Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
touchscreen gesture failures

Often my Vox touchscreen behaves just as I would expect.

Sometimes it does not.

Sometimes I can keep pressing the "buttons" (menu, back) and nothing happens.

Sometimes a couple of missed button presses are delayed and happen together (eg. two backs when I meant one).

Sometimes when I'm browsing a web page, a swipe meant to scroll the page causes a link click instead.

Sometimes holding a link (waiting for a menu to appear) instead causes the link to be clicked.

My intuitive explanation is that the capacitive sensor(s) are uneven in their sensitivity.

Note: I don't experience this problem with other tablets I use (HP TouchPad, iPad1, Asus Transformer).

I wondered if dry winter air might be the cause, so I dampened my hands slightly but that didn't help.

Does anyone else have experience like this? Is it a known problem?

How would you deal with this? Should I just ask for a replacement/repair?

Last edited by DHR; 01-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I've seen instances of the screen and buttons not responding, like it's frozen. Links launching while swiping the screen to scroll is very common and annoying. Trying to scroll through hundreds of libraries with the browser and accidentally setting off a wrong link is especially taxing and time consuming.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
I find the menu button to be non-responsive quite a lot. I admit I did keep the plastic screen saver on that came with the Kobo, however. But I did try the menu button by lifting the plastic, and it is still non-responsive at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr
Links launching while swiping the screen to scroll is very common and annoying. Trying to scroll through hundreds of libraries with the browser and accidentally setting off a wrong link is especially taxing and time consuming.
I agree, that is so annoying! I'm trying to figure out a way to scroll without hitting any other links, which is kind of difficult to do.

edit: as far as other 'devices', I find the Kobo Touch to be non-responsive when I tap to turn a page, occasionally, and then it will turn two pages ahead on the next tap. Could be a Kobo 'thing'?

Last edited by dee_can; 01-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I kept the protective film on the screen for about a month, until the dust bubbles (some original, some from lifting the film) became too annoying. Seems to me the bare glass screen is easier to "swipe", but I didn't notice any change in sensitivity. Swiping works better in the browser with a strong WiFi signal. With a weak signal it lags and freezes some, contributing to false launches.

I found the top right hand corner of the screen a bit "dead", where you see the annotation icon in the Vox reader. It would take several taps and touches to open the annotations, which I use for bookmarks so I don't get lost when browsing footnotes, etc. The double page turn is common, not just on the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote