Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #91
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
One of the most important aspects of an e-writer like the Scribe is how easy it is to transfer files to a computer or tablet. Remarkable has done this well, and Kobo (Sage, Elipsa and Forma) allow editing an ebook or file in one's Dropbox folder, which is even better. Apparently, Scribe files will be transferred through the Kindle app or through email. To me, this sounds very problematic. If I have a pdf that I have edited on the Scribe, I would want to be able to put it on my computer, not just read it in the Kindle app or have to extract it from an email. In fact, will it even edit pdf files? We'll see what Amazon does, but I'm not holding my breath.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #92
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The reMarkable is the worst! No USB MS or MTP. It only networks on USB or WiFi. Kindle, Nook, Kobo, all Android (phones, tablets, eink) and even Apple iOS are better than remarkable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #93
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are reports (credible in the opinion of some) that Scribe will be running some sort of FireOS, and therefore some version of Kindle for Android, which does support Print Replica.

And of course FireOS would be a good platform for developing apps for Scribe (like the apps we already know of that come with Scribe already).
That was a false rumor. On the Kindle Chronicles podcast episode TKC 700 Day 1 in Seattle at about the 47 minute mark Kevin Keith, VP of Amazon Devices states that the Scribe does not run Fire OS and that it uses the same OS as previous Kindle devices.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That was a false rumor. On the Kindle Chronicles podcast episode TKC 700 Day 1 in Seattle at about the 47 minute mark Kevin Keith, VP of Amazon Devices states that the Scribe does not run Fire OS and that it uses the same OS as previous Kindle devices.
To be clear, I never found the rumor credible. When I learned he was going to Seattle, I wrote to Len and suggested he ask about it.

I was hoping he'd also ask if they were thinking about supporting external keyboards for Scribe, but if he did, it didn't wind up in the published interview.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-12-2022 at 11:54 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #95
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Just finished hearing the podcast and excited to see he's video review next week.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #96
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
To be clear, I never found the rumor credible. When I learned he was going to Seattle, I wrote to Len and suggested he ask about it.

I was hoping he'd also ask if they were thinking about supporting external keyboards for Scribe, but if he did, it didn't wind up in the published interview.
Isn't there some new rumor, from Good-E-Reader or the like that the Chinese have shut down the plants, yadda and that we all shan't see our Scribes before 2023 or thereabouts? Anybody paying attention to that one? Or am I hallucinating?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are certainly in need of medication if you take any goodyreader comment without other confirmation.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #98
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You are certainly in need of medication if you take any goodyreader comment without other confirmation.
I don't think I said that, did I?

Hitch
Old 11-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #99
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I don't think I said that, did I?

Hitch
No you didn't.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:48 AM   #100
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
No you didn't.
Apache
We'll all see. Delivery times be here soon, so they claim.

I don't know why I'm jazzed for this. To say I was underwhelmed iwth the Boox would be the understatement of the year, even for "only" marking up PDFs, which is why I got it in the first place and then promptly sat it on the shelf, sticking to Acrobat+whatever for that job on a desktop. (sigh).

Yes,99% I bought it b/c it will be in my line of work soon but still.

Hitch
Old 11-13-2022, 06:15 AM   #101
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

To say I was underwhelmed iwth the Boox would be the understatement of the year, even for "only" marking up PDFs, which is why I got it in the first place and then promptly sat it on the shelf, sticking to Acrobat+whatever for that job on a desktop. (sigh).

Yes,99% I bought it b/c it will be in my line of work soon but still.
Very handy.

I’ll wait and see is it any better than my Elipsa for proofing PDFs. Which is purely format etc as content is 100% proofed on epub version before reformatting copy of source for PDF export. But I've hardly used Elipsa since getting a better 23″ 4K HDR LG monitor.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #102
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
Now that Kindles all have Bluetooth for sound, I wish they would also allow the use of a Bluetooth page turner. I like to sit outside reading and once it becomes chilly, a page turned in my pocket is preferable to either buttons or tapping.
Wow, I can't believe how closed system that is! I have never even considered buying any Kindle.

Anybody who has any experience with portable devices realizes that users are very different in their needs, usages and preferences.

Me? I like an ereader without buttons, but I use a custom clicker for reading. I can put my ereader on a desk a distance away and leave my hands in a comfortable position. At night, in bed when it's cold I can keep my hands under the covers. My ereader is on a bendable arm over the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt_case2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	197804  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #103
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I ordered on and got the charger in October. Seems like a weird tactic, as it can lead to people losing the device they need to charge the reader.
Latest update I got from Amazon was scheduled delivery beginning Dec. 22. I hope the grayscale is good enough to study b&w photos inside an ebook. It appears to have 4-bit grayscale.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:25 AM   #104
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Noticed this popping up on the Amazon kindle ebooks page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 08.20.09.png
Views:	120
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	197900  
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #105
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I really don't like the term 'sticky notes'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote