Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've been listening to audiobooks for around 35 years or so, starting with books on cassette tapes. It was a great way to make the workday go faster when doing repair or construction work at a workbench. Audiobooks are a very different experience, but can be very rewarding, and with local lending libraries and online sites like Librivox, can be very inexpensive. You may want to check out MobileRead's new Everything Audiobooks forum for recommendations.
I started reading "Books on Tape" in the 1980's when I had a long drive to work, or an even longer bicycle ride. Really helped to pass the time and make even a slow, bumper to bumper, commute tolerable. With a good narrator, an audio book can be an excellent experience. And, as Tom says, very different from reading. I think it must hit a different part of the brain. I know I can "read" an audio book that I have read conventionally and enjoy it every bit as much as if I'd never read it before.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I started reading "Books on Tape" in the 1980's....
Yep! And Blackstone Audio, also.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-15-2014 at 01:58 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Thanks for the tips on audiobooks. I'll definitely check them out
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #49
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredScribe View Post
Thanks for the tips on audiobooks. I'll definitely check them out
Make sure to check out the Free/Bargain Audiobooks thread to save money on Audible or other memberships!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #50
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
2015 Reading - The Daria Morgendorffer Reading List

I am going to try and get through the rest of the books on the list that I've not gotten to yet. I cannot imagine having read many, if not most, of these books as a high-schooler. If teenage Daria Morgendorffer can do it, doctorate-toting me can now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daria Morgendorffer Reading Challenge.png
Views:	395
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	132584  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #51
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
No 2015 challenge for me. Instead I'll enjoy pressure-free reading.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #52
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post

I am going to try and get through the rest of the books on the list that I've not gotten to yet. I cannot imagine having read many, if not most, of these books as a high-schooler. If teenage Daria Morgendorffer can do it, doctorate-toting me can now.
I was and still am a fan of Daria, but that list is too ascetic to me. The toughest looking book in the list is Iliad. I know I'll never complete it. I rely too much on prose to entertain me. That's why I shy away from Shakespeare as well. I wish you well with your reading challenge.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #53
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I was and still am a fan of Daria, but that list is too ascetic to me. The toughest looking book in the list is Iliad. I know I'll never complete it. I rely too much on prose to entertain me. That's why I shy away from Shakespeare as well. I wish you well with your reading challenge.
Ditto! I tried the Iliad a year or two ago, and got bogged down instantly just following the hundreds of names in the first few pages. Plus, like Ahab himself, I have a single minded focus when it comes to Moby Dick. However, instead of hunting him, I'm avoiding him - like the plague.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #54
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm thinking of adding a short story component to my challenges. I attempted to read a story a day for a while during the summer, and it got me through several collections without being too onerous. I don't normally record short stories separately unless they are separate items I have downloaded, but that's fixable, and I think I could easily go for a target of 200 shorter works.

I'll have to think about it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #55
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Well, I read somewhere around 64 titles last year, so I guess that will be my target for 2015.

I have a class in the Spring semester, which will hamper my efforts somewhat. That will get me doing at least a little writing, though, which is a good thing. I haven't done any writing all year, and I have half a book to finish fleshing out.

I tend to switch genres with every book, but I suppose I could try branching out a little and hit some of those I generally ignore, such as 'horror' and romance (okay, maybe not romance, unless it's really good literature).

Obviously, I read too much t to be spending a lot of money on my books, so I will continue to stick to the mostly free or sub-$2 ebooks and Goodwill paper pubs.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post

I could never do it. Some of those books would make me want to stop reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #57
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Well, I didn't manage to read 45 books this year but came close enough to try again next year!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #58
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage

I'm participating in a 52 book reading challenge from goodreads.com.

WEEKS & TOPICS
1. a book with more than 500 pages
2. a romance
3. a book that became a movie
4. a book published this year
5. a book with a number in the title
6. a book written by someone under 30
7. a book with nonhuman characters
8. a funny book
9. a book by a female author
10. a mystery or thriller
11. a book with a one-word title
12. a book of short stories
13. a book set in a different country
14. a nonfiction book
15. a popular author's first book
16. a book from your favorite author that you haven't read yet
17. a book a friend recommended
18. a Pulitzer-prize winning book
19. a book based on a true story
20. a book at the bottom of your to read list
21. a book your mom loves
22. a book that scares you
23. a book more than 100 years old
24. a book based entirely on its cover
25. a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't
26. a memoir
27. a book you can finish in a day
28. a book with antonyms in the title
29. a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
30. a book that came out the year you were born
31. a book with bad reviews
32. a trilogy (the first)
33. a trilogy (the second)
34. a trilogy (the third)
35. a book from your childhood
36. a book with a love triangle
37. a book set in the future
38. a book set in high school
39. a book with a color in the title
40. a book that made/makes you cry
41. a book with magic
42. a graphic novel
43. a book by an author you've never read before
44. a book you own but have never read
45. a book that takes place in your hometown
46. a book that was originally written in another language
47. a book set during Christmas (or similar holiday)
48. a book written by an author with your same initials
49. a play
50. a banned book
51. a book based on OR turned into a tv show
52. a book you started but never finished

Here is the link to this group:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...ding-challenge
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #59
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmac473 View Post
45. a book that takes place in your hometown
Interesting challenge, but there are a few that could be VERY difficult, like the one above for some of us.

And, WELCOME to MR!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 AM   #60
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Red face Because I can't leave well enough alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My reading goals for 2015 are centered around a genre-centric group I joined on Goodreads. We concentrate mainly on Speculative Fiction, which includes: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, and their many sub genres. We also added Young Adult as its own category.
One of the moderators there came up with an ongoing series challenge, that I, as an obsessive series starter really wanted to try in order to not only motivate myself to finish the series that I've already started, but also rediscover and sort through the hundreds of first books of "new to me" series sitting on my TBR list.

Since I fall into the same trap of becoming overwhelmed from biting off more than I can chew, every single year, I've set my challenge up in steps this time:

Main Goal: Have a Much Better Year Than 2014!
(I will not be participating in Buddy Reads or Mini-Challenge Reads this year)

Group Reads:
Primary - One Group Selection from Each Month: [00 / 12]
Secondary - Additional Group Selections from Each Month: [00]
Bonus - Unread Group Selections from 2014: [00]

Series Challenge::
Primary - One Series Book Every Month: [00 / 12]
Secondary - Additional Series Books Every Month: [00]
Bonus - Complete a Minimum of 3 Series by the End of the Year: [00 / 03]

As usual, I've gone from K.I.S.S to ridiculous and elaborate. I just can't seem to help myself! So my initial goals shown above have turned into this:

Attachment 133152
(Click image to enlarge or click link [the word this] to see the actual post)
I've upped the ante (again) on my personal challenge. One of these days I really will learn my lesson, I'm sure.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote