Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
My understanding is that 32-bit apps already in the Mac App Store will continue to be available for now, but no further updates are allowed unless the app is updated to 64-bit. I assume that Amazon is working on that now. The version in the store is already behind the non store version.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
@pwalker8 and @downeaster59, you are far braver than I!

Can you tell us if Mojave has any issues with ADE 2.0.1 and/or Alf?

Muchas gracias,

The Big Chicken
I bought a book after installing Mojave and did get a warning when I opened Kindle for Mac, but it downloaded the book just fine and had no trouble with Alf.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I just successfully upgraded my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running High Sierra latest release to Mojave. Download of Mojave only took a few minutes, perhaps 3-5 minutes. Installation took about 40 minutes total.

BTW, Mojave was still not showing up in the Appstore Update tab, so I searched for Mojave, located it, and dowloaded it that way.

09:42 Started Mojave installation on MBP
09:46 MBP restarted
10:13 MBP screen briefly went completely black (for about 10 sec),
10:15 MBP screen went completely black (for about 45 sec)
10:22 installation completed and the sign-in screen for Mojave displayed

(See attached screen capture.)

I didn't use the beta version, so this is my first look at Mojave.

I'm not all that impressed with the Dark Mode. It is a good start, but they need to add some customization. For example, the light colored text is too bright with the dark background (too much contrast) and causes the "mini blinds effect" with my eyes. I see no way to make the text a little less bright. Also, Safari will display web pages how they were specified by the designers of same, so you will still get bright white pages that don't really fit into Dark Mode very well. They need to rethink Dark Mode, add customizations for text color/shade and add the ability to darken bright pages and app interfaces. Otherwise I won't be able to use it much, if at all.

The new screen capture function (Command + Shift + 5) is an improvement, but when I captured the attached About This Mac window using the Capture Selected Window option, it also captured at least 1/2 inch of screen all around it. BTW, I cropped the image before posting it. That is clunky and shows how the Apple programmers just are not that good sometimes. They need to fix that. Geez MS has been able to that correctly for over 20 years!

I haven't had time to test out Mojave much yet, but so far no issues. I tried running Excel 2011 for Mac which is a 32-bit app and it seems to load and run okay, and without any warnings about it being 32-bit. So that is good. I hate Numbers as it is too clunky to use.

One thing I will warn you about though, and this goes for any Mac OS X update, be sure to have your current passwords written down so you can refer to them during the installation and/or setup of the update. With Mojave I only needed to enter my Administration Password for my MBP, and all went well. With High Sierra I was asked for the Administration Password for my MBP, the Apple ID Password, and the Encryption Password, and I had no idea about the Encryption Password even existing much less what I had used. So I was locked out of my MBP until I spent 30+ minutes on the phone with Apple Support and finally got every necessary password reset. Apparently a rare glitch occurred when installing High Sierra that caused the MBP to somehow use an older password. What a mess, but it got resolved fairly easily. But again, I had no issues at all installing Mojave as it went fairly fast and flawless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave-About-This-Mac-window.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	166482  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-25-2018 at 12:40 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #19
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mojave does work with Wine and Wine-bottled Windows apps

Mojave does work with Wine and Wine-bottled Windows apps. I just tested it out on an old 32-bit app called RegiStaX 6, and it worked flawlessly and never gave me the 32-bit warning either.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

The system font in Mojave sux!

The system font in Mojave totally blows chunks! Apple screwed that up big time. The new system font is way too thin and to be honest I have to squint to tell the difference between normal text and bold text. Horrible looking mess. I wish there was a way to switch back to the system font used in High Sierra.
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The system font in Mojave totally blows chunks! Apple screwed that up big time. The new system font is way too thin and to be honest I have to squint to tell the difference between normal text and bold text. Horrible looking mess. I wish there was a way to switch back to the system font used in High Sierra.
I don’t think the system font has changed (from San Francisco).

First thing I would check is General panel in System Preferences. At the bottom there is a checkbox for ‘Use font smoothing when available’. If it is not checked, check it (on my system it was checked; un-checking it thinned the fonts; I am trying to decide if I like it better that way).

If that does not work, see this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comme...ts_super_thin/

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2018 at 08:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not all that impressed with the Dark Mode. It is a good start, but they need to add some customization. For example, the light colored text is too bright with the dark background (too much contrast) and causes the "mini blinds effect" with my eyes. I see no way to make the text a little less bright. Also, Safari will display web pages how they were specified by the designers of same, so you will still get bright white pages that don't really fit into Dark Mode very well. They need to rethink Dark Mode, add customizations for text color/shade and add the ability to darken bright pages and app interfaces. Otherwise I won't be able to use it much, if at all.
On iOS there is a Setting to Reduce White Point (General, Accessibility, Display Accommodations). The equivalent on macOS would be to go to Displays in System Preferences, go to the Color panel, and Calibrate... your display(s). Uncheck Use native white point and lower the ‘temperature’ as desired. Of course if you switch mode back to Light you may need to go back and turn Use native white point back on.

The other thing that is lacking is that third party apps won’t pay attention to the Appearance preference now (until now, it did not exist). And as you mention, web pages need to be thought about. I don’t think there is even any way for web page to discover which mode is enabled. Over time, it should get better, and learnings can be applied to iOS if and when Apple decides to add Dark mode to that.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don’t think the system font has changed (from San Francisco).

First thing I would check is General panel in System Preferences. At the bottom there is a checkbox for ‘Use font smoothing when available’. If it is not checked, check it (on my system it was checked; un-checking it thinned the fonts; I am trying to decide if I like it better that way).

If that does not work, see this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comme...ts_super_thin/
The Use font smoothing when available option was already checked and I looked at that right after installation. It makes no difference whether I have it checked or unchecked, both ways look identical. My MBP 15” Has a Retina LCD though. The text on my High Sierra Mac Mini is way better, especially when bold, but I have a non-retina Dell display attached to it. The bold on Mojave is too thin. I’ll look at the link to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
On iOS there is a Setting to Reduce White Point (General, Accessibility, Display Accommodations). The equivalent on macOS would be to go to Displays in System Preferences, go to the Color panel, and Calibrate... your display(s). Uncheck Use native white point and lower the ‘temperature’ as desired. Of course if you switch mode back to Light you may need to go back and turn Use native white point back on.

The other thing that is lacking is that third party apps won’t pay attention to the Appearance preference now (until now, it did not exist). And as you mention, web pages need to be thought about. I don’t think there is even any way for web page to discover which mode is enabled. Over time, it should get better, and learnings can be applied to iOS if and when Apple decides to add Dark mode to that.
I’m going to stick with Light Mode. I use my MBP to post process lots of photos, so no way I would tamper with the color calibration.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-25-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
The Use font smoothing when available option was already checked and I looked at that right after installation. It makes no difference whether I have it checked or unchecked, both ways look identical. My MBP 15” Has a Retina LCD though. The text on my High Sierra Mac Mini is way better, especially when bold, but I have a non-retina Dell display attached to it. The bold on Mojave is too thin.
This morning I looked at the setting Use font smoothing when available option on my Mac Mini which has a Dell U2515H display with 2560 x 1440 resolution attached to it. It was already checked. However, unchecking it made no discernible difference. It is as though this option is not even functioning. Fortunately, my Mac Mini is running High Sierra so the font looks good, unlike on Mojave. It doesn't seem like it would be that much work for Apple to add a system font weight adjustment. They claim to be heavily into providing accessibility, yet they show over and over again that they are not. Microsoft has had them beat in accessibility for decades. I'm not going to try the Terminal command, it would likely get overwritten with each Mojave update anyway, and I bet we get a lot of updates like we did with High Sierra.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #25
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Just an update on my installation of Mojave, a day after the install and I'm now getting the warning message boxes about running outdated apps. I did not get those warnings on the day of the install, but today I'm getting them. Odd. At any rate Mojave does not cause any issues with these 32-bit apps as they run without any known issues.

It also rather odd that no app updates for Mojave have come into the App Stre in the day since I installed. Usually I get a slew of app updates when I upgrade Mac OS X. I did get a slew of iOS app updates immediately after installing iOS 12.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
BBEdit 12.1+ is 64-bit.

I'm sure Kindle will update to 64-bit. The only questions are: 1) will they wait until next year when 32-bit support is dropped entirely, and 2) will the 64-bit version break any of the tools we love.

I'm still fretting about what to do about ADE 2.0.1, since there's absolutely no hope that it will ever be updated to 64-bit.
Just upgraded to 12.1. I've kind of soured on BareBones a bit. It just seems like they have been in coast mode for several years. Still, BBEdit does meet my need as a general purpose editor.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@pwalker8 and @downeaster59, you are far braver than I!

Can you tell us if Mojave has any issues with ADE 2.0.1 and/or Alf?

Muchas gracias,

The Big Chicken
No problems here. Calibre works fine. I use Alf's DRM plugins and was able to import a kindle book with no problem. I don't use ADE. It's been a while since I used the stand alone deDRM program
Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just an update on my installation of Mojave, a day after the install and I'm now getting the warning message boxes about running outdated apps. I did not get those warnings on the day of the install, but today I'm getting them. Odd. At any rate Mojave does not cause any issues with these 32-bit apps as they run without any known issues.

It also rather odd that no app updates for Mojave have come into the App Stre in the day since I installed. Usually I get a slew of app updates when I upgrade Mac OS X. I did get a slew of iOS app updates immediately after installing iOS 12.
I've gotten a few, but not many.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just upgraded to 12.1. I've kind of soured on BareBones a bit. It just seems like they have been in coast mode for several years. Still, BBEdit does meet my need as a general purpose editor.
Visual Studio Code is free (for macOS, Windows, and Linux) and has a rich ecosystem of extensions. I ‘barely’ use BBEdit any more.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I bought a book after installing Mojave and did get a warning when I opened Kindle for Mac, but it downloaded the book just fine and had no trouble with Alf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No problems here. Calibre works fine. I use Alf's DRM plugins and was able to import a kindle book with no problem. I don't use ADE. It's been a while since I used the stand alone deDRM program
Thank you, that's promising. I do use the standalone program and also ADE 2.0.1, so will likely hold off on updating until there's confirmation both (especially ADE) work in Mojave.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote