Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Woot Selling Refurb Paperwhites Cheap

Woot (a division of Amazon) is selling refurbed 2nd gen Paperwhites for $49.99 USD and 3g versions for $64.99 USD. These are with offers.

Wifi only:
https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...i-6-e-reader-1

WIFI ONLY APPEARS SOLD OUT

3G version:
https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...i-6-e-reader-8

"The 3G version now has a blinking "buy" button, which indicates they are close to being out of stock. If you are undecided, it's time to decide!"

I decided that I don't need 3g so I bought the WiFi only. With tax and shipping the price came to $58.43 USD. Hope i don't regret it!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Will this be your first eink Kindle?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Will this be your first eink Kindle?
Yes, I've been using Sony PRS 300 & 350 and an android tablet, with an occasional assist from my Samsung S5 smartphone.

I figured this would be a way to get a 'taste' of the mid tier Kindle devices without spending much money.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The screen resolution isn't as high on the second gen Paperwhites as it is on the third. But, to me at least, the change in resolution on an e-ink screen isn't as drastic as it is on a tablet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Does anyone know if the cases and accessories are the same between 2nd Gen and 3rd? Amazon doesn't talk about the 'generation' when describing accessories, but the years that the devices were sold in, it's pretty confusing.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-18-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The screen resolution isn't as high on the second gen Paperwhites as it is on the third. But, to me at least, the change in resolution on an e-ink screen isn't as drastic as it is on a tablet.
My understanding is 212 PPI versus 300 PPI. I was led to believe that 3rd gen also has more RAM. The RAM thing won't bother me, I tend to rely on Amazon and Box.com to store files like this anyway, and I never have more than a few weeks of reading material in my devices.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
My understanding is 212 PPI versus 300 PPI. I was led to believe that 3rd gen also has more RAM. The RAM thing won't bother me, I tend to rely on Amazon and Box.com to store files like this anyway, and I never have more than a few weeks of reading material in my devices.
The PW being sold by Woot has 2GB where the PW3 has 4GB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't know that it has more RAM, but the PW3 does have more storage (4GB vs 2GB).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

WiFi Only model appears sold out.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
They are the same size, use same chargers and cases.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Have you received it, yet?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Have you received it, yet?
Yes! I received it in 2.5 days, Woot said it would come with the box marked as "Used - Good", but it came marked as "Refurbished". Not sure what the practical difference is. Warranty is a 90 day Woot warranty. But since Woot is a division of Amazon, who knows how Amazon sees it.

The device looks brand new, and came about 60% charged. Build quality is high, text is clear and sharp, and the graphics quality is high. I would estimate it can display at least 16 different shades of gray.

The only thing I don't like is that my tablet with the Kindle app, allowed me to delete old books purchased from Amazon. EVERY book I ever bought from Amazon was downloaded during the sync. There are a LOT of books I don't want on my new PW, I can't figure out how to get rid of them. I can delete the ones I loaded from Calibre, but not the original Kindle books! Is this common? What happens when the thing gets full?

Overall, I am very pleased, and have ordered a fitted case for it.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-22-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Yes! I received it in 2.5 days, Woot said it would come with the box marked as "Used - Good", but it came marked as "Refurbished". Not sure what the practical difference is. Warranty is a 90 day Woot warranty. But since Woot is a division of Amazon, who knows how Amazon sees it.

The device looks brand new, and came about 60% charged. Build quality is high, text is clear and sharp, and the graphics quality is high. I would estimate it can display at least 16 different shades of gray.

The only thing I don't like is that my tablet with the Kindle app, allowed me to delete old books purchased from Amazon. EVERY book I ever bought from Amazon was downloaded during the sync. There are a LOT of books I don't want on my new PW, I can't figure out how to get rid of them. I can delete the ones I loaded from Calibre, but not the original Kindle books! Is this common? What happens when the thing gets full?

Overall, I am very pleased, and have ordered a fitted case for it.
> EVERY book I ever bought from Amazon was downloaded during the sync.

Huh?

When people have asked for this as a feature, they were reminded that there might not be room.

How much space of the 2 GB is left?

There is now a feature in Manage Your Content & Devices which lets you check what is on a device and maybe remove as required.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
> EVERY book I ever bought from Amazon was downloaded during the sync.

Huh?

When people have asked for this as a feature, they were reminded that there might not be room.

How much space of the 2 GB is left?

There is now a feature in Manage Your Content & Devices which lets you check what is on a device and maybe remove as required.
Well, if it isn't all books (roughly 512 books), it's darned close. I'm confused now, Space available says 3,076 MB free (in device info), if I divide that number by 1024, that should give me the number of gigabytes, right? That comes to roughly 3.004 GB, which doesn't make sense for a PW2.

Have I done the math correctly? The device info window doesn't specifically say what generation I have, is there someplace else that specifies that?

I will check to see if the Kindle support pages on the website allows me to manage the books separately from the device itself, and if I can figure out what I have. But really, I can't believe Woot would send me the wrong device.

Update: As far as book deletion goes, I just figured out that I was looking at the "ALL" option and not the downloaded option. In my mind, "All" is an odd default selection.
One mystery solved. But all Amazon device management page says, is that I own a Paperwhite, no mention of the generation.

Update 2: I googled the conversion from MB to GB and found a page that does the conversion, and it gave me the same results as my own math. 3.004 GB. I'm beginning to believe this device is a PW3. Maybe this is why I'm so pleased with the device.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well, if it isn't all books (roughly 512 books), it's darned close. I'm confused now, Space available says 3,076 MB free (in device info), if I divide that number by 1024, that should give me the number of gigabytes, right? That comes to roughly 3.004 GB, which doesn't make sense for a PW2.

Have I done the math correctly? The device info window doesn't specifically say what generation I have, is there someplace else that specifies that?

I will check to see if the Kindle support pages on the website allows me to manage the books separately from the device itself, and if I can figure out what I have. But really, I can't believe Woot would send me the wrong device.

Update: As far as book deletion goes, I just figured out that I was looking at the "ALL" option and not the downloaded option. In my mind, "All" is an odd default selection.
One mystery solved. But all Amazon device management page says, is that I own a Paperwhite, no mention of the generation.

Update 2: I googled the conversion from MB to GB and found a page that does the conversion, and it gave me the same results as my own math. 3.004 GB. I'm beginning to believe this device is a PW3. Maybe this is why I'm so pleased with the device.
All is the cloud, downloaded is the device. I guess it defaults to all so you can see which ones you want to download.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote