Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2021, 10:32 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Yes, it's inconsistent. If you select a single word it offers the choice to "highlight". If you select multiple words it doesn't just select, but automatically highlights and you have to undo the highlighting if you don't want it.

I didn't have as many accidental touch or swipe errors on my Sonys or on my Tolino. I guess the Kobo screen technology is more sensitive or something.

Also the Kobo is the only reader I have that occasionally when I swipe forward, it turns back. This doesn't happen in every book, but once it happens in a particular book it's likely to happen again in that book. I think the touchscreen just doesn't like me

These days I mostly use my Tolino if I'm reading in the daytime since I have fewer issues interacting with it. I use the Kobo to read in bed before going to sleep at night because it has the warm light.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never get accidental highlighting while reading, so I'm happy with the function as is.

I only use swipe to turn pages, turn page is set to "Swiping only" in reading settings. Perhaps when turning the page with a tap has something to do with the accidental highlights?

Or perhaps infrared readers don't have the accidental highlighting problem like a capacitive touch reader would? My reader is infrared.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never get accidental highlighting while reading, so I'm happy with the function as is.

I only use swipe to turn pages, turn page is set to "Swiping only" in reading settings. Perhaps when turning the page with a tap has something to do with the accidental highlights?

Or perhaps infrared readers don't have the accidental highlighting problem like a capacitive touch reader would? My reader is infrared.
My reader is set to swipe turns only because tap to turn led to other mistakes (like accidentally opening menu). I think accidental highlighting when attempting to turn pages may happen more often if I am tired.

The other problem for me is trying to adjust the brightness. I have a hard time hitting just the right part of the left margin to trigger the light adjustment. I often end up accidentally highlighting several lines of text.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I dont know what changed in my reading style on my Forma but this is driving me crazy lately, Im highlighting multiple times per reading session. Tried giving the reader a good clean, setting it to swipe to turn page etc, nothing works, just wish there was a way to just disable it, I literally have never felt the need to highlight once in all the years Ive been using e-readers since the first Sonys.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #20
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
I dont know what changed in my reading style on my Forma but this is driving me crazy lately, Im highlighting multiple times per reading session. Tried giving the reader a good clean, setting it to swipe to turn page etc, nothing works, just wish there was a way to just disable it, I literally have never felt the need to highlight once in all the years Ive been using e-readers since the first Sonys.

Anyone know where to put firmware requests to Kobo?

I don't think that this is an unreasonable ask. All I (and others want) is the ability to turn the highlighting feature off. Adding this would not negatively affect anyone that uses highlights in any way.

The code for this would some be incredibly easy to implement - just add an entry to the config file and don't execute the highlighting code if the feature was disabled.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
Anyone know where to put firmware requests to Kobo?

I don't think that this is an unreasonable ask. All I (and others want) is the ability to turn the highlighting feature off. Adding this would not negatively affect anyone that uses highlights in any way.

The code for this would some be incredibly easy to implement - just add an entry to the config file and don't execute the highlighting code if the feature was disabled.
Easy to implement maybe. However they have to then make sure it never interferes with any other code, have to spend customer service time on ensuring that the feature isn’t enabled for those who want it off but accidentally have it on.

But you can suggest things to Kobo from their website, there’s a “feedback” button that floats on the right side of the page. If you don’t see it, make sure Adblocks are disabled at least for that site
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote