Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #661
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
[s]Hmmm that seems.... unfair? Why limit OverDrive use based on Kobo account country settings; if a user has a working OverDrive account, why not allow them to use it independent of what country they choose to buy books from...[/s]

Wait, it actually makes sense. Kobo has to be able to integrate the OverDrive book borrowing in their store, which has country-dependent content...
The fact that Kobo integrates with Overdrive was a big plus for me, a reason for switching from my old PW2 to my Clara HD. Up here at the top of the world in Aotearoa, we're used to being left off maps and left out of EVERYTHING, so Kobo including us was nice. Especially when Amazon decided their fancy new PW4 was too good for us
stuartjmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #662
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The fact that Kobo integrates with Overdrive was a big plus for me, a reason for switching from my old PW2 to my Clara HD. Up here at the top of the world in Aotearoa, we're used to being left off maps and left out of EVERYTHING, so Kobo including us was nice. Especially when Amazon decided their fancy new PW4 was too good for us
👍🏼

(Sounds like the perfect holiday location for me )
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #663
hamers
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
I read a lot of books but Overdrive has always seemed absurd to me. You're registering for at least 2 vendor locked and privacy invading services, installing a ton of software from Adobe (noted copyright trolls and "software as a service" bait and switchers) and going through a few different vendors that will all get your personal data and reading habits. Am I misunderstanding the process - vs just going to my library and getting a book?
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #664
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamers View Post
I read a lot of books but Overdrive has always seemed absurd to me. You're registering for at least 2 vendor locked and privacy invading services, installing a ton of software from Adobe (noted copyright trolls and "software as a service" bait and switchers) and going through a few different vendors that will all get your personal data and reading habits. Am I misunderstanding the process - vs just going to my library and getting a book?
I didn't have to install anything on my PC from Adobe when I setup my Overdrive account. "locked and privacy invading services" describes EVERY major seller of ebooks, (Amazon, Google, Rakuten/Kobo) so there's no difference there, assuming one purchases the ebooks one reads. And then of course there's the fact that I read ebooks because I find dead tree books increasingly difficult to read, for reasons of physical impairment that also have a bearing on why I don't "just go to my library"
stuartjmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #665
hamers

Seems to me I have to install Adobe. I have a brand new Clara and don't even have the "Overdrive" setting under the main menu... Seems like I have to go through a computer to do it all.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #666
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara,Kobo Aura One, XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
When you live in Madrid and your libraries are at New York, Philadelphia and Florida, it's not so easy going to get it, and even there, they would give me that awful dead tree
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #667
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Seems to me I have to install Adobe. I have a brand new Clara and don't even have the "Overdrive" setting under the main menu... Seems like I have to go through a computer to do it all.
Which suggests you don't live in "Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand" which are the countries where on device Overdrive are supported (as noted on the Kobo website). In that case, yes you do have to go thru your computer. If your library isn't in one of these countries I don't think changing your location in the billing details will help you for library borrowing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #668
hamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Which suggests you don't live in "Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand" which are the countries where on device Overdrive are supported (as noted on the Kobo website). In that case, yes you do have to go thru your computer. If your library isn't in one of these countries I don't think changing your location in the billing details will help you for library borrowing.
Ah, good point. I think when I set up my kobo accout initially (i'm on my 2nd device) I made a totally fake address.