Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #871
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
@tears0fshad0w
Look here.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #872
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears0fshad0w View Post
I did calibre. It didn't work. There was still the default blue cover.
Change the cover in the calibre database. Then do a save to disk. Calibre doesn't change the cover of the file in the database, only in exported copies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #873
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Mobi2mobi.exe does not recognize non-ascii characters in its parameters, including the filenames. For example, even if I have the file "fișier.mobi", trying mobi2mobi fișier.mobi says file not found. This happens under windows 8.1 from command line.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #874
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What do you need mobi2mobi for? Much of its functionality is also present in, say, calibre.

Or Java Mobi Metadata Editor, which also handles AZW3 IIRC.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #875
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What do you need mobi2mobi for? Much of its functionality is also present in, say, calibre.

Or Java Mobi Metadata Editor, which also handles AZW3 IIRC.
Calibre is 200 MB. Java itselfis 200 MB. Mobi2mobi compiled as exe is 2 MB.

Now that we have seen this, could you please answer the question or admit you do not know the answer?

Thank you.
Advert
Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #876
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post

Now that we have seen this, could you please answer the question or admit you do not know the answer?

Thank you.
Actually there is likely no good answer. The shell used from the command line has a restricted list of characters for filenames. You can try renaming the file but if you use the command line even that is not likely to work. The shell is not unicode compliant. You could try making a shortcut to Mobi2mobi and then dragging the file to the shortcut. This will bypass the command line but it still might not work. Sorry

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #877
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did a search and found the following:

Try:

chcp 65001

which will change the code page to UTF-8. Also, you need to use Lucida console fonts. There are limitations using this code page. Scripts may just stop working and other problems may occur.

Dale
Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #878
hfpop
Addict

@DaleDe: yes, I got as well the solution with chcp 65001. This solves all problems with file interaction in the script file, except correctly passing the non-english characters to the perl script.

Maybe some string change before calling the mobi2mobi script would solve the problem.

File rename is indeed a (partial) solution. The major problem remains: mobi2mobi is supposed to write title and author metadata. Which will be incorrect since the non-english characters are not played right.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #879
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Good that you have a partial solution. I am not sure which Perl was used to compile this program. It may be that it is not unicode compliant. Seach unicode Perl to see a list of ideas. Perhaps there is a solution I am not aware of.

There is also a wiki page on Mobiperl that has pointers to download sites and other data. You may need to build your own version if you can solve the Perl issue.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-24-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #880
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post

Thank you.
Being as I happen to use calibre extensively, for a variety of reasons, I have never used mobi2mobi and thus cannot offer help in that regard. But perhaps the issue is simply the lack of proper unicode support in CMD... which is a slightly difficult thing to work around. Which I guess would mean it would work properly on linux/osx, and perhaps Cygwin as well.

I can however offer solutions for using calibre to do rather a lot.

... As DaleDe said, there might not really be a solution.

There is a Windows GUI version of mobi2mobi, which *might* circumvent issues arising from CMD.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #881
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
After considering a number of options, I've decided to use this package to learn more about the mobi format. As part of preparation, I've imported the extracted tar files into a git repository and uploaded that to github. I did the import with a script that I wrote for that purpose which is attached here.

The repository is at https://github.com/jps-e/mobi-perl.git

On creation of the bare repo at github, I was surprised to learn that the default primary branch is now main. I wend with the flow and renamed the branch on my local repo before pushing it to github. That seemed to work out OK. I also named the repo mobi-perl instead of mobiperl to leave that name available in case something went horribly wrong or tompe wants to make his own and I want to clone or fork it. topme hasn't posted since 2016 or logged in since 2017.

(The script took 0.8 seconds to import the 22 tar files.)
Attached Files
File Type: pl mobiperl_import.pl (2.1 KB, 298 views)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #882
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
After considering a number of options, I've decided to use this package to learn more about the mobi format. As part of preparation, I've imported the extracted tar files into a git repository and uploaded that to github. I did the import with a script that I wrote for that purpose which is attached here.

The repository is at https://github.com/jps-e/mobi-perl.git

On creation of the bare repo at github, I was surprised to learn that the default primary branch is now main. I wend with the flow and renamed the branch on my local repo before pushing it to github. That seemed to work out OK. I also named the repo mobi-perl instead of mobiperl to leave that name available in case something went horribly wrong or tompe wants to make his own and I want to clone or fork it. topme hasn't posted since 2016 or logged in since 2017.

(The script took 0.8 seconds to import the 22 tar files.)
What is it that these programs do (other than Mobiheader) that Calibre with KindleUnpack cannot do? What is it you want to do that would not be better served by writing plugins for Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #883
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
All my questions below are rhetorical. This thread is reserved to mobiperl tools. KindleUnpack has its own thread and Calibre has its own forum and numerous subforums.

I welcome comments regarding the details of my implementation or any errors I may have made.

Part of my motivation for this is preserving the package and its history even though KF experts consider it obsolete and no longer good for anything (even though they found it valuable as a learning tool in its time). For me, I think it is better for my learning than anything else I know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is it that these programs do (other than Mobiheader) that Calibre with KindleUnpack cannot do?
What does Calibre with KindleUnpack do that KindleUnpack can't do by itself?

I am interested in learning the details of amazon book structure, except KFX. I use and like KindleUnpack a lot, but I've looked at some of its source with a goal of controlling its verbosity and that was hopeless. That, combined with its large number of output products by default and options only exist to make more of them, make it too overwhelming for my purpose at hand. In addition, it is written in a language that I am unlikely to progress beyond baby talk.

In contrast, mobils is relatively compact and already does a good bit of what I am looking for and written in a language I am much more comfortable with.
Quote:
What is it you want to do that would not be better served by writing plugins for Calibre?
I have less than 0 interest in learning how to write a Calibre plugin, much less actually doing so.

Why do you think a Calibre plugin would be remotely appropiate for what I am trying to do?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #884
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You might find the one-file mobiunpack.py interesting to look at too.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...4&d=1342902594

I probably have earlier versions around somewhere if you'd like.

[Edit: mobiunpack.py 0.02 from 2009 attached]

[Wow - it got a lot bigger from Nov. 2009 to Oct. 2011!]
Attached Files
File Type: py mobiunpack.py (5.0 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-14-2021 at 08:16 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #885
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why do you think a Calibre plugin would be remotely appropiate for what I am trying to do?
Because Most non-KFX eBooks from Amazon are in KF8 (unless you have a K1, K2, or KDXG) you won't be able to download Mobi from Amazon) and these tools handle Mobi format. The KindleUnpack plugin handles KF8 (as well as Mobi) and to learn more about Amazon eBook formats, you should be learning about KF8. These Pearl tools will not help you do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils