Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Fair Well? Fare Well? Farewell?

Which is the right use here...

Fair well, my brother
Fare well, my brother
Farewell, my brother

... as in "Good bye" in a fantasy world.

Thanks!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
"Farewell" is the correct form. It evolved from the Middle English (essentially, Old French) farwel.

If using it in a medieval styled fantasy setting, "fair thee well" might serve your needs better. "Fare well" could also serve. "Fair" would be completely inappropriate for this usage.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Yep. Fair would be as in fair maiden or going to the fair. Fare is used in farewell or humble fare.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Or as in 'how are you faring'?

i.e. 'How are you doing? Are you well?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Or as in 'how are you faring'?

i.e. 'How are you doing? Are you well?

Graham
Yep, and fare is also used as in "the fare for the ferry is $5.00," etc.True Homonyms Not sure what words that sound the same but are spelled differently are called but Homonyms are words that are both spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings. English is sometimes confusing to those who don't have it as their 1st language I'm sure. It's complex enough for those of us who do have it as the 1st language.

Last edited by crich70; 05-26-2013 at 03:20 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would use "farewell" if it was meant in lieu of "goodbye," and "fare well" if it was someone wishing another a good journey rather than saying goodbye. However, it's important to note that I'd pronounce them differently if I was reading aloud, too, putting more stress on the "well" in the latter case.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I would use "farewell" if it was meant in lieu of "goodbye," and "fare well" if it was someone wishing another a good journey rather than saying goodbye. However, it's important to note that I'd pronounce them differently if I was reading aloud, too, putting more stress on the "well" in the latter case.
In this case it is the person that is leaving that is speaking.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
In this case it is the person that is leaving that is speaking.
In that case, I'd say that "farewell" is the better of the two options, but neither is really a good choice for the departing person to say to the one who isn't leaving. Remember, it basically means "have a good trip," regardless of usage, so it always sounds off when said to someone who's staying put.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
In that case, I'd say that "farewell" is the better of the two options, but neither is really a good choice for the departing person to say to the one who isn't leaving. Remember, it basically means "have a good trip," regardless of usage, so it always sounds off when said to someone who's staying put.
Well they are both going on a trip, just not together. The one would never say something old fashioned like "farewell" while the other definitely would.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Merry part
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want old fashioned, "Fare thee well" would work well. If you really want to get fancy, you could say something like, "Blessings upon thy household 'til we again meet", Blessings upon thee until again we meet", or simply, "Blessings upon thee and thine." There are numerous options one could use, such as Adding the possessive form of the name of a deity before "blessings", such as "God's blessings" or, even more formal, such as, "The blessings of God upon thee until again we should meet." You can also play with various combinations of these suggestions.

(Btw, I used to work Renaissance Festivals portraying a "feisty" disenfranchised Irish Noblewoman.)
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
"Farewell" is the correct form. It evolved from the Middle English (essentially, Old French) farwel.

If using it in a medieval styled fantasy setting, "fair thee well" might serve your needs better. "Fare well" could also serve. "Fair" would be completely inappropriate for this usage.
Excuse me, my lady, but are you absolutely sure about that being Old French? I associate it more with the germanic languages, particularly the scandinavian ones, where it literally means travel well. To travel in Swedish and Icelandic at least is 'fara' and 'väl' in Swedish means well. Not that educated and travelled scandinavians couldn't have imported an Old French phrase of course.

Apart from this nit-picking, I think you have given Vidor an excellent explanation.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Excuse me, my lady, but are you absolutely sure about that being Old French? I associate it more with the germanic languages, particularly the scandinavian ones, where it literally means travel well. To travel in Swedish and Icelandic at least is 'fara' and 'väl' in Swedish means well. Not that educated and travelled scandinavians couldn't have imported an Old French phrase of course.

Apart from this nit-picking, I think you have given Vidor an excellent explanation.
Middle English was mostly Old French brought over by the Normans (originally land based Vikings). Old English was mostly Old High German, brought over by the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes (Jutes were from present day Denmark). The direct Norse contributions (via the Vikings) were in addition to the Old High German and, later, the Old French brought over by the invading Normans (similar origins but highly influenced by the Franks, another Germanic tribe).

Modern French and English are dramatically different from their original versions. Even true Early Modern English (roughly late 14th/early 15th century) is difficult for present day English speakers to understand.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 05-27-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Old Age
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Fare well to someone who is leaving, I'd say, and Farewell to someone who is staying, said by the person who is leaving. but that's just me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote