Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
vogella
vogella began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
CSS template for epub for the mobi conversioin

I'm currently creating epub books and converting them to mobi.

I'm not familiar with the possibilities of styling for the Kindle device (mobi).

I assumed that Amazon would provide a default styling sheet for epub so that the mobi result would look good but was unable to find one (searching with Google and on the Amazon site).

Can someone suggest a good default CSS which I could use in in my epub so that I get a good mobi result?
vogella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The CSS from an epub file must be converted (by kindlegen) to HTML 3.2 attributes in the mobi file, so keeping the CSS extremely simple is always the best approach. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what works best (or at all) is through trial and error (and of course by looking through the threads here at MR to find what others may have stumbled upon).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogella View Post
I'm currently creating epub books and converting them to mobi.

I'm not familiar with the possibilities of styling for the Kindle device (mobi).

I assumed that Amazon would provide a default styling sheet for epub so that the mobi result would look good but was unable to find one (searching with Google and on the Amazon site).

Can someone suggest a good default CSS which I could use in in my epub so that I get a good mobi result?
What CSS in an ePub will convert well to MOBI depends a lot on what conversion tool is used.

You might give the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621 ) a read with particular attention to the "HTML Guidelines" section. Any tag attribute supported in MOBI should be supported by most conversion tools when encountered in its CSS equivalent.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
vogella

Thanks for the answers.

Are there any example CSS which work fine with epub and mobi which I could use as a starting point?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I use this as a starting point:
Attached Files
File Type: zip stylesheet.zip (310 Bytes, 1011 views)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
vogella

@dwig Thanks. This one looks easy. :-)