Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Pete
Pete is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Cheap reader?

Hello all,

Im trying to decide between a Sony clie and a Palm tungsten, basically my question is which one has a larger screen? Im trying to stay under 50$ (ebay), but Im willing to spend a bit more if it seems wise for me to do so. The models Im looking at both have color screens and at least 320x320 resolution, which are two things that I want. The clie seem to be getting higher prices for less powerful hardware, though, and I would prefer to get more bang for my buck. Any advice on which of these two, or any other low priced reader/PDA would be appreciated. If you can, please be specific about model #s. I dont know much about PDAs

Thanks

Looking around some, the Tugesten T3s look like they may be good.

Last edited by Pete; 11-24-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: addd info
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
They both have the same size screens and both will function equally well as an eBook reader.

If you move to the Tungsten E2 or TX, the graffiti area is virtual, making more screen area for eBooks. Of course, those devices cost more.

The very low end Palms have smaller (like the m5 and Zire) physically smaller screens (but the same resolution).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may also wish to consider Pocket PC devices - that would give you the option of using Microsoft Reader, which is actually a pretty nice reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Pete

Youre right, Ive only had time for a cursory glance, but those pocket pcs look like they may fit the bill exactly. Fairly powerful, larger screens, low prices, and they seem to have decent resolutions. Thanks.

I have to say, its kind of amazing that we are able to get any of these devices so cheaply. Judging by the shipping prices on ebay they seem to be made of depleted uranium.... or at least solid lead.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at the Cassiopeia A-20 or A-11.
Grey LCD display. Cam be read without backlight.
I have been using one as a reader until I replaced it with Sony Reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
It has been my experience anything small and electronic from ebay is made from very heavy materials. I have yet to recover the cost of shipping an SD Card!
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Pete

I picked up an HP ipaq h1945. Id have preferred if it was a full 320x320 instead of 240x320, but hopefully it wont be that big of a deal. It was 50$ with cheap shipping, so Im not in too deep. Seriously on the shipping side of things, some of those rates are completely ridiculous. I sold an old Budweiser Clydesdale model kit that was three feet long not too long ago, and it cost like 20.00 to ship. The most I could reasonably see an PDA shipping for would be 10.00.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
The low price and high shipping thing is a way to:
a) make the item look cheaper in the listings, and
b) reduce the eBay fees that the seller pays.

It is daft, but I have just got used to looking at the total price
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Pete

Ive had the IPAQ 1945 for a few days now, so I figure Id put down how its working out just in case someone runs across this thread in the future and wants to use it as a reference.

The screen size and resolution are perfectly fine, the text is pretty sharp, I definitely have no problems reading it. I think it might be a bit better if it had a full 320x320, but Id rather have a larger screen that a little bit better defined text. Plus, Im not positive that another 120 resolution one way would even make that big of a difference. (the ipaqs resolution is 320x240)

Since all the buttons are customizable on the device, there are alot of options for turning the pages. Ive got it set so that the two inner buttons scroll up and down, so that any position I want to hold the device in the downward button turns the page (I switch between the two landscape orientations and holding the device right side up--I have that linked to a button too, through the Mobipocket options).

I tried MS reader, but even with the lowest font size, the text was still too large. I went with Mobipocket and Im quite happy with it. The text size is nice and small, the background is black and the text is yellowish. I did that to help with the battery.

And speaking of the battery, thats the one area that Im not 100% pleased with. It does drop energy quickly. Id guess that It goes down 1% every 5 minutes or so--maybe a bit more, maybe less, I havent really timed it. The device does recharge very quickly, though, and uses very little energy when in standby mode, so both of those help alot with the battery issue--but it still isnt a device that youd want to depend on for a long road trip or continental flight. This is an old battery, though, so a newer one might perform much better. Ive considered getting one, they can be had on ebay for 10-12 dollars, shipping included.

And, of course, It does have all the functions of a PDA, so its not a "one trick pony" to use a metaphor I dont really care for.

So all in all, its definitely a good little reader, Id say worth considering if youre in 50$ market.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ive had the IPAQ 1945 for a few days now, so I figure Id put down how its working out just in case someone runs across this thread in the future and wants to use it as a reference.

And speaking of the battery, thats the one area that Im not 100% pleased with. It does drop energy quickly. Id guess that It goes down 1% every 5 minutes or so--maybe a bit more, maybe less, I havent really timed it. The device does recharge very quickly, though, and uses very little energy when in standby mode, so both of those help alot with the battery issue--but it still isnt a device that youd want to depend on for a long road trip or continental flight. This is an old battery, though, so a newer one might perform much better. Ive considered getting one, they can be had on ebay for 10-12 dollars, shipping included.
A new battery will definitely help. If you keep the backlight low you should get about 5 - 6 hours on a charge with a fresh battery on that model I believe. Be sure BT is off.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
congrats on your PPC purchase!

I would recommend as stated earliesr Mobipocket for Pocket Pcs. A great piece of software. I would suggest making the background black and print white ..less stress on the eyes.

good luck.

Quote:

The screen size and resolution are perfectly fine, the text is pretty sharp, I definitely have no problems reading it. I think it might be a bit better if it had a full 320x320, but Id rather have a larger screen that a little bit better defined text. Plus, Im not positive that another 120 resolution one way would even make that big of a difference. (the ipaqs resolution is 320x240)

Since all the buttons are customizable on the device, there are alot of options for turning the pages. Ive got it set so that the two inner buttons scroll up and down, so that any position I want to hold the device in the downward button turns the page (I switch between the two landscape orientations and holding the device right side up--I have that linked to a button too, through the Mobipocket options).

I tried MS reader, but even with the lowest font size, the text was still too large. I went with Mobipocket and Im quite happy with it. The text size is nice and small, the background is black and the text is yellowish. I did that to help with the battery.

And, of course, It does have all the functions of a PDA, so its not a "one trick pony" to use a metaphor I dont really care for.

So all in all, its definitely a good little reader, Id say worth considering if youre in 50$ market.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Sorry for bumping up an old thread....

Quote:
I picked up an HP ipaq h1945. Id have preferred if it was a full 320x320 instead of 240x320, but hopefully it wont be that big of a deal. It was 50$ with cheap shipping, so Im not in too deep. Seriously on the shipping side of things, some of those rates are completely ridiculous. I sold an old Budweiser Clydesdale model kit that was three feet long not too long ago, and it cost like 20.00 to ship. The most I could reasonably see an PDA shipping for would be 10.00.

Thanks for the replies.
Can you please tell from where you got your Ipaq h1945, i too am in the look out for a cheap reader with similar thoughts like you had, so other suggestions are also welcome...
TIA....
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eBay would be one good place to look.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Yup got it. I have some doubts, so creating a thread. Thanks for the help...
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
I bought a used iPaq 3630 from eBay for about 50 bucks, made a great bookreader until I upgraded to my Nokia 770.
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote