Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #286
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How is you Glo HD unstable? I can't think of any problems with 4.5.9587 on my Glo HD that I would have called unstable.
Now for instance I get a white glowing screen without text on it. I try updating to the 4.5 and write a complete bugreport then.
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #287
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Long-pressing on the page footer cycles between page number / percent read / time remaining. Could there be something stuck on the screen or bezel causing it to register a continuous touch?
Hmm, I didn't know that. But with a continuous touch, wouldn't the reader immediately quit the interface when I tried to touch to summon it? (I don't know how to describe it - the thing where I simply touch in the center of the screen to summon top and down menus, then touch again outside of them to go back to reading)

Anyway, I tried turning the device off (to do some cleaning, in case it was just some dust causing some continuous touch), and when I turned it on again, it was back to normal. So, thanks for the suggestion
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #288
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Long-pressing on the page footer cycles between page number / percent read / time remaining. Could there be something stuck on the screen or bezel causing it to register a continuous touch?
That explains why recently my Glo HD has changed from showing page numbers to percentage without me changing the settings.

I assume this is an enhancement in recent firmware as I hadn't seen it before.

Thanks

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #289
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Straying off-topic, but I cannot get my Aura One to do this. Depending on which option I choose in the settings long-pressing the bottom middle of the screen will either turn the page or call up the menu (what ever I have it set to do for a short press). Is there a secret to where I need to long press? Or something else I'm not doing correctly?
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #290
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Straying off-topic, but I cannot get my Aura One to do this. Depending on which option I choose in the settings long-pressing the bottom middle of the screen will either turn the page or call up the menu (what ever I have it set to do for a short press). Is there a secret to where I need to long press? Or something else I'm not doing correctly?
For me, when I am reading a .,kepub.epub, pressing on the % read, hours to go or page xx of yy will move to the next option. For sideloaded epubs, pressing toggles between page xx of yy and % read. And note, I do mean pressing directly on the text -- moving to either side will trigger page flip or menu depending on exactly where I touch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #291
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
That explains why recently my Glo HD has changed from showing page numbers to percentage without me changing the settings.

I assume this is an enhancement in recent firmware as I hadn't seen it before.
From memory, the long press change was introduced at the same time the settings for changing the progress display were introduced. If it wasn't the same time, it was only one or two versions later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #292
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1508 View Post
Now for instance I get a white glowing screen without text on it. I try updating to the 4.5 and write a complete bugreport then.
That is commonly an issue with a particular book. It can also happen when you replace a book on the device and the new versions structure doesn't match the old books structure.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #293
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, when I am reading a .,kepub.epub, pressing on the % read, hours to go or page xx of yy will move to the next option. For sideloaded epubs, pressing toggles between page xx of yy and % read. And note, I do mean pressing directly on the text -- moving to either side will trigger page flip or menu depending on exactly where I touch.
David--Thanks for the info!

Just for curiosity's sake, I got out my old Aura HD--which is running firmware 3.15. I can get that to cycle through the footer diplay options by long pressing the bottom middle of the screen consistently. But no matter what I try, I can't get my Aura One to do this. The One is running a slightly older firmware version--4.28432 and I'm not interested in upgrading. I still have the old home page--which I want and I've got it patched with all the options I want. It's not a big deal to me--as I almost always want to see chapter pages xx of yy, but do find it interesting that I can't get this to work. When I get home tonight, I'll try restarting the One and if that doesn't work, I'll know that that's just the way my One is.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #294
darthyoda6
Connoisseur
darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen, Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:
With that description, something happened that the device re-imported all the sideloaded books. When it imports a batch of books, they all are imported into the internal database in alphabetical order. I can't remember if it is based on the title or the file name, which for my books will be roughly the same. This means the books all get roughly the same timestamp for "Date added" but it means a "Date added" sort will be a-z, and Recent will be z-a. The "Recent" will change as it uses the last reading date instead of the date added if the last reading date has been set.

Firmware 4.5.9587 has a bug for sideloaded kepubs on the SD card. Whenever books are imported, it will reimport all sideloaded kepubs that are on the SD card. This will mean resetting the date added as well as the reading status. That was my first thought for the problem you described but if it didn't happen the next time you ejected the device from Windows, something else caused the reimport of the books. Usually that means a corrupted database and that needs to be fixed before to long. If you power the device off and these books disappear, or are reimported, then that is the problem. You can also check the database using my Kobo Utilities plugin.

To fix the timestamp problems, the latest version of my Kobo Utilities plugin can set the date added on the device. This updates the database and sets it to one of the dates in the calibre library. This can be "Date" (basically the date the book was added to calibre), the modified date or the date published. That won't give you exactly the date added to the device, but these might be more useful dates and it gives more options if you need to resend all the books to the device for some reason.
I've ran the check database option, and it finds 2 issues about a cover and cover id. Where in your utility is the feature to update the date of the books on the Kobo?
darthyoda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #295
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
as I almost always want to see chapter pages xx of yy, but do find it interesting that I can't get this to work. When I get home tonight, I'll try restarting the One and if that doesn't work, I'll know that that's just the way my One is.
I just played with this on my KA1. If I'm pressing to the left, on the chapter TITLE then it didn't work. If I press to the right, on the OF between the pg x of y, it works consistently.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #296
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthyoda6 View Post
I've ran the check database option, and it finds 2 issues about a cover and cover id.
Did you take a copy of the message? I can't think how the database check would produce a reference to cover and cover id. There is a cover cleanup function that would do this, but it is separate to the database check.
Quote:
Where in your utility is the feature to update the date of the books on the Kobo?
Is it part of the "Update metadata in Device Library" function.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #297
darthyoda6
Connoisseur
darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
Did you take a copy of the message? I can't think how the database check would produce a reference to cover and cover id. There is a cover cleanup function that would do this, but it is separate to the database check.
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

row 31089 missing from index volume_shortcovers_shortcoverId
row 31089 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_volume_shortcovers_1
Quote:
Is it part of the "Update metadata in Device Library" function.
I've been using that feature for getting the series info on the Kobo screen, but didn't see the dates on there.

Last edited by darthyoda6; 09-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #298
darthyoda6
Connoisseur

I unplugged my Kobo from my laptop without making any changes to it, and it re-imported my books again, losing the book I was reading and setting it back to unread. Time to go back to 4.4.x.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #299
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthyoda6 View Post
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

row 31089 missing from index volume_shortcovers_shortcoverId
row 31089 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_volume_shortcovers_1
Of course. That means that two indexes in the database are broken. Doing a compress of the database usually fixes this. I suggest taking a backup of the database and then running the compress. Both of these functions are in the plugin.
Quote:
I've been using that feature for getting the series info on the Kobo screen, but didn't see the dates on there.
It was added in the latest release which was last week.

And if you were only doing the series info, you can let the drivers handle that automatically.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #300
dank reader
dank reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N905
I'm getting weird graphics corruption in some circumstances, a fuzzy black bar drawn over the bottom the display when I'm using certain features, principally the on screen keyboard, but other areas such as adding collections. If I know where the UI element is I can navigate past it. It appears to be happening on both of my N905.
And this is after a factory reset and update using the kobo desktop.
Has anyone else seen this?
dank reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware upgrade