Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #46
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
I had the mynook.ru firmware. Dropped the update file in the root directory of the Nook and it upgraded just fine. Lost the russian firmware but i like the new one better. Not special character support though...
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #47
smafra
smafra began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
Nookdevs.com does not have the 1.5 version softrooted yet or I didn´t find any points to that on their site? It seems that we (nook rooted owners) should wait for nookdevs.com and be careful with wi-fi connections to prevent automatic upgrade to 1.5.
If it happens, it will create two partitions on the nook rooted (the old one and the 1.5).
smafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #48
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was lurking on nookdevs' irc chat room, and from what i could gather (but don't hold me to it), 1.5 is downgradable, so no worries on updating if you're afraid of losing your rootability. (this is if you have the older hardware and not the new one that is harder to root).
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #49
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I'm real curious to know about what they did to improve battery life. I'm a bit skeptical.

Page turns never really bothered me but they are impressively faster. I wonder if they did something with caching. Is it faster when paging forward rather than backward?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #50
smafra
smafra began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
I was lurking on nookdevs' irc chat room, and from what i could gather (but don't hold me to it), 1.5 is downgradable, so no worries on updating if you're afraid of losing your rootability. (this is if you have the older hardware and not the new one that is harder to root).
Do we have any "brave hearts" that already upgraded to 1.5 and can help us?
smafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #51
kconan
kconan began at the beginning.

Device: nonw
This is weird. I have root 1.4 nook and I updated from the device directly. Now I have 1.5 and I still see the nookdev apps...

When the nook starts up I can choose from this two options:

HOME

or Launcher

If I press home I go to the menu of 1.5 version adn if I press launcher I go to my custom root menu with the non official apps.

How is this possible???
kconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #52
barrist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconan View Post
This is weird. I have root 1.4 nook and I updated from the device directly. Now I have 1.5 and I still see the nookdev apps...

When the nook starts up I can choose from this two options:

HOME

or Launcher

If I press home I go to the menu of 1.5 version adn if I press launcher I go to my custom root menu with the non official apps.

How is this possible???

do the nookdevs apps run?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #53
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Is it faster when paging forward rather than backward?
It is faster forward.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #54
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
I'm loving the upgrades! One of my favorites is the ability to delete books directly from the device, and it has a confirmation tap built in to ensure you don't dump something accidentally. The shelves are awesome - next step for upgrade would be the ability to collapse them on the device screen. Thrilled with my nook again!
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #55
barrist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smafra View Post
Do we have any "brave hearts" that already upgraded to 1.5 and can help us?
looks like it should be okay. i asked to clarify:

Code:
[09:42] <barrist> i think someone confirmed it last night but 1.5 is downgradable right? (at least with the older hardware)
[09:44] <Disconnect> you can do the standard 1.0 softroot
[09:45] <Disconnect> and i dunno if anyone grabbed it yet, but the new ver is 2.6.27-svn29953
[09:46] <barrist> alright sounds good. so if i wanted to go back to 1.4 root, there should be no problem
[09:46] <barrist> thanks
[09:47] <Disconnect> yah. someone did it successfully last night
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #56
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
One of my favorites is the ability to delete books directly from the device, and it has a confirmation tap built in to ensure you don't dump something accidentally.
I didn't even notice that. Thanks!
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #57
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
I'm real curious to know about what they did to improve battery life. I'm a bit skeptical.
My battery life was pretty great if I shut down the reader at night, so... if I had to guess, an easy target was the power consumption during sleep.

Also, I'm guessing some work to improve the wake-up to check for new content. It seemed very unnecessary to actually turn on the displays during that process.

Quote:
Page turns never really bothered me but they are impressively faster. I wonder if they did something with caching. Is it faster when paging forward rather than backward?
I had a similar thought, but, unlike GERGE, my forward and backward transition speed is the same.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #58
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm wondering if those with softrooted nooks already have the increased speed.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #59
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I'm wondering if those with softrooted nooks already have the increased speed.
No, because the reading app is untouched (it's the original app without modifications)
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #60
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I finally got 1.5 installed but couldn't do it any other way than going back to 1.0.0 first

Quote:
1) Turn off the nook.

2) Press and let go the power button.

3) The second it flashes a black screen, hold down the power button for 12 seconds.

4) Perform Step 2-3 an additional 5 times(total 6)

5) Then restart normally. The nook will then start the standard software update procedure, restoring the stock firmware.
http://nookdevs.com/Softroot#What_if...e_island.29.3F

Also, page turning update... wow.

Last edited by dirtygreek; 11-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote