Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2022, 12:21 AM   #751
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I recently learned that "fartkontrol" is an actual Danish word. Unfortunately, it actually means "speed check."
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
"Fart" means speed in Norwegian too...
Wait... so what was that famous Keanu Reeves movie titled in Denmark and Norway? The mind boggles!
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:28 AM   #752
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Who are these guys?
They are the French watchmen that repeated taunt king Arthur in his search for the Holy Grail.
Advert
Old 11-04-2022, 04:49 AM   #753
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
TV writers have the same problem. They can't create anything that doesn't have an ongoing giant conspiracy in the background. Silly is the most polite and generous term I could apply.
That's why I stopped watching Enterprise (Star Trek) - as soon as they introduced a shadowy race of aliens behind everything bad I gave up. The same thing ruined (in my opinion) the X Files when they tried to tie everything together.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:08 AM   #754
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
The same thing ruined (in my opinion) the X Files when they tried to tie everything together.
The alien invasion/Consortium arc was there from the beginning (I think the Cigarette-Smoking Man was in the very first episode...). That they went off the rails in the last seasons I agree with.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:29 AM   #755
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The alien invasion/Consortium arc was there from the beginning (I think the Cigarette-Smoking Man was in the very first episode...). That they went off the rails in the last seasons I agree with.
Do you think they (the writers) knew who he was from the beginning?
Advert
Old 11-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #756
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Do you think they (the writers) knew who he was from the beginning?
I think they had a pretty good idea, yes.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #757
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They are the French watchmen that repeated taunt king Arthur in his search for the Holy Grail.
I still laugh every time I think of them using the cattlepult.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #758
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I still laugh every time I think of them using the cattlepult.
Apache
Fetche la vache!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:23 PM   #759
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
on y va
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #760
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3 (had PocketBook Touch Lux and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wait... so what was that famous Keanu Reeves movie titled in Denmark and Norway? The mind boggles!
Boringly enough, "Speed". Mostly, titles of films for grownups aren't translated if the original title is in English.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #761
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Boringly enough, "Speed". Mostly, titles of films for grownups aren't translated if the original title is in English.
Too bad. There would be a brisk business in Norwegian movie posters for college dormitories here if the title were translated.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:57 AM   #762
ownedbycats
Grand Sorcerer
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I was reading a somewhat... poorly written fanfic where the author continually misspelled 'traitors' as 'traders.' Until I figured out what they actually meant, I couldn't figure out what everybody had against shopkeepers.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #763
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I was reading a somewhat... poorly written fanfic where the author continually misspelled 'traitor' as 'trader.' Until I figured out what they actually meant, I couldn't figure out what everybody had against shopkeepers.
Speech to text with an American accent?

Andrew
Old 11-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #764
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Does reading closed captions on TV count? I'm tired of seeing "diffuse" when it should be "defuse." Here's one that might be a bit obscure: seeing "bugalugs" when someone says "buggerlugs" with an English accent.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #765
ownedbycats
Grand Sorcerer
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Does reading closed captions on TV count? I'm tired of seeing "diffuse" when it should be "defuse."
One fanfic I was reading had some characters "diffusing" a nuclear bomb. I wondered if that meant they were actually setting it off.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote