Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2022, 03:39 PM   #1216
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You must be ancient like me. I must dispose of 100s of MSDN CDs, Windows 3.0 inc manuals, Word 2.0a, Wordstar 6.0 and other stuff in the attic and put down proper insulation.

I think all the CP/M stuff went at last clear out.
Well, I think I left Spring Chicken behind some wrinkles ago and yes, we have all that crap too or did. Wordstar, CP/M, damn. You're bringing back some nostalgia, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm old enough to remember AOL CDs that were sent in the mail unrequested. When we first got married, our first apartment, the table in the kitchen wobbled. In the mail came an AOL CD and udter one of the table legs it went and gone was the wobble. Best use for an AOL CD I've ever seen.

OH COME ON, those damned AOL CDs were still coming around well into the 2000's I think. I was always gobsmacked by that, that they just...kept on keeping on.

On the other hand, though, you'd be shocked at how many customers I have that still have, no kidding, AOL, MSN, Hotmail or Yahoo email addies. It always amazes me, what people will do or give up for freebies. I've never had a free email addy in my life and don't plan to start now. Sure, sure, call me paranoid, but I just don't wish to be the product.

Spoiler:
Never forget what Paul Newman said: if you look around the poker table and you can't tell who the sucker is--it's you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #1217
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I had a PC before IBM launched an MS-DOS based computer. What I had was the Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I. It ran on a Z-80 processor.
How funny! I was just thinking of my old Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80, reading this thread! I have fond memories of that machine. Had it a long time, it was still working when I finally gave it away.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #1218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OH COME ON, those damned AOL CDs were still coming around well into the 2000's I think. I was always gobsmacked by that, that they just...kept on keeping on.

On the other hand, though, you'd be shocked at how many customers I have that still have, no kidding, AOL, MSN, Hotmail or Yahoo email addies. It always amazes me, what people will do or give up for freebies. I've never had a free email addy in my life and don't plan to start now. Sure, sure, call me paranoid, but I just don't wish to be the product.

Spoiler:
Never forget what Paul Newman said: if you look around the poker table and you can't tell who the sucker is--it's you.

Hitch
I have two free email addresses. GMail and Outlook and they work well. AOL, MSN, Hotmail, and Yahoo are lousy. I did this so if I ever change ISP, I would not have to change my email which is a right pain in the ass. I've changed ISP a number of times. SO it's just easier not to use the ISP email address.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #1219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
How funny! I was just thinking of my old Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80, reading this thread! I have fond memories of that machine. Had it a long time, it was still working when I finally gave it away.
The TRS-80 did work well. I liked it. But eventually it was time to move on.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:23 PM   #1220
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I have two free email addresses. GMail and Outlook and they work well. AOL, MSN, Hotmail, and Yahoo are lousy. I did this so if I ever change ISP, I would not have to change my email which is a right pain in the ass. I've changed ISP a number of times. SO it's just easier not to use the ISP email address.
But Hotmail is Outlook. Microsoft bought them out some years ago.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #1221
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Heh. I was a total technophobe in my youth. I saw a computer for the first time in 1996, and got one of my own as terribly late as in 2009, at the ripe old age of 37. I just didn't care about that stuff in my twenties or even in my early to mid-thirties, and I was a die-hard paper book fan until 2011. Then I made a 180⁰ turn toward ebooks and never looked back.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-26-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:50 PM   #1222
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
PC = Personal computer ! Why do all the crap heads assume it runs windows V(X) as OS ?
First, I don't think of myself as a crap head. And everyone thinks PC=Windows because Apple spent millions telling us they are the same.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:59 PM   #1223
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
First, I don't think of myself as a crap head. And everyone thinks PC=Windows because Apple spent millions telling us they are the same.
tbh, the "I'm a Mac" guy was kinda obnoxious.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:00 AM   #1224
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
tbh, the "I'm a Mac" guy was kinda obnoxious.
Both actors are far better outside of the ads. Justin Long "I'm a Mac" and John Hodgman "I'm a PC" (and an author!).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:37 AM   #1225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
But Hotmail is Outlook. Microsoft bought them out some years ago.
Hotmail is not Outlook. Hotmail is gone now, but there was a time when MS ran both.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:39 AM   #1226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Old 11-27-2022, 04:48 AM   #1227
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Hotmail is not Outlook. Hotmail is gone now, but there was a time when MS ran both.
I'm pretty sure that "both" was just a brief beta period before it was folded into Outlook. A family member still has an email address with the Hotmail domain.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-27-2022 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #1228
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hell, tell yourself whatever you want, but we email customers at .hotmail, .aol, .yahoo and .msn, etc. every damn day. My customers sure don't know that they've been changed.

And all four of them are nightmares. Don't get me started about .comcast.

Hitch
Old 11-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #1229
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hell, tell yourself whatever you want, but we email customers at .hotmail, .aol, .yahoo and .msn, etc. every damn day. My customers sure don't know that they've been changed.

And all four of them are nightmares. Don't get me started about .comcast.

Hitch
Yes, they have a Hotmail address, but you cannot get a new Hotmail address. It's Outlook now for new addresses.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #1230
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, they have a Hotmail address, but you cannot get a new Hotmail address. It's Outlook now for new addresses.
Dunno, but all I can say is, when we see those email addies, we add a premium to our quotes. Not being mean, but invariably, we have a TON more unpaid tech support to provide than we do to those that have branched out a bit to other email addresses, paid email addresses (gasp! what a shocking idea!) and all that.

Hitch