Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Series order

Just to start a new thread to discuss this.
I can see that many people have very different usage scenarios to me. I dont care about whenI last read a book or whatever. I do have maybe 50 collections with 20-100 books per collection.
I did try the title prefix option and find it ugly (not least because it effectively disables title sort)
Since it came back in my head today, I did add the trigger on the table called (i think) actions and restarting the kobo indeed resets everything as expected.
(Did anyone ever play with this table to reshape the startup screen? I can see that would work)
While in operation, i think the kobo works off a memory copy of the database?

I never in my life wanted to sort books in last read order, we do all use this device in very different ways and i love that kobo leave it so open that we can do this.

Last edited by Stevex; 10-12-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It's not a method for me as I use the date sort order. I use the prefix (only the number of the series) in the title.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I never in my life wanted to sort books in last read order, we do all use this device in very different ways and i love that kobo leave it so open that we can do this.
I talked about this in the other thread, but I put the series info directly in the front of the book title, so they'll sort together when I put them on a device. (And I have several devices.)

For me, I remember a book by the series it's in, not so much by the title. I use Calibre, and so far have hardly ever needed to sort by book Title. And it's easy enough to type a key word in and pull them up when I need to find something specific.

I do agree it's great that Kobo lets us tweak things in the way we like in some instances.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Rose View Post
I talked about this in the other thread, but I put the series info directly in the front of the book title, so they'll sort together when I put them on a device. (And I have several devices.)
I do it for Kobo with metadata plugboard too, but I would prefer to avoid it, I don't like to see it there.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My approach is two fold.

Collection that is the Series name
Plugboard to change the title to an abbreviated version of the Series name plus the order in the series

Collection: Lord of the Rings
Book: LotR - 01 - The Fellowship of the Ring
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For me, the series info is populated, and either use a shelf or search on the series name. Then I sort them in my brain while looking for which one to read. And Recent sorting probably works best for me. I am looking for the first unread in the series and there is a good chance that will be the first one put on the device and hence at the end of the Recent sort. There is a big problem with that, but I don't have many series that are long enough to use more than one page in the search.

But something I have considered is fiddling with the SyncTime and setting it to the published date. For most series, that would give a rough series order. The other date I have considered is the date added to my calibre library. Part of the reason for both of these is that when you add a lot of books in one go, or do a sign-out, the books are added in alphabetical order by title. The order might be file name, but these are close enough matches for my books that it isn't immediately obvious. Either of these sorts would be more useful than the what the device does by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
(Did anyone ever play with this table to reshape the startup screen? I can see that would work)
While in operation, i think the kobo works off a memory copy of the database?
Apart from the current book tile (most recent book opened) and the sync tile (fixed in place, but removable via the database), the order of the other tiles is the reverse order for added to the database table. You can adjust what is on the page by adding or deleting rows or changing the value of "Enabled". Changing the order is a bit harder as you need to remove the current row and add it again. Or do whatever is needed to get SQLite to move the row.

If you are a calibre user, my Kobo Utilities plugin has function to dismiss tiles and add a trigger to the database to prevent their display. This doesn't work as well with recent firmware. I think the way they do the updates has changed. In the past it appeared to be "update the database then get the home screen to refresh". Now it seems they tell the home screen to display a tile and then update the database. This might just be because it is working on memory structures that only occasionally get updated from the database, but it means ttha the database trigger doesn't always prevent tiles from displaying.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote