Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #106
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
His and Her outhouses? Luxury! We had to share one.
What's wrong with a spade, and digging a hole behind a tree? Some schools even got a sheet of hessian, to run from one tree to the next.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #107
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
I expanded abbreviations for genres, types, awards, source.... Abbreviations don't allow simple comparative searches between key words or phrases in (Comments, Series, or Title) and key abbreviated words or abbreviated phrases in for example (#genres)....
Abbreviations are back in. This past abbreviation-bereft month, I missed seeing at a glance all that metadata densely grouped in narrow columns. Sounding indicative of the full word or phrase, abbreviations are almost as human-readable and often more human-readable than full word or phrase — because without abbreviations I can't see at a glance metadata off to the right of the visible portion displayed in field box or column display, requiring an extra step of scrolling or cursor-hovering-for-tooltip. Also, comparative searches are still doable on those rare occasions I need them, with some attention to pairing abbreviation and full word/phrase.

Quote:
...I generally ignore the code level (HTML/XHTML, CSS). My knowledge/skills there are at the low end of the learning curve. I fix formatting problems interfering with readability if they are quickly fixable, but for my purpose, reading books for enjoyment, I don't care if the underlying code is clean or not.
Fixing formatting problems with word-processor is a quick and easy baseline method — I do this in practical mode. But I am gradually learning to work at code level too, because it is more precise — I do this in learning mode.

In learning mode, I like using Edit Book. It helps a lot to read the Editing E-Books section of user manual first, and work with freshly downloaded retail book formats, not yet converted, without a multitude of formatting problems — rather than starting with known problem-plagued formats, which in hindsight was a mistake I made last month. Then remove unused CSS rules, check book, see what is what, refer to CSS and HTML tutorials as necessary, and fix things.

Those are generalities. I don't want to discuss specific formatting nuts and bolts in this thread, since the thread's scope is broader level. My bad — by asking specific nuts and bolts technical questions here a few weeks ago, I violated my own scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
What's wrong with a spade, and digging a hole behind a tree? Some schools even got a sheet of hessian, to run from one tree to the next.
Digging a hole in the woods with a spade is indeed an alternate method. ((Edit: deleted a paragraph examining potential hazards of that method. Though thread scope is broad, it is not quite that broad.))

Last edited by unboggling; 04-30-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Scope pruning.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #108
westofpecos
westofpecos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW2, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Quick note of thanks (and a bump) to unboggling and all the other users who have contributed so much valuable information in this thread.

This would be a great sticky.
westofpecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #109
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofpecos View Post
Quick note of thanks (and a bump) to unboggling and all the other users who have contributed so much valuable information in this thread.

This would be a great sticky.
You're welcome. Glad you found the thread useful.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #110
stalifero
stalifero began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
Smile Removing Kindle DRM

Help new to kindle and forum

I have borrowed a friends book from their kindle paperwhite to my paperwhite

I copied some books to a flash drive and then using calibre and using K4MobiDeDRM_v03.5_plugin.zip tried to convert them from azw3 format to mobi when I try to convert I get the error cannot convert the book is looked by DRM I also the enter my Kindle Serial Number into the plus in.

Also if a added the books onto my I phone using the kiddle apps through Itunes and added the file it worked

Any Ideas
stalifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #111
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Forum policy does not allow for any help to be provided here on removing DRM and related issues. You need to ask where you got the plugin.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #112
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
... Fixing formatting problems with word-processor is a quick and easy baseline method — I do this in practical mode. But I am gradually learning to work at code level too, because it is more precise — I do this in learning mode.

In learning mode, I like using Edit Book. It helps a lot to read the Editing E-Books section of user manual first, and work with freshly downloaded retail book formats, not yet converted, without a multitude of formatting problems — rather than starting with known problem-plagued formats, which in hindsight was a mistake I made last month. Then remove unused CSS rules, check book, see what is what, refer to CSS and HTML tutorials as necessary, and fix things.
Since February 2014 I learned a lot more about XHTML tags and CSS. Now my preferred tool for fixing formatting problems is calibre's Edit Book. I noticed Sigil is alive again with v 8.0, but for my purposes Edit Book is most convenient.

Also, re quoted post, now I "beautify files" rather than "remove unused CSS rules", don't bother to "check book", and usually don't need to refer to tutorials anymore.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-02-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #113
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Problem is my ISP doesn't offer Usenet access anymore.

My better half probably would still be using the Apple IIe if it could be hooked up to the internet. Even at a creeping pace.
There are a lot of premium usenet providers at fairly low cost. For 2 gig a month as low as 2 or 3 dollars a month.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #114
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Fantastic guide, thanks for sharing. I'm curious what system you used to organize your ideas.

Most of my questions are geared towards understanding your choices or clarify my thinking.

a) You set the series for individual books to (1)[1] for sorting reasons but it doesn't appear to be any different from leaving the field empty for that subset. So why?

b) Why not use tags at all? Genres fulfils the same purpose - so why not use tags & keywords for example? Why create two custom columns/fields entirely?

c) Why use " , " instead of " & " as separator for keywords and genre column? It causes the tag browser to break out "fn, sf" and "sf, fn" as two separate categories and the "sf" category won't bring up books tagged with "fn, sf" or vice versa. **Edit** I just figured out why I had that behaviour - I had checked "contains names" when creating that column. Don't understand why but that explains (c).

Last edited by please55; 12-06-2014 at 11:56 PM.
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #115
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
Fantastic guide, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I'm curious what system you used to organize your ideas.
Basic structure and functions of calibre; my ebook-related workflow.

Quote:
Most of my questions are geared towards understanding your choices or clarify my thinking.

a) You set the series for individual books to (1)[1] for sorting reasons but it doesn't appear to be any different from leaving the field empty for that subset. So why?
"(1) [1]" announces that the series was previously checked/entered, rather than possibly previously forgotten to have been checked/entered.

Quote:
b) Why not use tags at all? Genres fulfils the same purpose - so why not use tags & keywords for example? Why create two custom columns/fields entirely?
I like each column to address a specific attribute. For me discreet sets of attribute-specific metadata elements are more aesthetic, less confusing, easier to remember, and easier to isolate in search terms; than different sets mixed in one column. Otherwise it's just personal preference. [EDIT] calibre automatically enters the tags "News" and "Catalogs" in the Tags column; these metadata elements are publication types, so if I used Tags column for anything else it would be for types. Putting types in Tags seems more confusing than putting types in custom column Types.[/EDIT]

Quote:
c) Why use " , " instead of " & " as separator for keywords and genre column? It causes the tag browser to break out "fn, sf" and "sf, fn" as two separate categories and the "sf" category won't bring up books tagged with "fn, sf" or vice versa. **Edit** I just figured out why I had that behaviour - I had checked "contains names" when creating that column. Don't understand why but that explains (c).
Right. Separator "&" is for Name columns such as Author(s).

Last edited by unboggling; 03-31-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #116
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Device: none
This sounds like a very useful guide, but I can't find it anywhere in the thread! Was it moved elsewhere?
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #117
unboggling
Wizard

Sorry. I deleted it a few years ago.

Last edited by unboggling; 03-28-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Tags
calibre workflow, ebook management strategy, ebook management workflow