Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
tamarissa
Connoisseur
tamarissa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Books Not Adding to Collections on Calibre Send to Device

I set up Calibre to add my books to collections when I sent them to my eReader (Kobo Aura H20); not a single book went into a collection. Most of the collections were already on the reader, but empty due to transferring from from an old eReader to this one, before I knew that was possible. Some would've been new collections added to the list.

I've attached an image of the setup... is something missing, or are there more steps required than than configuring the plugin?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Collections Settings.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	165523

Calibre is version 3.29 for Mac, up to date as of today's post.

Last edited by tamarissa; 08-11-2018 at 07:56 PM.
tamarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem is in how you specify the column names to make the collections from. The field is a comma separated list of the lookup names for columns in the calibre library. The lookup names can be seen by putting the cursor over the column header and waiting for the tooltip to appear. Or in the "Add your own columns" list in the calibre preferences.

I don't quite know what you are trying to achieve here. Do you want collections based on the author sort plus a collection for each series? If so, you will need to add a custom column for the author sort. But, recent Kobo firmware has an Authors list automatically constructed. This will list using the author, but does have a last name sorting option.

If you want collections for a combination of the authors sort plus the series name, you will need to create a custom column to do this.

Also, some details of configuring the collections are in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
tamarissa
Connoisseur

All of the collections on my Kobo are 'Author - Series' format ('Armstrong, Kelley - Otherworld' or 'Bishop, Anne - Black Jewels'), so that is the output format I am looking for.

My understanding of authors in Calibre is that the author sort field is attached to each book (I can go to the metadata of each book and see 'author display' and author sort') and it all comes from the same place... but from what you are saying is that even though I have an 'Author' column (default from Calibre), I need to add an 'Author Sort' column as well? Or do you mean I need 1 column that combines the 2 fields ('Author_sort - Series')?

Current Columns:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columns.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	165526
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarissa View Post
All of the collections on my Kobo are 'Author - Series' format ('Armstrong, Kelley - Otherworld' or 'Bishop, Anne - Black Jewels'), so that is the output format I am looking for.

My understanding of authors in Calibre is that the author sort field is attached to each book (I can go to the metadata of each book and see 'author display' and author sort') and it all comes from the same place... but from what you are saying is that even though I have an 'Author' column (default from Calibre), I need to add an 'Author Sort' column as well? Or do you mean I need 1 column that combines the 2 fields ('Author_sort - Series')?
The short answer is "yes".

The collections are created from the values in the columns in the library. If there isn't an existing column that contains the data in the form you want, then you need to create that column. If you wanted collections based on the author sort, then yes, you need to create a column for that. But, as you want them based on the combined "Author sort - Series", then you need a column that has that builds this from other columns or templates.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
tamarissa
Connoisseur

Ah... I thought it would would combine those fields for me, not that I needed a separate column set up how I wanted it to feed through to my eReader, so thank you for clarifying that.

Resolution:

I created a new column using the 'Column built from other columns' option to automatically combine the author & series for me (Template '{author_sort} - {series}') and made the lookup name for it 'collection'.

Then I went into the device settings and changed the Collections Column to '#collection'.

Added a couple of test books to my eReader... worked perfectly! Amazing feature now that I know how to use it properly; it will make my life so much easier in the future (especially next time I get new one and have add everything again!).

Thank you so much for your help davidfor, I truly appreciate it!

Tags
calibre, collections, kobo aura h2o