Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
Fuzzi
Fuzzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
First you wanted fixed width, I said no program does that, which is true.
I still want fixed width.
Max-width is a compromise which would also be good and definitely an improvement. I'm open to that.
That programs do have fixed width (and a ton of max-width), see proof in my post before and in every Microsoft-product.

Quote:
So now you say you want max width, with word breaking.
Word-wrap is a necessity whenever you limit the width - no matter if fixed or max.
Cutting the words would be ugly and placing ellipsis also isn't acceptable imho.

Quote:
so trading vertical space for horizontal space does not make much sense to me
We're talking about 5px vertical space (red in my example) as a tradeoff for a clean, tidy menubar with less waste of width (~30% = 45px in the example and for more than half of the default items) and therefore more directly usable items!
Let it be 10px vertical space if you want more padding.
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_icon.png
Views:	171
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	164040

Quote:
feel free to propose it to the Qt (Qt is what calibre uses for its widgets) developers
Uhm, ok, never heard about that before. Is that the right one?
https://www.qt.io/
I will let you know their answer.

However, thanks for hearing me and giving answers.

@jbacelar
Thanks. But if some new code is needed anyway I'd rather ask the ones for the solid solution first (QT) which will be beneficial for everyone than asking an addon author for a custom workaround.

Last edited by Fuzzi; 05-18-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added an "in" in first paragraph
Fuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi View Post
But if some new code is needed anyway I'd rather ask the ones for the solid solution first (QT) which will be beneficial for everyone than asking an addon author for a custom workaround.
How can you possibly judge it will be better for everyone?

I have several packages that I use every day that utilise the QT framework, calibre being one of those; someone else will have another set of applications, possibly running on some obscure platform - none of which I've ever heard of.

I don't know if KG keeps a count, but I wouldn't be surprised the number of QT workarounds he has had to implement is a double digit number. Same with the Sigil developers.

If anything were to be done on this front for calibre I'd rather it be done by Kovid, read what another highly respected software developer has to say about him ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=19

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Fuzzi

@BetterRed
I don't get your point.

Isn't it better for everyone using QT to have a max-width option?

Isn't it better for everyone to have a cleaner UI at first touch rather than having to customize it (which e.g. is a big minus for foobar2000 which overall still is a great program)?

Isn't it easier for KG to set a given QT option rather than for an addon author to make it possible to change default icon's titles which is a hacky workaround only few people who have that addon and know about it will benefit from?

And why did the mood in this thread become so bad?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Fuzzi - QT is used in a variety of application systems: desktop, phone/tablet, and embedded. The only people who can make a judgement that something is better for everyone are the QT developers.

On the more general point:
  • many (most perhaps) calibre users would regard its interface as one of the most flexible around, e.g. how many other products allow the user to define the content, let alone the order, of the main context menu;
  • in the 6 years I've been using calibre there have been a number of people who have 'complained' about its UI, few if any of them have done anything constructive to address their complaints, even though calibre is open source;
  • calibre has over 3 million active users, changes to the UI invariably generate 'what happened to XXXX' questions, not only just after the change is made, but years later, like when their Linux distro gets around to updating calibre.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #20
Fuzzi

@BetterRed
Ah come on, again. You know what "everyone" means. It's not my grandma and it's not people who don't make use of such an option.

To the general points
  • I never said Calibre UI would be unflexible or it should be less flexible?! Is this a point like "We already have the best, do not change anything!!"
  • I am not able to do it myself, otherwise I may have made a pull request. I can only give reasons to take action. And what do you expect from me to be more constructive? I even made a before-after-picture. Please ask back if anything of the proposal is unclear.
  • Nothing less will be visible. So there won't be "what happened to" questions. And people who update only every year with huge version jumps have to expect changes, thats not different in other programs and the users fault.

Last edited by Fuzzi; 05-19-2018 at 05:21 AM. Reason: specified "it"
Old 05-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #21
Fuzzi

Hey,
got an answer from the Qt guys:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qt
You mean you want it to dynamic word wrap and not use \n for it ?

setMaximumWidth already exists but for the word wrap, you would have to make a custom QToolButton and handle it yourself. Also you might need to
override sizeHint() too as as far as i recall it looks at the text and will be unaware if
you word wrap it in paintEvent.
So...
To prevent that workaround and not overcomplicate it, I consider it an appropriate solution to hardcode the wordwraps and define a minWidth to approximate the width for all buttons.

Last edited by Fuzzi; 05-22-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #22
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Another solution Just occurred to me, even if it is a stupid one.

You could create your own set of Icons which Just contain text to replace the Calibre icons. This would give you a sort of menu Bar. You could adjust the text to suit your tastes.

This is quite easy to do and would not take a lot of time. I have replaced a number if Calibre Icons for Icons I prefer.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi View Post
Hey,
got an answer from the Qt guys:

So...
To prevent that workaround and not overcomplicate it, I consider it an appropriate solution to hardcode the wordwraps and define a minWidth to approximate the width for all buttons.
That will not work, if the text has multiple lines in it Qt will paint the icons without their bases aligned, which is much worse. Like the attached image
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180523_143633.png
Views:	137
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	164079  
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:11 AM   #24
Fuzzi

@Thasaidon
Thanks, I tried. It doesn't work as the icons get resized to a fixed square width automatically, making the title unreadably small.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #25
Fuzzi

@kovidgoyal
So the title isn't in its own box?
Actually imho its more clean the way it is (aligned at top, line 1 always at the same level, no matter if there is a second one or not). I don't think vertical centering is necessary.

What is strange to me is the difference e.g. from "test library" to "save to disk".
Not even the icon baselines are at the same level, whereas it works for other single line titles like "mark books" or "preferences".

The only faulty ones are "test library", "Connect/share" and maybe the donation button which doesn't have a title for whatever reason.

/edit
Corrected those three and gave the font a bit less top/bottom padding - already looks gorgeous, even without caring about min-width!
Unfortunately I can't tell where the differences come from. It has to be something programatically or different alphatransparency-padding hardcoded in icon images?

Name:	Screenshot_20180523_143633.png
Views:	136
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	164080

/edit2
How about adding a dummy line to "test library" and "Connect/share"? Just an \n at the end.

Last edited by Fuzzi; 05-23-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: add screenshot
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really, you think that looks beautiful? I think that looks awful

It wastes a whole 10px of vertical height just to wrap 3 buttons. It might be more neccessary for other languages, but for English its pretty bad.

Connect/share and test library just have not been changed, it requires some more work for that.

I certainly dont want to enable it by default, but I can probably add an option for it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And here's what it looks like with all multi-word texts wrapped
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180523_182322.png
Views:	162
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	164081  
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If I want to know what my UNLABELED icons do, I hover and look at the balloon help.
Vertical space has better uses
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...aef324a31ae5ac
Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
Fuzzi

Oh, I was just photoshopping two versions which maintain the old height (just lowering vertical padding) to show you don't need to "lose" 5 oder even 10px (which I personally don't mind) and you already made a PR. Cool :-)

I think that should solve it.

Btw the issue is better visible if you didn't choose large but medium or small icons. However, ultimately the title length usually defines the width of a button, not the icon size.

Name:	compare.png
Views:	164
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	164082

Tags
icons, menubar