Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
pacha2
pacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Turrn Cover Image into a page

I have the cover image being downloaded correctly for my news recipes.
Unfortunately, on my kindle they are too small to read properly, and I can't see anyway to view that full screen.

Is there some method that I can make the cover it's own page or section?
Or any other workaround?
I tried adding the cover_url as a feed but it is ignored.

Thanks.

To show my support of Calibre, I donated yesterday
pacha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you use the go to cover function on the kindle to see covers fullscreen
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
pacha2
pacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterpacha2 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find that option.
Any tips where that is hidden? I'm using the paper white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Menu.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	177053  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
pacha2

I found that Go To menu, for an official kindle book. And there I see Cover.
However the Go To menu does not appear for the news generated books.

These are being saved as .mobi in my calibre library and then emailed to the kindle.
Is there some setting or format I should change?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Periodicals on the kindle have special formatting and UI. And dont email them amazon deliberately destroys them during email processing because it wants you to pay it for news. Instead send them via USB, that way you get the special peridical UI.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
pacha2

Thanks for the reply.

I did some testing using MOBI output, I do correctly see the periodical UI.
USB vs Email - that made no difference.
Multiple Sections vs Single Section in the book/document - that does.

The "Go To First Page" goes to the cover if the book has only 1 section.
If the book has multiple sections then "Go To First Page" takes you to the sections and the "Highlights" icon is greyed because I think you are now in that part of the book.
With a the single section book, I can go to Highlights, First Page and Sections.

I am not sure if this is by design or a bug?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

are you sure. There is no way you'll see the periodical UI with an emailed book.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
pacha2

Is the Periodical UI is the Highlights and the Sections parts as attached?

Yes, those are intact after emailing the .mobi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_02_11T13_25_42+0000.png
Views:	21
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	177074   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_02_11T13_25_56+0000.png
Views:	21
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	177075  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That looks like an amazon created periodical not a calibre created one. As far as I knwo the calibre guardian recipe has no working masthead image.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
pacha2

Here's a snippet of the Guardian Recipe.
It does have the masthead_url defined as you can see below.

Code:
class Guardian(BasicNewsRecipe):

title = u'Custom The Guardian and The Observer'
    if date.today().weekday() == 6:
        base_url = "https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver"
        cover_pic = 'Observer digital edition'
        masthead_url = 'http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/site_furniture/2010/10/19/1287478087992/The-Observer-001.gif'
    else:
        base_url = "https://www.theguardian.com/uk"
        cover_pic = 'Guardian digital edition'
        masthead_url = 'http://static.guim.co.uk/static/f76b43f9dcfd761f0ecf7099a127b603b2922118/common/images/logos/the-guardian/titlepiece.gif'

__author__ = 'Kovid Goyal'
    language = 'en_GB'
Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah you are correct. But I still dont believe emailing a periodical will work, since I know for a fact that amazon reconverts emailed periodicals converting them into book MOBI files thereby losing the periodical formatting.

As to your original issue, calibre has no control over what UI the kindle decides to show, the crted news files have covers, its up to the reading software to make them accessible.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
pacha2

Thanks for your feedback,

I don't have a problem with the UI, it works well both when emailed and copied via USB.
I can confirm 100% that mobi files are displayed as a periodical.

The issue is that when there are multiple sections then it is not possible to navigate to the first page (front cover).
If I modify the recipe and it only produces 1 section and 1 highlights section then I am able to navigate to the front cover page full screen.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
pacha2

I have done some further digging and the same behaviour is experienced for the official Amazon Kindle Subscriptions, whereby you cannot view the cover full page, when you have multiple sections in the e-book/periodical.

The workaround they use is to make the front cover it's own section.

I am struggling to create a section with just the cover image. Any idea how that could be achieved?