Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I really hate reading paper books these days. I'm considering seeing how fast I can rip them to digital with acceptable quality. I have a scanner with ADF, OCR software, and I'm not totally averse to destroying the paper copy. It seems a bit of a waste of resources, though. Of course, it may not really be worthwhile considering I rarely re-read books. I guess it will depend on how soon after release they lower the price.
If you know where to look, I'm sure you can find that someone has already done the work for you.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Since it seems that publishers only understand, and only care about, one thing - money
Kind of ironic, since the rest of your post gives the impression that the only thing readers like you care about is money as well.

charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Kind of ironic, since the rest of your post gives the impression that the only thing readers like you care about is money as well.

I wouldn't call it ironic. No one expects the publishers to work on loss or with minimal income. It's the greediness that's not well taken.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I wouldn't call it ironic. No one expects the publishers to work on loss or with minimal income. It's the greediness that's not well taken.

If the only thing I cared about was money, I wouldn't even bother to try to purchase a legitimate copy, I would download an illegal copy for free.

As LCF points out, the issue is greed, or fair pricing for a commodity - two related sides of an economic issue. The original post expressed my personal opinion on this issue.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It would be quite eye-opening if - say, after the launch of a bestseller - with the higher ebook price model in place, or a delayed ebook release - if torrent/sharing sites reported download statistics to the publishers - showing them how much their model cost them.
Some torrent sites have public trackers which make that information readily available - total downloaded and uploaded numbers, total complete copies distributed, and so forth. I'm not familiar with any of the sites used to so distribute eBooks, but if any use torrents it would not surprise me to discover the information is there for the publishers to use at their leisure.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Wow! Look out the window! Look at that huge queue of VCs piling up to invest in digital publishing!

Oh, wait...

Publishers aren't being greedy, they're trying to stay alive.

I intend to still be reading books in twenty years' time. I want a market where publishers are still around to provide me with stuff I'll want to read.
(And no, vanity publishing isn't the answer.)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
csdaley
csdaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have been waiting for the book to come down to a price point I will buy it for. I have plenty to read and figure waiting allows me to send the message on what price I am willing to pay.

http://www.csdaley.com/2010/01/amazon-slap-down.html

http://www.csdaley.com/2010/01/book-...goes-boom.html
csdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
ROFL! You guys are something, ya know that? You guys remind me of my old forum members over at raiden.net. They're still there, but I'm not the owner anymore. But they were just about as silly as you guys. ^_^
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote