Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Readers go haywire when new?

Every time I have a new reader and download more than a hundred books on it, it starts acting up. Happened to me yesterday with the Kobo glo, I converted my epubs into Kepubs and loaded them into respective shelves in the same operation. My library is very large, 1200 sideloaded and bought books. It started freezing and resetting itself. But this also happened with every single reader I've had. My sideloaded books come from a reliable source, beautifully formatted and exquisitely laid out, with gorgeous covers and indexes. I try to do it in 100 books chunks, softly, so it can process it. But inevitably, the first days all of my readers will freeze, reboot, lose settings, so forth.
At first I thought it was the Grammata Papyre 6.2 only... But so happened with the three that came after, the Sony, Nook and Kobo.
After a while it settles, and if by any chance I have to rebuild the library again, the acting up won't be as hard.
I wonder if anybody has experienced something of the sort...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reading 100 books a year - forget about putting additional books on your device, thus possibly increasing the amount - would still take you 12 years to read those 1200 titles.

Why would you want to have 12 years worth of reading on your device?

Or, to take this in another direction: Why would you ONLY want 12 years worth of reading? Why not go for 30 or 40 years?

To attempt to answer your question: Putting such large numbers on your Reader (100 books or more at a whack) means that the Reader needs to index all that stuff. Plug it in for 3 or 4 days and let it create an index, and just forget about it until then.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read most of the books I have, I'm 50 or so books behind. Thing is, I do it as a way to backup my books. I know, it's a lot, but many I go back every once in a while.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I've read most of the books I have, I'm 50 or so books behind. Thing is, I do it as a way to backup my books. I know, it's a lot, but many I go back every once in a while.

You need to start using a book manager.

You should try using calibre to manage your books. Mark the ones you've read using calibre and get it off that reader.

Calibre will maintain your library, manage your collection, and sometimes it'll make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Don
Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
100 books at a time would be too much for a Kindle. It has to index all the books. More like 20 at a time would be better. Much faster in the long run, too. 100 books would kind of "constipate" the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
susaz
Zealot

I think that is what's going on... As if it didn't like the books to be kepub, it all started when converting the books and installing a plugin to Calibre to send only Kepubs to the device. I'll run it again, this time in a more sedated pace...
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've put as many as 4000 books on a reader at one time. To prevent freeze ups I usually eject and disconnect my reader, reconnect it again without connecting it as a USB device and let it sit there for an hour or two. Seems to work but could be supposition and superstition on my part.

I like having a good selection on my reader and as capacity is often listed as a selling point I assume I am not alone. I may not read them all, especially as many are reference book and cookbooks and quite a few are books for my mother to read when she comes to visit for a few days and has left her reader behind. I don't feel that using say 2 gig out of out of 32 gig is a practice to be berated. There are people in this world who have several thousand paper books in their houses.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Reading 100 books a year - forget about putting additional books on your device, thus possibly increasing the amount - would still take you 12 years to read those 1200 titles.

Why would you want to have 12 years worth of reading on your device?
When you put it that way, I ought to stop buying ebooks because I'll never finish the ones I have.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You need to start using a book manager.

You should try using calibre to manage your books. Mark the ones you've read using calibre and get it off that reader.
... and then sync your Calibre library with Dropbox, and you're off and racing with both offsite backup and ready availability from your reader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
When you put it that way, I ought to stop buying ebooks because I'll never finish the ones I have.
It's what I'm trying to do... I have about 600 on my to-be-read list. I've gotten very picky about what I buy in the last several months.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't really see why we shouldn't have our entire collections on our devices. If it doesn't work it's bad software design.

I have all my unread Kindle books, over 500, on my Kindle. It's fine, except for the time it takes to page through them all. (I have all my unread Kobo books on my Kobo, too, but in that case it's about 4. )
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post

If you want to collect the books and not read them, then that might be a viable choice for you. It would ultimately be your decision, of course.

Don
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have about 500-600 books on my kindle right now, unread and purchased from Amazon. I also have about 200 samples and magazines. Total of 800 items. I don't keep read items on my device. But I didn't load all of them at once, they get loaded as I buy them now. Now I did start with a batch when I got my PW1, but I did it in chunks of like 30.

I have had no issues with freezing or anything else really. When I first got my PW1, coming from a K3, I had planned not to send all my purchased not yet read books to my new kindle. I tried to keep it low.
But then I just kept buying books. Then I figured what the heck, I'll just put on everything I bought and not yet read on it again.
And here we are.

I have 658 MB free still. My numbers might go the other way, if I could just stop buying more books than I can read. But what would be the fun in that.

I will read them all eventually, I read 100's of books a year so its not really that bad. I buy when I get a bargain, so I really am saving money. Really.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
While others keep ludicrous amounts of books on their devices I am in the middle. I feel no need whatsoever to keep my entire library on any of my devices. There is quite literally no reason that I can think of to keep my entire library of books on me. 'Specially when Amazon has that nifty cloud thing they keep a 'talkin' about.

But as backup, I understand. However, if you want mere backup of the files, perhaps just copy all of your books, or the directory that all of the books are stored in to a USB drive. And then a cloud service such as Google Drive. Local backups combined with network backups provides for a fair amount of redundancy.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have about 300 books on my Kobo glo and it handles it just fine.
The reason I have so many is I travel a fair bit and like to reread books, many of which are part of a series.

Also, sometimes I like to reread just certain parts of a book or check something for reference.

It was one of the big selling points of getting an ereader for me that I could store lots of books on it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote