Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps worth noting, though, that you don't need a mobile phone. You can send an SMS to a landline (in the U.K., at least) and it'll speak it to you. Two-factor authentication is a very good idea, from a security perspective.
that is sort of true - i have disabled it for our landline though, as incoming texts are charged for even if unsolicited spam. & we were getting billed occasionally.
our phone is from Virgin Media but BT handle the SMS forwarding , I believe. I had to call BT to opt out.

I have wi-fi tablets but they cannot receive or send SMS. I Like it that way, it's a whole class of malware I don't have to worry about.

Amazon' TFA is not really secure at all, because you can tick an option when logged in, saying don't bother to ask in future

the general trend towards you cannot use our online banking unless you can receive SMS codes whenever you need to do anything, is annoying.

my bank issues a secure key generator gizmo, which suits me.
My wife's bank faffs about with codes sent to browser that you then have to speak out loud to a robot who calls you on the phone, and that fails if you install certain pop up or ad blockers. And saying "code what code, I can't see a ***** code to the robot does not help !

meanwhile back to amazon and how the family music plan shared payment thing works, I now have 3 contradictory answers from amazon, to what happens if my daughter joins the family plan, via her own fire tablet, registered to her own account, and then tries to buy music, or tries to use the shared card for physical goods. I'm not sure they understand their own fairly new product .

thay are saying that if I invited you say as "family" you could join, and you could do that even on your own amazon device, registered to your own account, and that you then can " see" and have some ( undefined) access to the shared payment card that bought the familty subscription, but if you then buy some music via 1 click on your device, who pays & who is the owner...
It's messy. if you are buying and owning it, then why do we need this shared payment method thing at all ?

Last edited by stumped; 06-23-2017 at 05:46 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #17
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Perhaps worth noting, though, that you don't need a mobile phone. You can send an SMS to a landline (in the U.K., at least) and it'll speak it to you. Two-factor authentication is a very good idea, from a security perspective.
Yeah, that's what BT told us. It turns out it doesn't work on all landlines and BT has no idea why. (This is a fairly unusual landline, old a full, old exchange, DACSed, and in the middle of a forest.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Yeah, that's what BT told us. It turns out it doesn't work on all landlines and BT has no idea why. (This is a fairly unusual landline, old a full, old exchange, DACSed, and in the middle of a forest.)
Is there a witch and a gingerbread house involved somewhere, too?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Is there a witch and a gingerbread house involved somewhere, too?
No, but the house was once occupied by a lumberjack (when it was built, in the 1920s).

When aged about four my niece actually taste-tested to see if the house was made of gingerbread. Her conclusion: "ugh, no". I don't think gingerbread would make a very good building material in Yorkshire, or anywhere else in the UK: it just rains too much.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
When aged about four my niece actually taste-tested to see if the house was made of gingerbread. Her conclusion: "ugh, no". I don't think gingerbread would make a very good building material in Yorkshire, or anywhere else in the UK: it just rains too much.
Agreed. I guess that's why only witches tend to live in gingerbread houses: they have the means to make them rain-resistant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
That doesn't work in the US...at least not on my landline.

I don't object to two-factor authentication, but I do object to forcing the use of a cell phone. As others have said, cell phones don't work everywhere, and they are easily lost/broken. If you can't get your money out without your cell phone, but you need the money in order to buy a new cell phone, what do you do?

A company I do work with is dealing with an issue right now with a business paypal account. The person who set up the account is no longer with the company, and she set the cell phone number as her company phone. When she left the company, she returned the phone, and, as is policy, the phone number was cancelled and the phone given to a different employee with a new number.

We are trying to change the bank account that the money goes into, and unfortunately, in order to do so, we have to input a code that is sent to a mobile number that we no longer have. We have tried to call paypal, and so far no luck. This has been going on for 2 weeks now.

So yeah...you can keep your "cell phone as authenticator", thank you very much.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
- - - -
the general trend towards you cannot use our online banking unless you can receive SMS codes whenever you need to do anything, is annoying.
- - - -
Just one aspect of the "you must own a cell phone to deal with us" trend.
I was about to post an example but it would have been too
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have Always used 1-click & I used it with out any type of Credit or Debit card.... got Gift cards instead.

OP I suggest since you cant seem to handle you child having different tastes in Music than you & you refuse to support his Rap. Take him Off the account. So Sad that you except what the others like & cover their costs.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just one aspect of the "you must own a cell phone to deal with us" trend.
I was about to post an example but it would have been too
I cant even get my Banks Apps My Amazon Cell Phone. Nor Best Buy Nor Walmart Nor any of the dozen or so apps stores demand you need now a days
Old 06-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I cant even get my Banks Apps My Amazon Cell Phone. Nor Best Buy Nor Walmart Nor any of the dozen or so apps stores demand you need now a days
It's a security issue. It wouldn't be wise to use an outdated banking app, so they protect you from doing so.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Let me guess, older inexpensive smartphone. Oops reread and answered that one. It isn't just the Fire phone. I can't get Best Buy or Walmart apps either. What do you mean the stores demand it?
Or on Walmart are you talking about that stupid price match thing?
1. It seemed on that one, every time I had a bunch of brand name stuff the receipt would be pretty much unreadable.
2. It also appeared they didn't check all the stores.
3. Then they updated the APP and now I can't get it.
I think over the several months I tried it, usually entering the receipts at home on the website. I earned a grand total of either $1.68 or $3.28.

Oh remind me one of these days to tell you about a chain of grocery stores that make Amazon and Walmart look fabulous.

Now why does one need a Best Buy app?
Last time I bought something there, I just used the website for price match.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recently, at a big name store that shall remain anonymous here -
Cashier: That will be $16.87 please.

(Looking at the litter of surrounding electronic point-of-sale equipment; pulls out wallet, removes small cut sheets of engraved papers - )

Me, while trying to jam a $20 bill into the chip reader card slot: Can you tell my how to use this stuff?

Sometimes it can be a heck of a lot of fun, being a 'typical, technically senile' senior citizen.

Last edited by knc1; 06-23-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Apps ...cause I getting Too Old to remember which store had the Best Deal for something... Not little items mind But Rarely purchased Big Items. Example: ended up buying a carpet Shampooer at Walmart cause it was suppose to been lowest on Thanksgiving WRONG Turn out the shampooer was Cheaper by $20 at Best Buy Sale I just couldn't remember which store had the lower price
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Apps ...cause I getting Too Old to remember which store had the Best Deal for something... Not little items mind But Rarely purchased Big Items. Example: ended up buying a carpet Shampooer at Walmart cause it was suppose to been lowest on Thanksgiving WRONG Turn out the shampooer was Cheaper by $20 at Best Buy Sale I just couldn't remember which store had the lower price
I don't think it is age. I think it is the big box stores play ping pong pricing. One day , Walmart is cheaper, the next day Best Buy.

I tend to look up prices while at the grocery stores. It saves a bit.

Can I make a suggestion since our phones don't do those apps?
If you can bookmark both sites in your browser.
Other hint: if you need a price, in the search bar type the product then price
Example: Bissell Vacuum Cleaner Price.

That pulled up Walmart, Target, Best Buy and Amazon.
It does help with a brand name but not necessary.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Ended up buying a carpet Shampooer at Walmart cause it was suppose to been lowest on Thanksgiving WRONG Turn out the shampooer was Cheaper by $20 at Best Buy Sale I just couldn't remember which store had the lower price
You shouldn't have to remember in the case of those two stores.
They have both had a policy of "price match guarantee" for as long as I can recall (Decades in this case).