Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #6226
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Actually... most folks never realized it, but they were singing about a mulatto prostitute! If my primary school music teacher learned this she'd be turning over in her grave!

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well there you go. I always thought it was about a flower. How naive am I (but I bet I'm not alone).
Well the second line was changed to remove the racial references, to the more palatable "She's the sweetest little flower....", so I guess you are excused for assuming that's what it was about.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #6227
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
...The song is based on a Texas legend from the days of the Texas War of Independence. According to the legend, a woman named Emily D. West (also known as "Emily Morgan") — a mulatto, and hence, the song's reference to her being "yellow" — who was seized by Mexican forces during the looting of Galveston seduced General Antonio López de Santa Anna, President of Mexico and commander of the Mexican forces. The legend credits her supposed seduction with lowering the guard of the Mexican army and facilitating the Texan victory in the Battle of San Jacinto waged in 1836 near present-day Houston. Santa Anna's opponent was General Sam Houston, who won the battle literally in minutes, and with almost no casualties.

The basic facts appear to be that Emily West migrated to Texas from New York City in late 1835. Sources describe her as a teen or as a woman of twenty.
Fascinating. I found this page on the song that has some of the various lyrics over the years. However, it seems to be that the link to Emily D. West was invented in the 1960s.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #6228
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fascinating. I found this page on the song that has some of the various lyrics over the years. However, it seems to be that the link to Emily D. West was invented in the 1960s.
Nice find! I love music history and was interested in the line; Edwin P. Christy in Philadelphia in 1853. Christy was the founder of the blackface minstrel group known as the Christy's Minstrels. I remember when the folk group, 'The New Christy Minstrels' formed back in '61, and had their hit single "Green Green." Such 'up' music!

As for music legends and stories... they go on and on. Perhaps the most famous of all is of the song, 'Darcy Farow.' This song is credited as being the 'perfect traditional American folk song,' having all the attributes required; young man, young woman, true love, courtship, heartbreak, and mentioning several geographic locations... It's still touted today as the perfect original folk song....but...

It was written Steve Gillette and Tom Campbell in 1962. So much for 'old' traditional American folk songs...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #6229
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I remember when the folk group, 'The New Christy Minstrels' formed back in '61, and had their hit single "Green Green." Such 'up' music!
I assume they didn't do 'black face' like the Black & White Minstrel Show! (Amazing to think it went on into the late '70s.)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #6230
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Nice find! I love music history and was interested in the line; Edwin P. Christy in Philadelphia in 1853. Christy was the founder of the blackface minstrel group known as the Christy's Minstrels. I remember when the folk group, 'The New Christy Minstrels' formed back in '61, and had their hit single "Green Green." Such 'up' music!

As for music legends and stories... they go on and on. Perhaps the most famous of all is of the song, 'Darcy Farow.' This song is credited as being the 'perfect traditional American folk song,' having all the attributes required; young man, young woman, true love, courtship, heartbreak, and mentioning several geographic locations... It's still touted today as the perfect original folk song....but...

It was written Steve Gillette and Tom Campbell in 1962. So much for 'old' traditional American folk songs...

Stitchawl

Yeah I recall the The New Christy Minstrels. Both Kenny Rogers and and Barry McGuire (of Eve of Destruction fame) got their start there.

This discussion of Yellow Rose of Texas is very interesting. I also had no idea of its origins. I always just thought it a old C&W/Folk song.

Speaking of the old racial meaning of "yellow gal" Leadbelly recorded a song titled Yellow Gal:

Speaking of which if no one has yet mentioned it Goodnight Irene fits the quiz question.

Also Carol, Little Queenie, and Maybellene by Chuck Berry.

Mony, Mony by Tommy James.

Mona by Quicksilver Messenger Service.
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #6231
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Issybird! You created a monster! You'll need a scientific calculator to declare a winner!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #6232
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Issybird! You created a monster! You'll need a scientific calculator to declare a winner!
LOL! I know! I was going to be busy, so I figured I'd start a quiz that could run itself. So lemme grab my abacus and see what we have*.

*Asking absolution in advance (actually, I don't think that's allowed....) if I'm off by a minor factor. No holds barred if I really blow it.

First ruling: Eve of Destruction and anything of that ilk counts! Good onya.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6233
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks to everyone who played. Loved the Yellow Rose of Texas information and had great fun reading all the memory joggers. Miss Congeniality points to orlok for the aforementioned Eve of Destruction and Bookpossum for going outside to classical/non-English tunes and Daithi for getting Lola, even though she's a man. Kudos to all.

The nitty-gritty: By my admittedly imprecise count, trying to eliminate the very few duplicates, SneakySnake edged out orlok. Sneaky's probably asleep, but since orlok just had a go, I figure we should wait on her. Sneaky, take the mic.

Happy earworms, folks!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #6234
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
yay! - showed Darcy Farrow song to bloke who is now playing and singing across the desk from me.

What a great quiz - thanks issybird. I really liked the after discussion. Yellow rose and all.

I will be back with a Q when I can hear myself think.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #6235
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I hope nobody minds, but after we had so much fun with the last Q. Can we think of song titles with boys names in? Extra points for singer/writer and evidence that the boy is a boy. e.g. Sunny by Boney M - I still dont know if a boy or girl. I think boy?

Preparing an excel spreadsheet to calculate points and determine the winner.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #6236
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Danny Boy - Traditional
Hey, Jude - Beatles (John Lennon)
Denis - Blondie
Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbins sang it, I don't know who wrote it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #6237
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

John Hardy, Stagger Lee, Frankie and Johnny all traditional folk songs. (Frankie is a woman, Johnny a man).

Happy Jack The Who
Richard Cory Paul Simon
Cortez the Killer Neil Young
Hey Joe various, Jimi Hendrix best known
Romeo Had Julliette Lou Reed
Tales of Brave Ulysses Cream
Keith Don't Go Nils Lofgren
Johnny B. Goode Chuck Berry
Saint Stephen Grateful Dead
Hit the Road Jack Ray Charles
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #6238
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
The Collected works of Stitchawl....

Big Bad John
John Hardy - KIngston Trio
You can call me Al - Paul Simon
Abraham, Martin, and John - Dion
John Barleycorn - Traffic
Bob Dylan's Blues
Master Jack - 4 Jacks and a Jill
Tom Dooley - Kingston Trio
Johnny B. Good - Chuck Berry
Danny's Song - Loggins and Massina
Bad, bad Leroy Brown
Fernando - Abba
Jimmy Mack - Martha and the Vandellas
Louie, Louie - Kingsmen
Stagger Lee - everybody
Alfie - Dion Warwick
Willy and the Hand Jive -
Joe Hill
Mr. Bojangles
Ballad of Davey Crockett
Lord Franklin - Pentangle
When Johnny Comes Marching Home
Don't mess around with Jim - Jim Crocce

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-23-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #6239
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Sweet Baby James James Taylor
Superman The Kinks
For Micheal Collins Jethro Tull
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #6240
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Ringo Lorne Greene