Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Rip from EPUB from "Adobe Digital Editions"?

I have just BOUGHT a book on WH Smith and am finding that that it has some deplorable DRM that forces me to read it in a terrible piece of software called Adobe Digital Editions. I want to read it as an epub on my Irex reader.

What do I need to do?
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Google for Apprentice Alf.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thread topic is very misleading. The thread topic makes it read like Adobe is abandoning ePub via ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As pdurrant says Google is your friend (DRM removal can't be discussed here).

You Irex supports ADE DRM last I checked so you should be able to transfer the book as is if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thread topic is very misleading. The thread topic makes it read like Adobe is abandoning ePub via ADE.
I had no problem understanding it :shrugs:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thanks for the advice.

Why can't DRM removal be discussed?

Is that an illegal act in itself? If so, where is it illegal and what is the law? I am a Finnish citizen, I normally live in the United Kingdom but I am currently in Latvia. The forum is based in Canada according to Firefox.
Sorry I just can't help going on a rant about this.... No responses needed.

I have purchased this ebook. It cost £7.95.
Surely I can do what I like with it?

Last edited by martienne; 07-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Why is it illegal to discuss removing DRM?
Is that an illegal act in itself?
I have purchased this ebook. Surely I can do what I like with it?
In some places, including the UK, it is illegal. A lot of folks do it anyway as they find it morally OK since they bought the book and they don't plan to post it for download or pass copies around. If you don't pass it around who's to know you removed the DRM?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Why can't DRM removal be discussed?
There is language in the US DMCA that can be read as making helping with DRM removal unlawful. I don't know anyone who thinks this is enforceable if the help is just words though. On the other hand, it does not pay to underestimate what a US federal prosecutor will do when a large company asks them to go after someone.

Apprentice Alf's Blog does such a good job with the the practical aspects of DRM removal that there is little need to discuss them here. It is ok to discuss DRM in general, e.g. how stupid the entire idea is etcetera. One of the better discussions here is Xenophon (and many others) in DRM: What did you buy? (An Essay.)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One of the better discussions here is Xenophon (and many others) in DRM: What did you buy? (An Essay.)
Thanks for the reference; it's excellent.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I have purchased this ebook. It cost £7.95.
Surely I can do what I like with it?
Actually, you purchased a license to read to book. You did not buy the book. Look at the little letters.

However, I agree with you. The first thing I do when I buy a book is remove the DRM. In that manner I am able for example to change the format when that is better for me.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote