Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
8a8e8ei2i20
8a8e8ei2i20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
Please Help with Debricking Kindle Paperwhite

I will try to keep this brief and concise:

- Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen running software 5.4.4.0 (iirc, it's the 2nd latest sw)
- Had Jailbreak from here installed, and KUAL, etc (not sure which version but around 6 months ago)
- Had Duokan 2014 installed
- Kindle wouldn't update to latest software (greyed after many attempts, and through KUAL 'begin greyed installer')
- Tried to do factory reset (I forgot I had to remove Duokan a different way)

-Now the Kindle powers on, goes to Kindle Tree loading screen, then goes to Duokan 2014 which refreshes the page a few times, fails, and then 'switching to kindle' it goes to Kindle tree loading screen, with circle, then the loading bar comes up, gets to 95% and then hangs.

I've tried the hard 20 sec reset several times
Tried to plug into USB at hang and during the entire restart process and it shows in Windows 8 as 'removable device' which I can't access, but it does get detected by USB.

I know Jailbreak had a rescue pack, is this possible to use? I will try to get a copy of Linux running to see if I can connect to it.

I hope it's not now a paperweight, it has lasted me since first release without issue until now

I'm not sure what else to try, could anyone help please?
8a8e8ei2i20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
8a8e8ei2i20

Nobody?

Well I'm going to try what's detailed in this guide
https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f

Perhaps it will help someone else if they have this same issue.

If I can't fix it I won't be buying another Amazon product, I think it's ridiculous that they made this device so difficult to repair, especially when it basically self destructed, not to mention the non-replaceable battery.
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Duokan is an (evil) black box, hence the lack of response/interest.

That, and your post is barely a day old...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a8e8ei2i20 View Post
Nobody?

Well I'm going to try what's detailed in this guide
https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f

- - - -
Say what?
We couldn't verify your paid support subscription to this site.
Which means you have to wait until someone volunteer's their time.

The guide you linked to above, links to (one) of our (Kindle Dev's) image archive locations.
So you can say: "Thanks" - even if you can't unbrick your Kindle.

- - - -

Note: You should have been able to find the directions on this site that goes along with our image archives.

Tobias does not mention it, but you should use a USB to 1.8v serial interface adapter.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
8a8e8ei2i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Say what?
We couldn't verify your paid support subscription to this site.
Which means you have to wait until someone volunteer's their time.

The guide you linked to above, links to (one) of our (Kindle Dev's) image archive locations.
So you can say: "Thanks" - even if you can't unbrick your Kindle.

- - - -

Note: You should have been able to find the directions on this site that goes along with our image archives.

Tobias does not mention it, but you should use a USB to 1.8v serial interface adapter.

I didn't realise it links to one of this site's devs resources. I'm grateful to all the hard work here, and the helpful forums and contributors.

I'm just quite desperate to fix it, sorry if that comes across the wrong way.

Is there anything I should try before following the guide?
it is a last resort for me, and I'm a bit concerned about trying it.

Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a8e8ei2i20 View Post
- - - -
Is there anything I should try before following the guide?
it is a last resort for me, and I'm a bit concerned about trying it.

Your in the right place, the "last resort" situation.

Yes, Amazon keeps making it harder for the user to do anything with the Kindles.
Kubrick does not work with the Paperwhite devices (the author of which also provides those image archives you linked to).

Try the Wiki Index - under serial port for the K5 - you will find a thread with photo's and directions of the PW1 hook-up.

Actually, of every Kindle since the K4 - they are all using the same break-out pad pattern - only the location on the motherboard differs.

There should also be some threads on "serial port" de-bricking.
But that one you linked to seems to be fairly complete.

Last edited by knc1; 10-25-2014 at 06:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, kindle paperwhite