Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #361
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
WFAN SportsRadio 66 out of NYC I believe.

Can you do multiply things at the same time with whatever you listen to with TuneIn?
It's a CBS station, right? Tune in used to have these, but they have been removed - CBS wants to be able to monetize the advertising on net listening - they have their own app. I don't know if there is a Kindle Fire compatible one yet - i have it on my phone.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #362
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
It looks like listening to other radio stations on different apps will be available in the background with ICS unless I'm misunderstanding. I sure am anxious to be able to do so with the sports talk station I mentioned.
Has there been some news about an ICS update? I was under the impression Amazon was in no hurry to do an update. That would be good news (hope I missed it)
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #363
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Somewhere here I read that an app killer or task killer isn't necessary and actually may be harmful on Android devices. I was using one and found that I constantly had all kinds of apps opened that I hadn't used. I stopped using the app killer and it appears that when I leave an app it does not stay open and I have not seen apps running in the background that I have not used. GOOD ADVICE
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #364
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Somewhere here I read that an app killer or task killer isn't necessary and actually may be harmful on Android devices. I was using one and found that I constantly had all kinds of apps opened that I hadn't used. I stopped using the app killer and it appears that when I leave an app it does not stay open and I have not seen apps running in the background that I have not used. GOOD ADVICE
Some apps run services in the background. so they stay open. A Task Killer will show you this while Fire's application listing wont. I always ignore the services. The only apps I had trouble closing is Doggcatcher and Mantano but I know how to fix that now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #365
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Some apps run services in the background. so they stay open. A Task Killer will show you this while Fire's application listing wont. I always ignore the services. The only apps I had trouble closing is Doggcatcher and Mantano but I know how to fix that now.
Ah, it sounds a lot like Windows in that respect. Actually I have been checking with the app killers but not killing. I do seem to have less stuff running in the background. I have decided not to worry about it. It's not a phone. I'm unlikely to need it in an emergency.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #366
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, it sounds a lot like Windows in that respect. Actually I have been checking with the app killers but not killing. I do seem to have less stuff running in the background. I have decided not to worry about it. It's not a phone. I'm unlikely to need it in an emergency.
Yes very much so. The problem is killing a service it just starts back up. It's different then closing an app.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #367
beej231
Addict

Ice Cream Sandwich Interface

I saw a Youtube video for loading the ICS interface without rooting which I did and it worked out fine. I can choose between the ICS launcher or the tired Kindle book shelves. Of course the kid (it's almost all kids doing these videos) recommended that you DO root your device to get more "functionality."

My question is, what does the Kindle Fire lack in functionality? Is it just the broader choice of apps that is attractive or is there something the Fire is missing. I haven't found anything that I needed to do that I couldn't do but I'm a casual user. What's lacking?

Thoughts?
Barb
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #368
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I saw a Youtube video for loading the ICS interface without rooting which I did and it worked out fine. I can choose between the ICS launcher or the tired Kindle book shelves. Of course the kid (it's almost all kids doing these videos) recommended that you DO root your device to get more "functionality."

My question is, what does the Kindle Fire lack in functionality? Is it just the broader choice of apps that is attractive or is there something the Fire is missing. I haven't found anything that I needed to do that I couldn't do but I'm a casual user. What's lacking?

Thoughts?
Barb
I don't know about Ice cream sandwich but I use Go! Launcher and really like it. It gives me a normal Android home screen that I can use widgets with. I can better organize my apps and it takes just a tap to switch back to Amazon's Launcher. The only issue is the wallpaper defaults to the Amazon's but I just ignore it.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #369
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would like to root the Kindle, remove the preinstalled apps and deroot the kindle. Can I do this and if I go back to an unrooted Kindle Fire will the preinstalled apps reappear? What is the safest relatively uncomplicated rooter out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #370
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know about Ice cream sandwich but I use Go! Launcher and really like it. It gives me a normal Android home screen that I can use widgets with. I can better organize my apps and it takes just a tap to switch back to Amazon's Launcher. The only issue is the wallpaper defaults to the Amazon's but I just ignore it.
I tried that one too. What functionality do you think the Kindle Fire lacks. Do ppl want the Android Market, Google Apps? What's missing?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #371
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I tried that one too. What functionality do you think the Kindle Fire lacks. Do ppl want the Android Market, Google Apps? What's missing?
For me it was Widgets and the ability to put my home screen the way I want it minus the wallpaper. the shortcut feature does not work on the Fire. This is something I like to have but other then that it does almost everything a normal tablet does. there is no google sync unless you install the market. So apps that use that feature are useless.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #372
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just heard this one on the latest Kindle Chronicles podcast #181
When using the KF keyboard, if you hold down the period " . " it will pop up a submenu keyboard with 14 of the most common punctuation marks in 2 rows of 7.

You keep your finger pressed down with out lifting, then slide to the one you want to choose and then lift up to insert that character.
Pretty cool.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #373
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
When using the KF keyboard, if you hold down the period " . " it will pop up a submenu keyboard with 14 of the most common punctuation marks in 2 rows of 7.

You keep your finger pressed down with out lifting, then slide to the one you want to choose and then lift up to insert that character.
Pretty cool.
Trying it now...

!-+!!

Cool! It works!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #374
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
My pleasure and yes it is cool.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #375
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post

Pretty cool.
(Ok now it's time to play with holding down keys) that is just too cool!

I just realized the numbers are above the qwerty row and are activated with a long press and slide. 1236780. Of course the symbols are automatically available for selection between words. Just look above the keyboard, where the auto complete line is.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote