Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Hi everyone,

I've just submitted another update to Apple with two bug fixes:
1) Series sorting should now work. It sorts by series and then by book-number within the series. If you sort by series, it shows the series name and book-number above the title and author. (As I wrote this message I realised these should be shown on the 'book details' page as well, but I missed that out in what I sent them. Next time...)

2) I've tried to fix the issue with huge libraries disappearing. The root cause was that the database file grew larger than a threshold enforced by iOS, which caused data corruption when it was next opened. The app tried to recover by deleting the database and trying again.

I've reduced by about 50% the amount of space taken by the database, which should help a lot. However, I think we'll still run into that problem for libraries larger than perhaps 15 thousand books.

Unfortunately I don't have a way for people who have already lost their databases to recover them. The best I can suggest is to uninstall the app and then reinstall it. This makes sure that the previous files and any books transferred which are now missing are all cleaned up properly. I'm sorry it's a pain, especially since it takes a while to transfer so many books, but I couldn't think of a better solution. Hopefully this will only affect a small number of users anyway.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #17
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
I've reduced by about 50% the amount of space taken by the database, which should help a lot. However, I think we'll still run into that problem for libraries larger than perhaps 15 thousand books.
Thanks a lot for looking into this! I appreciate the work and your quick response.

I think for now, though, I'll pass on reloading the program and trying it again. Having to cut my collection down to smaller chunks to manage within a tablet program is what I've actually was hoping to avoid. I already load smaller collections into the reader programs themselves.

Using a File Manager is working for me now in that I can carry my whole library and open the files individually, if they're not already in a reading program.

But I'll be keeping an eye out for any changes in the future that may be more of what I'm looking for.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi everyone,

1) Series sorting should now work. It sorts by series and then by book-number within the series. If you sort by series, it shows the series name and book-number above the title and author. (As I wrote this message I realised these should be shown on the 'book details' page as well, but I missed that out in what I sent them. Next time...)

Thank you
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Would it be possible to show always series in the list view (or configuring it)? I miss them (and I don't usually sort by series, so I wouldn't see it).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I needed to search for an author earlier and I had to scroll from the first author, there is no A,B,C etc so I can't jump directly to a single letter. (I was looking for Lovejoy).

Is there any chance a future release could add in the A-Z option under authors, series, tags and publishers please. It does exist for Titles and the 1-5 exist for Rating. Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
smoke2002
smoke2002 doesn't littersmoke2002 doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Just updated to the newest version. Not sure what happened but all cover art has disappeared. Tried deleting a book and transferring it but the cover art does not show. All the covers were there previously.

Edited to add: device is an iPad mini 2 running IOS 10.0.2

Last edited by smoke2002; 11-15-2016 at 02:53 AM. Reason: additional information
smoke2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #22
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I needed to search for an author earlier and I had to scroll from the first author, there is no A,B,C etc so I can't jump directly to a single letter. (I was looking for Lovejoy).
Hi, this already exists in the app. There's a switch called "Group by First Letters" at the bottom of the grouping/filtering drawer. (I assume you've used the grouping drawer based on your comment, but if not: it's opened up by tapping the funnel button at the top left of the main screen).

You can also get a similar behaviour by viewing your books in a list (rather than cover movde) and sorting by authors. There's a small line of letters down the righthand side which lets you jump to that author name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke2002 View Post
Just updated to the newest version. Not sure what happened but all cover art has disappeared.
Very strange! Is there anything unusual about the covers of your books? The main fix in this version was to avoid duplicating the covers in the database, which caused the problem described earlier in this thread.

EDIT: Nevermind the questions below, I've managed to get the same problem to happen. Apparently we handled covers from the content server differently which causes them to be lost. I'll implement a fix as soon as I can.

(A few things: (1) how did you originally transfer your books? and how did you try to transfer this latest one again after updating?

(2) Could you try connecting again as a Wireless Device and see if that fixes anything? Part of the WD connection is that CC and Calibre check again that CC has the correct information about each book, which includes the cover. If this doesn't fix it, could you send me a debug log? It's in the settings menu at the end.)

Last edited by Steve_Haley; 11-15-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #23
smoke2002
smoke2002 doesn't littersmoke2002 doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Thanks for your quick response.
smoke2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, this already exists in the app. There's a switch called "Group by First Letters" at the bottom of the goruping/filtering drawer. (I assume you've used the grouping drawer based on your comment, but if not: it's opened up by tapping the funnel button at the top left of the main screen).

You can also get a similar behaviour by viewing your books in a list (rather than cover movde) and sorting by authors. There's a small line of letters down the righthand side which let you jump to that author name.
Thank you.

Turning on Group by First Letters solved my problem.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
Breinstein
Breinstein began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2
First of all I want say that I am very happy that Calibre Companion is ported to IOS, to me it is like a new iPhone feature you never knew you needed before it was introduced but now that it is introduced you can not imagine how you managed to live without it :-)

I also have a question : Is it possible to have two formats of the same book synced to Calibre Companion? For some of my books I have both the pdf and the epub version in Calibre and I was wondering if I could sync both instead of just 1 format. When I sync now Calibre companies says I have synced my complete library but just the pub versions are synced (if there 2 formats otherwise the pdf version gets synced perfectly when pdf is the only format)
Breinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #26
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinstein View Post
I also have a question : Is it possible to have two formats of the same book synced to Calibre Companion?
It sort of is. When connecting as a "Wireless Device", you have the option of choosing which format to send to CC. You can do this by right clicking on the book(s) and choosing, "Send to device" then "Send specific format". Multiple formats appear as multiple entries in CC's list of books. When using different connection options, you don't have as much control over which format gets sent.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you for including series in the standard list view and details. I have a small bug (I think). I have a column called challenges, which is a tag column. It appears in the group options, but it doesn't show the values neither divides according to it. The another custom series columns I have are working well.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you for including series in the standard list view and details. I have a small bug (I think). I have a column called challenges, which is a tag column. It appears in the group options, but it doesn't show the values neither divides according to it. The another custom series columns I have are working well.
For completeness, is this a "Text column behaves like tags" or a "Column built from other columns, behaves like tags"?

Also, IIRC there was a bug in the past like this one. Have you tried resending a book with values in that column to see if the problem goes away?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Calibre Companion no longer works with my Mac running Sierra. It worked on version 1.01 but not on 1.02 and not on 1.03

This is the error log, i have no idea what it means

Device responded with incorrect information

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 51, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 1324, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 657, in _receive_from_client
ControlError: Device responded with incorrect information

Is this the right place to raise it or does it need to be raised as a bug?

Edited to say i have CC on an ipad mini 4
Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Also the initial sort when opening CC in my ipad is alphabetical order. It won't stay in the order I select, which is Date (calibre). This is a more an irritation rather than my other bug which is a show stopper