Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #181
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Will attempt a backup, extraction, drm removal and conversion for my PRS-505 later after work

By the way I'm all for staying within the law. But it's ridiculous the hoops you have to jump even though you WANT to pay for content!
I tried this. There appears to be a problem generating the PID from the iPod's serial number listed in the amazon account. MobleDeDRM see's it as a valid PID, but doesn't think it's the correct one for the book.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #182
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I tried this. There appears to be a problem generating the PID from the iPod's serial number listed in the amazon account. MobleDeDRM see's it as a valid PID, but doesn't think it's the correct one for the book.

Look at post 127
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=127
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #183
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
W00t! That did it! I'm now reading an Amazon purchased Kindle book on my DR1000!
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #184
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Ummmm...you've kind of missed the point of this thread? The one entitled "Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store"?
you'll have to skip ahead to post #176 (ahead of mine, behind this one)

unless you have a jailbroken iTouch/Iphone device, as far as i know, the only way for my soft-Kindle to read my non-amazon mobipocket files is ... with another reader.

it might be possible to set up the ipod area with a drive-space, and copy mobi files there, and they'll get picked up (should try it)... i talked to amazon customer support, and they indicated the soft-Kindle was for Amazon purchased content only to the best of their knowledge, at this time, thank you for calling Amazon and choosing Kindle...

so, not entirely off topic if you want to read your books on your iTouch/iPhone, as the soft-Kindle has limits/flaws.

exreader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #185
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
it might be possible to set up the ipod area with a drive-space, and copy mobi files there, and they'll get picked up (should try it)... i talked to amazon customer support, and they indicated the soft-Kindle was for Amazon purchased content only to the best of their knowledge, at this time, thank you for calling Amazon and choosing Kindle...
I have been successful in using calibre to convert my Kindle ebooks to epub and then uploading them to bookworm. Stanza will access them from bookworm
http://bookworm.oreilly.com/about/

This is nice because you can download them to your iTouch/iPhone as you want them.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 03-05-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #186
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, not getting hot or cold from this one. I still don't see what is so special about that Apple phone or Apple Mp3 player that they should be given a special treatment.
My guess: I think the special treatment comes from the iPhone and iPod being able to be identified uniquely by serial number. This way, Amazon can track their eBooks and have them sent to specific devices as opposed to any computer. As far as I can tell, Amazon Kindle Store still does not allow downloading of eBooks to the computer.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #187
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I have been successful in using calibre to convert my Kindle ebooks to epub and then uploading them to bookworm. Stanza will access them from bookworm
http://bookworm.oreilly.com/about/

This is nice because you can download them to your iTouch/iPhone as you want them.
cool.. that's the first I have hear of bookworm. So, stanza downloads them from bookworm.. you don't via them with the web browser.

Was this ever mentioned on the news and commentary section?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #188
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
trouble obtaining proper PID for iphone

OK, so I have made the changes to the kindlepid.py script, obtained my serial number from Amazon, run the script, obtained a PID, downloaded a book to my iphone, retrieved it with iphone backup extractor, and tried MobiDeDrm on it. The script has run fine before (I have used it for other purchased books so I can read them on my Sony- with my mobipocket PID), but this time, MobiDeDrm gives an error :invalid encryption type:0.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have an iphone 3G if that makes any difference.
I have also tried lower case letters and upper case letter in the serial number, and neither resulting PID works.

Thanks in advance for any help. All I want to be able to do is to buy books from Amazon to read for myself! Why is it so hard?
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #189
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookLoverToo View Post

Thanks in advance for any help. All I want to be able to do is to buy books from Amazon to read for myself! Why is it so hard?
Read post 127 of this thread.

BOb
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #190
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have already made those changes, and am still not having any luck.
Thanks again.
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #191
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
OK, so I have made the changes to the kindlepid.py script, obtained my serial number from Amazon, run the script, obtained a PID, downloaded a book to my iphone, retrieved it with iphone backup extractor, and tried MobiDeDrm on it. The script has run fine before (I have used it for other purchased books so I can read them on my Sony- with my mobipocket PID), but this time, MobiDeDrm gives an error :invalid encryption type:0.
Sounds like the book is unencrypted. Try just renaming it to .mobi.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #192
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?

I have an iphone 3G if that makes any difference.
I have also tried lower case letters and upper case letter in the serial number, and neither resulting PID works.

Try opening the Kindle book in a text editor, and see if the first three characters are "TPZ". If they are, it means the book is a Topaz <sp?> book and can't be decrypted at present. While unfortunately you found one of them, from what I've read here and in other places, these are relatively rare.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #193
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I've gotten that error with mobidedrm it's been because either the book was not drmed in the first place or because it was topaz format.

cheers
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #194
Leep
Guru

Quote:
cool.. that's the first I have hear of bookworm. So, stanza downloads them from bookworm.. you don't via them with the web browser.

Was this ever mentioned on the news and commentary section?
Here are the instructions from the Stanza site that I used:
2. Go to http://bookworm.threepress.org/, and create an account for yourself.
3. Upload your books to your new account at http://bookworm.threepress.org/.
4. On your iPhone: launch Safari.
5. Go to http://bookworm.threepress.org/ in Safari on your iPhone and sign in.
6. Select the arrow button under Read in Stanza.
7. This will launch Stanza in the Direct Downloads screen. Your book will appear, though it will have a long name with numbers with a URL underneath. Don't worry -- it really is your book.
8. Tap on your book. If Stanza asks you whether you want to download the book, tap Download. The book will open, and it will appear in the categories on the main Library page.

So, yes you do set it up through safari, but then books are all accessed through Stanza

cheers
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #195
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
So, yes you do set it up through safari, but then books are all accessed through Stanza

cheers
Cool. So it does d/l the book and you can read it if you go off line?

BOb

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle