to the first Libra. This would add clarification for others.

So I was providing correct info and then ADDING MORE clarification.

The fact you would take time out of your life to criticise that is really ridiculous, which is why I bring up harassment, since we've had disagreements before (from memory).

I can honestly see no reason why someone would take time out to critique the offering of EXTRA info unless they had a grudge - hence my suggestion of harassment.

BTW: do you know little kids are starving to death in Africa?

Please, get a sense of proportion.

What you said was PETTY !

And because its derailed the whole purpose of my post, after (my possible reply to) your next reply its the end of the convo as far as Im concerned.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-02-2021 at 04:23 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post

BTW: do you know little kids are starving to death in Africa?

Please, get a sense of proportion.

And you whinge about David harassing you?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is like playing Whac-A-Mole. Knock off arguing about proper and improper names of devices, please. It rapidly goes beyond “Discuss Things Politely.” No purpose is served; no minds are changed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #19
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Yes, so back to the thread...any shortcomings of the Forma...
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #20
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I'm disappointed in the Sage and think the Forma was a much better device when it was released, but would still opt to buy a new Sage over a new Forma if buying now. Especially if I was insistent on 32GB of storage.

Incidentally, there is no legitimate reason to need more than 8GB if one is reading books. Once you've loaded more than a thousand books on a device, any argument for needing more pretty much dissolves.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Once you've loaded more than a thousand books on a device, any argument for needing more pretty much dissolves.
I agree. I had 2200 on my H2O2 and it was just over 25% full. Even if I somehow read one every day, that was 6+years of reading.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Incidentally, there is no legitimate reason to need more than 8GB if one is reading books. Once you've loaded more than a thousand books on a device, any argument for needing more pretty much dissolves.
The reason is simple: I just like to put several thousand books on my ereader. Do I need it? Of course not. But then I don't NEED an ereader in general. I could still read paper books.

Not everything in life is and should be done only because you need it (else why read ficton, why watch movies, why travel, why eat comfort foods and so on).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My perspective on the power button, having just purchased the Forma...

At first it was terrible. It was so stiff, it was almost unusable. It would probably take me 6 tries before I could get it to go to sleep. I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to power it down during the initial period. I installed NickleMenu entries and used a magnet to help me get around the problem. If it had a glass substrate, I would be worried about breaking it.

After a couple of weeks, it seems to have worn in and it has become 'acceptable'. If I try hard, I can probably get it to sleep on the first try 95% of the time. I do wish it still wasn't so hard.

My mother is 88 and doesn't complain about her power button. Her Forma is probably 3 years old.

If you have problems with your hands, then the Forma may not be for you, otherwise, if it checks all your other wants, you would probably be happy with a Forma.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #24
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Do the Sage and Forma have a flat front? By flat front I mean they don’t have a bevel around the screen to collect debris.

Also, where can I find pictures of the menus and homescreen of the Forma/Sage? Looking to replace my Paperwhite where the homescreen is a pain (I just want a list of my side loaded books).

Last edited by harriska2; 12-02-2021 at 11:53 AM.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #25
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The screen of the Forma is certainly not worse than the Libra 1. If anything, it's better. But yes, the frontlight was uneven on some devices. Then again, so was the frontlight on the Libra 1.

If all you want is a larger screen, get a Forma. From what I've read, the Forma is not as good contrast-wise as the new Kobos (Sage and Libra 2), but that may not be important to you.

Still, the Forma is 3 years old and I wouldn't pay the full price for it. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please keep in mind that I do not own a Forma.

Here are three downsides to purchasing a Forma:

1) The device was introduced in Nov. 2018 and, although still listed as being for sale, the Sage has effectively 'replaced' the Forma.

2) The 'Wedge of Woe' light issue.

3) The price has been lowered to approx. $209.99, ($40 off the regular price) for the 8-gig unit, but it is still too high in the opinion of some people.
It is very interesting that the people most negative to Forma... has never used or owned it themselves.

Last edited by martinot; 12-02-2021 at 11:54 AM.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #26
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Do the Sage and Forma have a flat front? By flat front I mean they don’t have a bevel around the screen to collect debris.
Yes, they both have flush screens, just like the Aura 1 (which is what I personally prefer).
Old 12-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
It is very interesring that the people most negative to Forma... has never used or owned it themselves.

I'm not negative toward the Forma. I just go by what I've read about it. The complaints about the frontlight were numerous here when the Forma was released in 2018. And as to contrast, I've read about it in more than one place.

OTOH, you don't own the Sage, so your comparisons between the Forma and the Sage are exactly the same as mine: going by what others say.

I've never denied that the Forma is lighter and more ergonomic than the Sage. Of course it is. But as I said, paying the price of the newly released device for the previous one is not what I'd do. YMMV.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #28
martinot
Swedish Kobo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never denied that the Forma is lighter and more ergonomic than the Sage. Of course it is. But as I said, paying the price of the newly released device for the previous one is not what I'd do. YMMV.
Usually everything gets better with a newer device or product replacing the old one, regardless if it is a phone, computer or other device; it gets faster, thinner, better screens, longer battery life, etc.

But that is not always the case, even if it usually are. So on some rare occasions, older might actually be a better product and deal, even for the same price.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #29
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
No problems with my Forma.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
Usually everything gets better with a newer device or product replacing the old one, regardless if it is a phone, computer or other device; it gets faster, thinner, better screens, longer battery life, etc.

But that is not always the case, even if it usually are. So on some rare occasions, older might actually be a better product and deal, even for the same price.
That's subjective, because people value different features. I said I wouldn't pay the full price for the Forma; I didn't say anyone else should not do that.

Personally I don't think the Forma is better than the Sage. Obviously you do and of course you have as much right to your opinion as I have to mine.