Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #91
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
App for using the N7 like a phone

I wrote a little about this on one of the other (non-Android) MR places, but I thought I should also post this here.

Try Talkatone. If you have Google Voice with a US phone number, and have set GV up to forward to Google Chat, you can both make and receive calls on your N7.

I live in Canada, and people have to call a US number to get me this way. Not a problem for my family, who are all in the US, but this could be a deal breaker for other Canadians. Of course, I still have a cell phone and a landline, so I suppose they can continue to call my Canadian number using one of those .

The big deal is that I can call anyone in the US or Canada over WiFi using GV on my cell phone and now, on the N7.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #92
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Hey Did a bench mark using nenamark2 before I returned the Nexus, just wanted to share that it benched at 56-59 fps while the galaxy tab 2 benched at 20.6 fps

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #93
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Anyone know of a good handwriting to type app.

Tried a few but they seem to just save it as an image, I wanted the notes to be converted to actual text.

Tamming, hrm yes been waiting years for Google Voice to come to the UK, one day...along with some comics and tvshows for the N7, oh and Google music too please. Your closer can you not pop over and have a word? :-)
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #94
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
How is the N7 better than a rooted Nook Color?

I've seen the specs (processor, resolution, etc.). But what can a N7 *do* that a rooted NC can't?

Last edited by tlc; 07-30-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Boiling it down.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #95
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
I've seen the specs (processor, resolution, etc.). But what can a N7 *do* that a rooted NC can't?
For me, the specs = something that the NC can't do - the NC is quite slow compared to the N7 ...

However, to answer your question more precisely, I've enjoyed skype video calls on my N7, the microphone for voice recognition, the built-in GPS for navigation, the games that won't function on the NC (specs are too inferior), bluetooth that works for headsets/headphones, BT that works great for PS3 controller.

I actually find for reading that I miss the raised bezels on the NC, especially when I don't have the N7 in a case (currently using a B&N NC case until the one I ordered comes).
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #96
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
For me, the specs = something that the NC can't do - the NC is quite slow compared to the N7 ...

However, to answer your question more precisely, I've enjoyed skype video calls on my N7, the microphone for voice recognition, the built-in GPS for navigation, the games that won't function on the NC (specs are too inferior), bluetooth that works for headsets/headphones, BT that works great for PS3 controller.

I actually find for reading that I miss the raised bezels on the NC, especially when I don't have the N7 in a case (currently using a B&N NC case until the one I ordered comes).
Completely agree. I have a Nook Color with CM7/CM9 dual-boot and the Nexus 7 is in a different league entirely. I've always hated the lagginess and unresponsiveness on the NC so after I got tired playing with rooting the device and everything, I just stopped using it. Going from Nook Color to Nexus 7 is like going from the original 2G iPhone to the iPhone 4S.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #97
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Arrow USB hard drive on Nexus 7

I just plugged in my 2.5-inch 1 TB USB hard drive into my Nexus 7 USB OTG. It is NTFS formatted. StickMount mounted it. I am now playing a 1080p video that is an 8GB file.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Nexus 7 supplies enough power to run the USB hard drive just fine.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #98
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
Just picked up my Nexus 7 from the UPS depot this afternoon. Dead easy to set up (about 45 minutes). My eBooks are on it now and I am up and running after only 90 minutes. So far I love the form factor, speed, screen, graphics responsiveness. The Transformer movie that is part of the package shows off some of the best features of the GPU.

I am pleased on day 1.
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #99
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Install the free "crackle" app. It has free streaming movies that play nicely on the N7.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #100
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Last I spoke to a Gamestop employee there next "allotment" is already spoken for via preorders. Guess how many that is? Guess how many they got the first go around?

The availability up to this point in my area is a joke. Joe/Jane who rather deal via local retailers will quickly forget about this one with the other tablets that will be released I'd guess pre Thanksgiving.

Even Walmart's website shows it out of stock. And Amazon is selling at a premium.

Last edited by robertc88; 08-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #101
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Anyone know of a good handwriting to type app.

Tried a few but they seem to just save it as an image, I wanted the notes to be converted to actual text.

Tamming, hrm yes been waiting years for Google Voice to come to the UK, one day...along with some comics and tvshows for the N7, oh and Google music too please. Your closer can you not pop over and have a word? :-)
There is a fabulous keyboard alternative that offers both voice to text and handwriting to text, as well as being a terrific keyboard replacement. It's called Flex T9 (awful name for a great product) and is made by the same people who do Dragon transcription software. For me, it's so crucial it's one of the reasons I gave up my Kindle Fire in exchange for a Nexus 7. Oh, and the keyboard also does swipe. Simply fantastic. Best keyboard - at least of the dozen I've tried.
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #102
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Last I spoke to a Gamestop employee there next "allotment" is already spoken for via preorders. Guess how many that is? Guess how many they got the first go around?

The availability up to this point in my area is a joke. Joe/Jane who rather deal via local retailers will quickly forget about this one with the other tablets that will be released I'd guess pre Thanksgiving.

Even Walmart's website shows it out of stock. And Amazon is selling at a premium.
It's in stock at the Play store, both 8GB and 16GB.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #103
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
There is a fabulous keyboard alternative that offers both voice to text and handwriting to text, as well as being a terrific keyboard replacement. It's called Flex T9 (awful name for a great product) and is made by the same people who do Dragon transcription software. For me, it's so crucial it's one of the reasons I gave up my Kindle Fire in exchange for a Nexus 7. Oh, and the keyboard also does swipe. Simply fantastic. Best keyboard - at least of the dozen I've tried.
I like Touch Pal. You can swipe up on a key to get capitals, swipe down to get the symbol or number and it can even be used for Asian languages.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #104
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
Yes I totally agree with the recommendation here, FlexT9 is my favorite keyboard and its the fastest with its Swype system. Of course as I'm typing this in using the SwiftKeys keyboard. So maybe I'll add Swiftkey to the list. Swiftkey did not become good until version 3.

What I find is on a phone FlexT9 is far superior because the screen constraints (on smaller screen it's easier to swipe than to touch type) and the ability to type with one hand . On a tablet they are on par and I type just as fast with each keyword since the screen is more spacious and SwiftKey text predictions is excellent. The larger screen size also requires the use of both hands.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #105
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's in stock at the Play store, both 8GB and 16GB.
Sure seems like they are trying to cut out any retailers like Gamestop and Staples amongst others from selling any decent quantity of this tablet.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote