Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Kobo Forma vs Kobo Aura One use with large library

I currently have a Kobo Aura H2O ver. 1 and am happy with it. Unfortunately, the battery is only working a day at a time. I originally got the H2O because it allowed me to have my entire library with my by using its mini SD capabilities. I understand e readers don't have the sd card anymore.

However, I saw that both the Kobo Forma and the Aura One have 32 gb storage which should hold my entire library and allow me to increase it.

I'm worried about the e reader's performance when so many books are loaded onto the ereader. When I tried to use a 32 GB SD card on my old Sony, I found everything was slow and laggy, including opening books.

My Questions
1. For those people who have either of those e readers and a large library, how is the performance when a large library is on the e reader?

2. What is the difference between the Forma and the Aura One?
3. Is there any other e reader that would suit my needs?
* capacity for large library
* light for night reading
* good battery life
* categories (although, I would prefer nested categories, I understand no e reader has this capability.)
* accepts epub

Thanks for any answers.
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The 32GB versions of the Forma and Aura One are sold as the Comic or Manga edition in Japan so basically their intended market is people reading large graphics oriented files. I've gone up to 9800 ebooks on a 32GB card in a Clara HD and you do start to notice hesitation as the database size becomes larger than the RAM size.

The main differences between the Aura One and Forma are that the Forma has a Mobius eInk screen so a lighter plastic substrate that is less likely to be damaged and physical page change buttons. Kobo extended the side of the Forma with the buttons which, theoretically, makes it easier to hold one-handed. The 8" vs. 7.8" screen is only noticeable in a side by side comparison.

They both have ComfortLight Pro (color changing), the battery life is good though I seldom let my ereaders go that long before a USB connection to transfer more books.

Kobo uses collections which calibre supports rather well. A book can belong to more than one collection which can reduce the need for nested collections.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You did mention other readers in your post, so I’d just note that I have just under 10,000 books on my 32GB Kindle Oasis and it works absolutely fine. The large library has only two practical consequences:

1. When you add or remove books, the library takes around 20 minutes to fully update with the changes.

2. Searching is slower.

Everything else - opening books, reading, etc - is unaffected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote