Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
PW-3 lights visible

If I look at the bottom edge of the screen from a low angle, I can see the four lights. Is this normal?
I also see a slight shadow between them at the bottom when looking flat on.

If it's not normal, as it's still under warranty, would it qualify for replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-lights.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	157589  
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's entirely normal. Do you intend to read while looking at your screen from that angle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The LEDs aren't backlighting the screen. They are front lighting the screen so they have to be visible at some point if they're in a place to shine onto the front of the screen.

I couldn't see the light front-lighting the screen on my Kindle Keyboard but that's because it was a Petzl headlamp on an elastic strap around my head. I prefer the Paperwhite.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it's entirely normal. Do you intend to read while looking at your screen from that angle?
Oh, what an hilarious putdown.

Of course not.
The issue is the variation in brightness on the bottom margin.
I thought the cause might be some misalignment of the screen/cover/lights, which is easier to demonstrate.

Since I can't see any lights on the other edges, I thought that was odd.

So I looked for a teardown, found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phO4QkHWsVE
And that shows there are no other lights; just along the bottom.

OK, so it's "normal".
I'll just have to try not to notice the shadows.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That is normal.

The Paperwhites (all three of the generations) only have the four bottom, leds.
It is the other, newer, models that have more than four and on edges other than (or in addition to) the bottom edge.
Unless you count the "Kindle Basic" models, which do not have any lighting.

= = = =

If you think HarryT's response was a bit snarky -
You don't even what to think about what I might have written before my first cup of coffee for the day.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Oh, what an hilarious putdown.
It wasn't a putdown; it was a question. I was curious why the presence of lights that you can't see when you use the device normally would be a concern to you. The title "PW-3 lights are visible" has the obvious response "they're only visible if you hold the reader at a very strange angle!"

Quote:
The issue is the variation in brightness on the bottom margin.
I thought the cause might be some misalignment of the screen/cover/lights, which is easier to demonstrate.
Faint shadow cones at the bottom of the screen are entirely normal. They are normally only visible at high brightness settings, and rarely impinge on the area of the screen that you read on. If you can see the shadow cones, you perhaps have the light set on too high a setting. The light shouldn't be so high that the screen appears to be "shining".

Last edited by HarryT; 06-28-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is normal.

The Paperwhites (all three of the generations) only have the four bottom, leds.
It is the other, newer, models that have more than four and on edges other than (or in addition to) the bottom edge.
Indeed. Some people dislike the Oasis on the grounds that its lights are along the right side of the screen rather than the bottom, because they find shadow cones at the right of the screen to be more distracting than at the bottom.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
It wasn't a putdown; it was a question. I was curious why the presence of lights that you can't see when you use the device normally would be a concern to you. The title "PW-3 lights are visible" has the obvious response "they're only visible if you hold the reader at a very strange angle!"
Of course it was a putdown.
Maybe you could have read more than the title before giving the "obvious response".

I said in my post that the visible light bulbs was not the only issue. When I noticed the uneven light at the bottom I looked for a reason and saw the lights on that edge only and that was something that was obvious, where slight variations in brightness are much less definite and hard to demonstrate. So that's why I lead with that.

Since this is the first actual Kindle I've had in my hands, I thought I'd ask other people who had them if this was normal. I have no other way to tell.

I had no idea that these were called "shadow cones". You can't find something if you don't know what people call it.

So, snark aside, it seems that the uneven lighting close to the lights is "normal', so I will just have to live with it.

Quote:
If you can see the shadow cones, you perhaps have the light set on too high a setting. The light shouldn't be so high that the screen appears to be "shining".
Normally I have it on 11 or 12. So, no.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-28-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Normally I have it on 11 or 12. So, no.
Is that in daylight, or in a dark room? 11 or 12 is about right for daylight use, but a much lower setting should suffice for reading at night.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Is that in daylight, or in a dark room? 11 or 12 is about right for daylight use, but a much lower setting should suffice for reading at night.
All the time. In bed, I have a light on, contrast with darkness is unpleasant if I just use the Kindle light, but I could dial it back.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
All the time. In bed, I have a light on, contrast with darkness is unpleasant if I just use the Kindle light, but I could dial it back.
I've found for reading in a dark room, a wider line spacing is helpful as I turn the screen light down. I can usually turn the light down a little more the longer I read. But the wider line spacing creates more white space around the text which helps with contrast.

When I was using a Paperwhite I started at about 9-10, and ended up with the light at 4-5 if I read more than 20 minutes. On my Kobo, I end up at about 9%.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
It is absolutely normal only. Why did you read books from that angle?
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
If I look at the bottom edge of the screen from a low angle, I can see the four lights. Is this normal?
I also see a slight shadow between them at the bottom when looking flat on.

If it's not normal, as it's still under warranty, would it qualify for replacement?
If the shadows are obvious, your light is too high. Change the lighting to match the room lighting. Bright room-turn them up. Darker room-turn them down.

So yes, it is normal.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't have a PW 3, but I had a PW 2 and have 2 Voyages where I can't see the lights and hardly any shadow regardless of what position I hold it in or how high the light setting is. I think the amount of light and shadow cones varies on devices and if the ones on your device annoy you it is worth an exchange. I also had 2 Oasis devices and returned both because the lights and shadows at the side distracted me too much while reading. If your PW 3 is still within the return period, you can return it and order a new device and avoid getting a refurbished replacement.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Voyage is a different design - the bezel completely hides the lights. It doesn't on a PW3, and no amount of returning is going to change that.