Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #46
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
She did use the word bait, and as I said before I do understand why she used that word, but she didn't use it till after the fact. After Jack had followed her instead of Bod. I don't think Bod had ever considered using her as bait. He did use himself as bait though and was completely willing to do that. .
Ah - I guess I misunderstood what he was doing, in all the excitement. It’s silly I know, but I tend to rush through the scary parts of books, so I can make sure everyone gets out ok.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #47
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Bring on the Adventures of the Honor Guard! These are the types of questions that I think are fun for young readers to spark their imaginations. I didn't have to know the answers to these questions while reading, but they would be fun to explore in other books. I agree that I like that we don't exactly know what Bod does next.

It appears he is considering a sequel to The Graveyard Book. Also, he does list Silas as being one of his favorite characters, "the kind of characters who never stand in the spotlight, but who make the book work."
http://www.mousecircus.com/meet-neil-gaiman/

This interview with Publishers Weekly is especially insightful.
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...il-gaiman.html
I read a bit about the possible sequel in the afterword Gaiman wrote in the Anniversary Edition of the book. He said that it might not go back to the graveyard. But will it go back to Scarlet? I liked that quirky relationship and it seems that Scarlet has certain powers of her own.

Their parting had such a bitter-sweet quality. It would be nice if they met again somehow.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-18-2019 at 02:49 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #48
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Here I must quote Bod himself: ‘It wasn’t like that.’

At least not consciously. We might argue whether the Bod had this in his mind unconsciously (even Bod may be wondering that), but the hiding place was chosen as what seemed the best and most secret place in the graveyard.

The lead up to hiding Scarlett went:

This doesn't sound like Bod making plans to use Scarlett as bait.
No it doesn’t! Thanks for the quotes and setting me straight gmw. I wanted to go back to the passage and reread it, but had already released the book back to the library. I have a bad habit of rushing through the tense moments in books to make sure everyone’s ok - an occupational hazard. Apologies to Gaiman and Bod’s friends for maligning him
Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Do the initials provide a clue as to what Gaiman thought of her? Scarlett Amber Perkins--SAP.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #50
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Seems a bit of a stretch, Catlady. Though goodness knows authors have done stupider things.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #51
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Perhaps there is more significance in the choice of names being colorful and warm. She represents the living outside world in contrast to the faded Bod and invisible ghost people. Or it even contrasts with the coldness of the name Jack Frost. Also it is ironic that in her first adventure with Bod as small children they encounter the Indigo Man, another use of colors in a name.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #52
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I AM joking, but really--Gaiman never thought to change the last name? Smith, Jones, something that didn't create an insulting three-letter word? Guess he never visited a baby names site advising parents to be careful about things like this.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #53
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Do the initials provide a clue as to what Gaiman thought of her? Scarlett Amber Perkins--SAP.
Now who’s using Scarlett as bait?

(sorry, I couldn’t resist )
Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #54
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I think of the definition of sap as being someone who is either overly expressive about their emotions or someone that is a gullible fool. I think she was the latter when she got into the car with the stranger Jack, befriended him and that was what enabled him to get close to Bod.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #55
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Reverting back to the ancient tomb under the hill, and its guardian The Sleer: I have just finished reading The Second Jungle Book and was struck by Gaiman’s adaptation of the story called “The King’s Ankus”.

The original is very powerful, and Gaiman has “translated” it very effectively.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
When I read this, I couldn't help thinking of other works set in graveyards, especially where the dead are animate and interact with the living. One of my favorite books from last year was George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo. Another fairly recent read of mine is Peter S. Beagle's A Fine and Private Place, set very recognizably in Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx. Then there's the drama Our Town.

I'm starting from this point to say that I felt there were a lot of shout-outs to other works, as has been mentioned above. The first thing I thought of with the Macabray was Mary Poppins. And surely Silas is borrowed from Buffy? Can you see a reference to the Bishop of Bath and Wells, as portrayed here, and not think of The Black Adder? (Well, I couldn't.)

Last edited by issybird; 05-23-2019 at 06:15 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When I read this, I couldn't help thinking of other works set in graveyards, especially where the dead are animate and interact with the living. One of my favorite books from last year was George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo. Another fairly recent read of mine is Peter S. Beagles' A Find and Private Place, set very recognizably in Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx. Then there's the drama Our Town.

I'm starting from this point to say that I felt there were a lot of shout-outs to other works, as has been mentioned above. The first thing I thought of with the Macabray was Mary Poppins. And surely Silas is borrowed from Buffy? Can you see a reference to the Bishop of Bath and Wells, as portrayed here, and not think of The Black Adder? (Well, I couldn't.)
I too thought of Beagle's Fine and Private Place, though I read that so long ago that details are fuzzy--basically, all I remember is the graveyard setting and no unicorns.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #58
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I too thought of Beagle's Fine and Private Place, though I read that so long ago that details are fuzzy--basically, all I remember is the graveyard setting and no unicorns.
I haven't read either book, so that's a couple more for the TBR list.

I hadn't realised there was the possibility of finding unicorns in graveyards. I must investigate further.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This wasn't a funny book in general, but Nehemiah Trot provided some comic relief. I laughed at loud when he counseled Bod about Scarlett, "Oh! You must go to her and implore her. You must call her your Terpshichore, your Echo, your Clytemnestra."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

One of the things I loved was the way we were given an individual's tombstone words along with his or her name:

Quote:
And so it went, until it was time for Grammar and Composition with Miss Letitia Borrows, Spinster of this Parish (Who Did No Harm to No Man all the Dais of Her Life. Reader, Can You Say Lykewise?)