Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
BisonMami
BisonMami began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Inexpensive Android ereader

I originally joined the forum several years ago and it was a huge help in buying and rooting my first eReader, a Nook Simple Touch that I eventually passed to my son and upgraded to the NST Glowlight. It was great because at the time, most of my book were either Amazon or BN and the Amazon app was functional. Lately, I've been getting most of my books from the local libraries via Overdrive and reading on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" (which I absolutely adore).

I rarely have time for leisure reading as I'm currently completing residency, but when I do I would like to maximize my time. So, I'm looking for an Android eReader capable of running apps for Amazon, Overdrive, Project Gutenberg, and Librivox. I would love if Goodreads was also accessible, but this is not absolutely necessary.

Must haves:
  • Amazon app
  • Overdrive app
  • Light for reading at night, preferably warm hues
  • small form factor (6-8")

I honestly would rather not spend a lot of money, $150 is my limit. Would a Nook Glowlight Plus or Glowlight 3 be able to run these apps, if rooted? I don't mind taking the time up front to get it set up. I do not want to be tethered to a computer so sideloading is not an option. I'd like to access the libraries directly from the device. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've looked at the Boox Prime Pro, but I cannot find a retailer in the US and it's nearly $200 to ship from China.
BisonMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Costco currently has the Samsung Tab A 8 inch tablet on for $129. Might be worth a look.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Amazon's own fire tablets are incrediby cheap and are on valentine's sale 30 per cent off as I type

Amazon shopping. Video and good reads are all pre installed, overdrive is available and works. The newer Libby app is even better.
You can install Google store if you locate a set of instructions
Comfort light is also built in and they come in 7 8 10 inch sizes
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
A Kindle Fire HD8 sounds like it might be a match for you. Currently $79. Go on sale all the time. Price ranges from $59 to $99 usually (I paid $59). Uses Amazons own app store by default, but you can easily add Google Play to the tablet and gets apps from that larger repository.

Note: This is a tablet, not an eReader. And you already have a Galaxy Tab S2. Are you looking specifically for an eReader? These will be smaller and lighter, but less functional for your stated needs. A rooted eReader might work for you, might not. It will be a lot more work, with inferior end results. Unless your absolute most important requirement is that the device be super light in weight. I personally prefer an eReader over a tablet for reading books, but you laid down a lot of requirements beyond reading for your next device. I think you might do better with a tablet (but you already have one???)

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-.../dp/B0794RHPZD

The 7" version of the Kindle Fire is even cheaper, but I'd go for the 8" because it adds not only screen size, but better resolution, bigger battery, more memory, more powerful CPU, etc. And the 8" is typically only $10 to $20 more than the 7".

It's not an iPad, but then, it almost costs less than a just the Apple branded charging cord for an iPad!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I got my Kobo Clara for $99 right before Christmas (ordered from Walmart . com). Then, with one easy change to a config file, as seen on this site, I changed the affiliate tag to Kobo and no longer see anything related to Walmart.
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
So many recommendations for a tablet when the OP asked for an ereader. Also the clara is not android. Do people not read?

A cheap android ereader? Cheap is hard to find. I think your best bet might be a slghtly older 6" onyx boox model on ebay. I can see them there for under 150 with free shipping. No warm light. Android will be 4.0 but you should be able to find apks on the net to sideload the apps you want.

Don't touch the nooks after the simple touch. They suck for android. Very unstable or partitioned.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-08-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
BisonMami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
So many recommendations for a tablet when the OP asked for an ereader. Also the clara is not android. Do people not read?

A cheap android ereader? Cheap is hard to find. I think your best bet might be a slghtly older 6" onyx boox model on ebay. I can see them there for under 150 with free shipping. No warm light. Android will be 4.0 but you should be able to find apks on the net to sideload the apps you want.

Don't touch the nooks after the simple touch. They suck for android. Very unstable or partitioned.
Thank you for your reply. I was looking at the Nook Glowlight 3, but will hold off based on your comments. I've seen older onyx and likebook models within my price range that I hadn't considered because I really wanted the warm light. But that's not a deal breaker.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonMami View Post
Thank you for your reply. I was looking at the Nook Glowlight 3, but will hold off based on your comments. I've seen older onyx and likebook models within my price range that I hadn't considered because I really wanted the warm light. But that's not a deal breaker.
The nook gl3 orange light is amazing. Unfortunately the software is extremely unstable. I bricked one whwn I rooted it. Only device I ever bricked. I have an Onyx poke pro now. It has its issues but I like it still. I wanted it because I too wanted the orange light. But on reflection, its not that big a deal. If I had my time again, I would get an older Onyx. Better value, and maybe with less issues. But make sure you can find apks that will work with 4.0. I don't think they will upgrade to 4.4.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
BisonMami

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
A Kindle Fire HD8 sounds like it might be a match for you. Currently $79. Go on sale all the time. Price ranges from $59 to $99 usually (I paid $59). Uses Amazons own app store by default, but you can easily add Google Play to the tablet and gets apps from that larger repository.

Note: This is a tablet, not an eReader. And you already have a Galaxy Tab S2. Are you looking specifically for an eReader? These will be smaller and lighter, but less functional for your stated needs. A rooted eReader might work for you, might not. It will be a lot more work, with inferior end results. Unless your absolute most important requirement is that the device be super light in weight. I personally prefer an eReader over a tablet for reading books, but you laid down a lot of requirements beyond reading for your next device. I think you might do better with a tablet (but you already have one???)

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-.../dp/B0794RHPZD

The 7" version of the Kindle Fire is even cheaper, but I'd go for the 8" because it adds not only screen size, but better resolution, bigger battery, more memory, more powerful CPU, etc. And the 8" is typically only $10 to $20 more than the 7".

It's not an iPad, but then, it almost costs less than a just the Apple branded charging cord for an iPad!
I'm looking specifically for an ereader. None of the Kindle Fire tablets can hold a candle to my S2, which is quite light and comfortable to hold. I need a device only for reading, which is why I'd like the Overdrive and Kindle apps.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
BisonMami

Quote:
The nook gl3 orange light is amazing. Unfortunately the software is extremely unstable. I bricked one whwn I rooted it. Only device I ever bricked. I have an Onyx poke pro now. It has its issues but I like it still. I wanted it because I too wanted the orange light. But on reflection, its not that big a deal. If I had my time again, I would get an older Onyx. Better value, and maybe with less issues. But make sure you can find apks that will work with 4.0. I don't think they will upgrade to 4.4.
Thank you for your reply. I was considering the Onyx Poke pro, was hoping to find one used or just up my price limit. My concern is finding apks that work and will continue to work for the foreseeable future. I haven't been able to find out if there is a working Kindle app for that version of Android. That was the biggest issue with my NST glowlight. The Kindle app stopped working. Looks like I may have to splurge on a device with Android 6.0.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

Be careful getting the poke pro. There are issues with it I have outlined in the onyx forum. See the thread onyx poke pro first impressions. Basically the touch screen has issues. Also the battery gets used up fast. Personally I'm okay with it and use it all the time, but it has flaws. Beware. For sure it will run tons of apps. The thing is amazing for that. Also its great for reading old scanned pdf sources. The Likebook Mars is also Android 6, I think, but I don't know much about it. I prefer Onyx over Boyue based on previous bad experiences with an older Boyue model, but YMMV.

Regarding the kindle app, why not just dedrm and sideload, or just read on a kindle? For overdrive maybe the kobo or kindle will work. For things like gutenberg etc, learn to convert and sideload etc. Its just a thought.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-12-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
BisonMami

Quote:
Be careful getting the poke pro. There are issues with it I have outlined in the onyx forum. See the thread onyx poke pro first impressions. Basically the touch screen has issues. Also the battery gets used up fast. Personally I'm okay with it and use it all the time, but it has flaws. Beware. For sure it will run tons of apps. The thing is amazing for that. Also its great for reading old scanned pdf sources. The Likebook Mars is also Android 6, I think, but I don't know much about it. I prefer Onyx over Boyue based on previous bad experiences with an older Boyue model, but YMMV.

Regarding the kindle app, why not just dedrm and sideload, or just read on a kindle? For overdrive maybe the kobo or kindle will work. For things like gutenberg etc, learn to convert and sideload etc. Its just a thought.
I have used calibre in the past and I'm familiar with sideloading books. I'd just like to make the process as efficient as possible since I work 80-100 hours a week. I really just want to be able to access the bulk of my books from the ereader without being tethered to the computer.
I will look into automating the process as much as possible with Calibre, apparently there is a lot of functionality that I never explored.

I get most of my books from my local library via OverDrive. Not all of them are available on Kindle, which is why I'd prefer an Android device or a non-Kindle device. I read about Kobo having OverDrive access built in, but was limited to books that Kobo has for sale in it's marketplace. I haven't really looked to see if my recent reads were also available on Kobo, but it might be worth the investment. I also borrow books from multiple libraries with OverDrive, which can easily be handled with the app.

I really just want a solution that will allow me to read as many books as possible with as little effort as possible.

Last edited by BisonMami; 02-12-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Add additional information
Old 02-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard

A quick note. I think the Poke Pro would suit most of your needs. Yeah, it ain't cheap. Also consider the Likebook Mars. A point about the Poke Pro: Google Playstore does not work out of the box. It is installed, but Google does not recognize the device as valid. It's a new Google thing. There is, I believe, a simple workaround, but I don't know it and I haven't done it. Apparently the user bookter in Germany who sells Boox's knows it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #14
BisonMami

Quote:
A quick note. I think the Poke Pro would suit most of your needs. Yeah, it ain't cheap. Also consider the Likebook Mars. A point about the Poke Pro: Google Playstore does not work out of the box. It is installed, but Google does not recognize the device as valid. It's a new Google thing. There is, I believe, a simple workaround, but I don't know it and I haven't done it. Apparently the user bookter in Germany who sells Boox's knows it.
Thank you for all of your help. That's the conclusion I had reached, as well. I'll more than likely get the Likebook Mars since that one is available for purchase on Amazon.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #15
sawdin2
Enthusiast
sawdin2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage; Former Nook HD+ user
BisonMami,

Curious as to why you didn't just use your Samsung Tab S2? I'm thinking of getting a new Samsung Tab S2 9.7 or ipad to use as an ereader. Which ereader did you purchase, and how does it compare to reading using your Samsung Tab S2?

TIA!
sawdin2 is offline   Reply With Quote