Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Kindle Speeds? Tricks to speed things up?

I am borrowing a Kindle Keyboard (not sure which generation) and it seems lightning fast compared with my Kindle Dx.

* Opening collections takes about a second on the Keyboard, 3 seconds on the Dx.

* Adding bookmarks takes about a second on the Keyboard, 10 to 15 seconds on the Dx.

* Adding books to new collections can take 20 to 30 seconds on the Dx. It's a frustrating time sink if I'm trying to move articles I've read to special collections.

Is there a way to compare Kindle speeds? Between K1/K2, Dx, Keyboard, maybe the newer Voyage and Oasis?

I'm already using some user-end tricks to try to speed things up, not sure if there are better options:

* I've trimmed a lot of books off my Kindle. I would like to have a mix of reading and handy reference, but...

* I use Willus' k2opt to pre-process pdfs for my Kindle. I've also tried Ghostscript but the k2pdf files are much faster to open and load.

* I use Calibre for collections management.

I'd also installed Launchpad and Librerator on my Kindle. I haven't used them in a long time, so as long as I can still use Calibre to set up Kindle collections, I'm open to uninstalling them.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I've trimmed my on-Kindle library to 313 books, and reset Calibre to *only* export books I've tagged #Statusx to the Kindle.

Most of the remaining books are pdfs, often large pdfs.

I think it's running slightly faster than before.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Funny to find this old thread - this morning, I noticed how slow my Oasis 3 actually is compared to my Voyage. Both have an Amazon case with wake function, and while the Oasis 3 takes a good few seconds, the Voyage is on and ready for use almost instantly.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
Funny to find this old thread - this morning, I noticed how slow my Oasis 3 actually is compared to my Voyage. Both have an Amazon case with wake function, and while the Oasis 3 takes a good few seconds, the Voyage is on and ready for use almost instantly.
That's because the Oasis hibernates when not in use. The battery lasts for months in hibernation. The Voyage battery runs down much faster when it's asleep.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Which is in a way ironic, because I find the Voyage battery to last longer when reading, compared to the faster depletion of the Oasis 3

I guess it all works out somehow, but I found a bit of lost love for my Voyage again - despite its 6" screen and no cellular coverage.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
tonywalker23
tonywalker23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a voyage but am eyeing an oasis 3. I do a good bit of reading at night, and I think I would like the color temperature in the screen and version features.
tonywalker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
tonywalker23
tonywalker23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Screen inversion
tonywalker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywalker23 View Post
Screen inversion
The Paperwhite also has this feature. I actually enjoy having it on all the time, maybe it is the novelty of it I find appealing, or because all my other devices use Dark Mode or theme wherever possible.

I still prefer reading on my iPad mini at night. Even though b/w inversion on Kindle seems to throw off less light, it is still a whole lot more light (and much lower contrast) than any tablet (using Dark theme).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle dx, kindle keyboard, speed