Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Sort order by filename

Hi Guys

Is there anyway of sorting by filename for sideloaded epubs? I have had a Kobo for years and haven't found a way so I assuming it is not possible but am asking just in case I have missed something incredibly obvious.

This may sound harsh but I have no intention of modifying the epubs metadata, so please don't suggest that. I have taking a bit of time modifying the file name to be what I want and that is how I want them sorted.

Assuming it can't be done then I think that this is such a basic requirement that I can only assume it is a deliberate design decision by Kobo then. Does anyone know if this is the case? Again if so how can requests be sent to Kobo asking them to reconsider?

Glen

Last edited by glenk; 10-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, it cannot be done. And it is a very deliberate design decision by Kobo.

If you want to make suggestions for features, there is a support link on the Kobo website.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #3
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it cannot be done. And it is a very deliberate design decision by Kobo.

If you want to make suggestions for features, there is a support link on the Kobo website.
I'm curious. Why do the e-book manufacturers at least Kobo and Kindle deliberately do this? Are they trying to discourage side-loading?
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
I'm curious. Why do the e-book manufacturers at least Kobo and Kindle deliberately do this? Are they trying to discourage side-loading?
I don't know about Amazon, but I don't think Kobo are actively discouraging sideloading. They don't mention it as much on their website now, but they do include instructions on how to use ADE to sideload in the manuals. On the device, they don't treat sideloaded books worse than purchased books. And they do fix bugs related to sideloaded books when they are reported, though probably not as fast a we would like.

But, look at it another way: What advantage does using the file name have?

Most ebook formats have well defined metadata. The device reads that and presents that to the user when they are looking for a book. I do not plan to read the file, "Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files 10 - Small Favor.epub". I plan to read the book, "Small Favor" by Jim Butcher. Or maybe "The next book in the Dresden Files"*. I don't care were it is on the device, just a long as I can see it.

Treating the books this way also allows for flexibility in display. Kobo allows me to see the book in the main library list, the authors list or put it in as many collections as I want (and I really wish there was a Series list** and maybe a tags/genre list). Plus multiple ways of sorting the lists - title, author, series, different dates etc. And a cover image is displayed to grab my eye .

If it was by file name, then it really can only be in one place. Unless I have multiple copies of the book, or start using lots of file system links.

The naturalness of using the metadata in situations like this just makes sense to me.

* And if Butcher would just finish "The next book in the Dresden Files", then I could read it. Of course, I'd still be wanting "The next book in the Dresden Files".

** Come on Kobo, it such a simple thing.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know about Amazon, but I don't think Kobo are actively discouraging sideloading. They don't mention it as much on their website now, but they do include instructions on how to use ADE to sideload in the manuals. On the device, they don't treat sideloaded books worse than purchased books. And they do fix bugs related to sideloaded books when they are reported, though probably not as fast a we would like.

But, look at it another way: What advantage does using the file name have?

Most ebook formats have well defined metadata. The device reads that and presents that to the user when they are looking for a book. I do not plan to read the file, "Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files 10 - Small Favor.epub". I plan to read the book, "Small Favor" by Jim Butcher. Or maybe "The next book in the Dresden Files"*. I don't care were it is on the device, just a long as I can see it.

Treating the books this way also allows for flexibility in display. Kobo allows me to see the book in the main library list, the authors list or put it in as many collections as I want (and I really wish there was a Series list** and maybe a tags/genre list). Plus multiple ways of sorting the lists - title, author, series, different dates etc. And a cover image is displayed to grab my eye .

If it was by file name, then it really can only be in one place. Unless I have multiple copies of the book, or start using lots of file system links.

The naturalness of using the metadata in situations like this just makes sense to me.

* And if Butcher would just finish "The next book in the Dresden Files", then I could read it. Of course, I'd still be wanting "The next book in the Dresden Files".

** Come on Kobo, it such a simple thing.
For me as an old software guy I'm used to looking at computer files listed in alphabetical, by extention or timestamp order. In fact as a workaround when I am reading a series of books I'll often use Calibre to re-name the books by prefacing the file name with their number in the series.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Hi Davidfor

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the Kobo website and provide a suggestion.

In another post you alluded that you live in Australia, do you know anywhere that is taking preorders for the Forma? I keep looking at the JB Hi Fi website but it is not listed there.

Regards Glen
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
In another post you alluded that you live in Australia, do you know anywhere that is taking preorders for the Forma? I keep looking at the JB Hi Fi website but it is not listed there.
I don't remember anywhere in Australia ever having pre-orders for Kobo devices before. But, as I also want a chance to play with the device first, I might not have been paying attention. At the moment, I'm just assuming they will turn up in JB HiFi next week.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-21-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: When writing two posts at the same time, pay attention to what you are doing.