Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If you haven't already read the Hamish Macbeth books by M.C. Beaton (cosy mysteries), those are not too long. He has some romantic misadventures but they are not the focus of the story.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 AM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe Discworld? But they are a little longer than 250.
Some are. I've stopped reading Discworld for an asinine reason...the versions that I own don't have Chapters.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 AM   #18
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If you haven't already read the Hamish Macbeth books by M.C. Beaton (cosy mysteries), those are not too long. He has some romantic misadventures but they are not the focus of the story.
Thanks for the rec. I've read a couple of these books but I've forgotten completely about them. According to Goodreads I even gave one of the books 5/5.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Some are. I've stopped reading Discworld for an asinine reason...the versions that I own don't have Chapters.
Pratchett didn't believe in chapters - said that life doesn't happen that way. ... But he did give way in his books for younger readers - so if you follow my earlier recommendations you will be fine (They might be written for younger readers but I don't find them condescending - just fun.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #20
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
They might be written for younger readers but I don't find them condescending - just fun.
Damn straight! I loved reading Wyrd Sisters...however, the previous ones are rather hit and miss.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #21
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
If that was meant for me, I'll say that I like most books without any romance, therefore no Paranormal stuff. I also don't like obscure books from Isaac Asimov. I don't enjoy books about zombies.

I like mysteries, cozy mysteries, thrillers and good urban fantasy.
Does it have to be a series? I just posted in a discounted books thread that A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins is on $0.99. It's what I would call a light mystery, about an investigator assessing whether a death at the circus was an accident. The cirkys are covering something up and they mess with him in amusing ways. If you like big cats, it's priceless.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
Luffy
Wizard

Thanks Genre Jumper, but I'm currently reading the recs advised by previous informants. Lots of books to choose from. Your rec is one for the future.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #23
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Almost forgot, Time Shifters by Shanna Lauffey. 7 books in the series at present and all with just over 100 pages each. Time travel, excellently done.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #24
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Almost forgot, Time Shifters by Shanna Lauffey. 7 books in the series at present and all with just over 100 pages each. Time travel, excellently done.
Thank you. Wow,so many books...
Old 06-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #25
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Better to be spoiled for choice than to run out of good books to read.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll recommend all of the following All under 250 pages per novel. Series given, with the the name of the first book

SF/Fantasy:
Amber: Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
Dumarest: The Winds of Gath by E.C. Tubb
Dracula Tapes: The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen
Ethshar: The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-EVans
Land of Ingary: Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones
Young Wizards: So You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane

Mystery:
Alix London: A Dangerous Talent by Aaron & Charlotte Elkins
Chris Norgren: A Deceptive Clarity by Aaron Elkins
Gideon Oliver: Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agencyby Alexander McCall Smith
Rabbi Small: Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman

Mystery/Historical:
Cadfael: A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters
Gil Cunningham: The Harper's Quine by Pat McIntosh
Hugh Corbett: Satan in St Mary's by Paul Doherty

Mystery/Fantasy:
Thraxas: Thraxas by Martin Scott
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #27
Luffy
Wizard

Great post pdurrant! Spoken and acted like the true friend that you are. I'll sink in so many hours reading these recs.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Great post pdurrant! Spoken and acted like the true friend that you are. I'll sink in so many hours reading these recs.
Oh, if you want to venture into (non-erotic) romance, any of the regency romances by Georgette Heyer. Good historical details, well written, and funny.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There were a lot of genre books during the 50's through 70's that were under 250 pages. That is because during that time period, the primary way of getting paid was to sell it as a serial in a magazine rather than as a stand alone novel. For example, if you look at Zelazny's Amber series, most of them first were serialized in a magazine. The vast majority of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books (Erlic, Corum, Count Brass, etc..) were under 250.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #30
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Seconded on Amber series, great Fantasy!

Another good one in this genre is the Goblin series by Jaq D. Hawkins. 3 books, around 200-ish pages each. Dance of the Goblins, Demoniac Dance, Power of the Dance. I think these might fit under Urban Fantasy.