Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
jeyjey
jeyjey began at the beginning.

Device: Linux
Saving edited files

Hi. I am new and I am a writer. I want to create ebook and submit them to Amazon marketplace. I used an online service to produce the ebook files. At the moment I want to change this way to do. I am creating the epub files with Calibre. I notice that on Amazon the epub is not well imported. For example I want to insert some ttf set and I want to show them in the book. When I browse the epub file I can notice that in some chapters the ttf fonts are not rendered. So I change the epub file with the CALIBRE Editor. After the file are changed the editor is closed and then the problem remains. So how can I save DEFinitively save and export my modified files with Calibre? Thanks.
jeyjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lots of stuff to learn for this one. ( A lot of good info is in the MR Wiki)

When you added a font file using the File menu in the editor, it supplied some code on (on the clipboard), that you need to PASTE into your LINKED CSS.
This may-will need adjusting (path in the book, Family name)

The code for where it gets used, needs MOST of that same info in the font use call: Family, weight, style

BUT
You can't just embed fonts into books for sale/distribution. You need PERMISSION ($$) from the font foundry in many cases.
(adding for personal use is a breeze. You need waaaay more experience for commercial use. Not all devices allow publisher font usage)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
jeyjey
jeyjey began at the beginning.

Device: Linux
Thanks, many thanks. I probably will deactivate fonts. In any cases if I modify the files with the html the modifier ask for saving. Ok I save the file, the preview is as I want. Then I reopen the file for read, and it doesn't show the elements modified. So if I insert a paid, and licenced font, how can rebuild the epub file with new modified elements?
jeyjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyjey View Post
Thanks, many thanks. I probably will deactivate fonts. In any cases if I modify the files with the html the modifier ask for saving. Ok I save the file, the preview is as I want. Then I reopen the file for read, and it doesn't show the elements modified. So if I insert a paid, and licenced font, how can rebuild the epub file with new modified elements?
Are you using the Calibre editor for this?? When you save the book, that should be all that is needed.
IMHO all font and other styling should be done in the CSS and not individual HTML files. You just link the style sheet to all the files (select all the books files; right-click: link stylesheets:<select all>)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, export, saving