Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Clean up old Word file

I have a fantasy novel that I've been working on for ages, around 500 pages long. I think I was using Word 97 when I first started writing it. Eventually I'm going to want to convert it to an ebook, but before I get there I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean up the entire file. If possible without removing all formatting. Editing is slow, as in the file is unwieldy compared to files of similar size, which makes me think there is excess garbage in the code from numerous conversions over the years from doc to odt to docx.
My question, what is the best way to clean up a large docx file that likely is loaded with conversion artifacts?
Thanks.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@conan50 - if you have a lot of in-line formatting, i.e. you've eschewed using Styles, then conversion to EPUB will result in 'messy' HTML code.

What will you lose if you save it as plain text?

BTW: This is not really a calibre question, the Workshop forum would be better. I can move it if you want.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
If you've done in-line formatting, then I do think that you might be better off stripping all the formatting and redoing the formatting with styles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@conan50 - if you have a lot of in-line formatting, i.e. you've eschewed using Styles, then conversion to EPUB will result in 'messy' HTML code.

What will you lose if you save it as plain text?

BTW: This is not really a calibre question, the Workshop forum would be better. I can move it if you want.

BR
Yes, please move it. I wasn't sure where to post.
I might try plain text. If I paste it into another document with formatting removed, would that completely clean up the text?
Old 05-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you've done in-line formatting, then I do think that you might be better off stripping all the formatting and redoing the formatting with styles.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what got carried over when I merely saved the whole thing from doc to odt then back to docx. The book is finished except for editing, but it seems slow to load and as I make changes they also are very slow as I type in or remove text which makes me think the document needs cleaned up or the formatting completely removed and started over.
Advert
Old 05-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved out of Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
From what you describe, it is probably a real mess under the skin; I've seen files like that.

The traditional "dynamite" approach to fix this is to copy all the text into a plain text editor to remove ALL the formatting. (Just using "remove formatting" in either Word or Writer is not guaranteed to get it all.) Then open the text file back in your word processor and re-format using styles.

Unfortunately, this will blow away italics, and that can be a real pain to put back in if they are used a lot. I found a work-around for this that I used on a book or two with good results. It's a nasty thing, but for what it's worth, I'll add it. I used Writer, but something similar could be done with Word:

1. Save the file as html.
2. Open the html file in a text editor (like gedit--any good text-only editor).
3. Identify all the code indicating italics. There may be several types of coding.
4. Use Search & Replace to replace all that code with some unused text marker. I think used #i for italics start and #/i for italics end. Save the html file.
5. Now open that html file again in the word processor. The text markers you put in will show up as text and no italics will appear.
6. NOW remove all formatting (select all and Ctrl-M for Writer). (Some odd things might be left behind that you will later have to fix by hand, but probably not much.)
7. Save the result again as an html file, and open it in the text editor.
8. Use search and replace to turn #i into <i> and #/i into </i>.
9. Now open the result back in the word processor. Italics should re-appear.
10. Now you can save it as docx or odt, and reformat paragraphs, headings, and so on, using styles.

As I said, it's ugly, but worth it if you have hundreds and hundreds of instances of italics.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 05-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be a lot easier to save as text, load the resulting text file and apply all the formatting as styles from there. Then save as DOCX. Convert to ePub, load in the Calibre Editor or Sigil and see if there is anything you want to fix.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be a lot easier to save as text, load the resulting text file and apply all the formatting as styles from there. Then save as DOCX. Convert to ePub, load in the Calibre Editor or Sigil and see if there is anything you want to fix.
Your method wouldn't save the italics formatting.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
conan50
Fanatic

Thanks folks! Sounds like it is going to be a big job to clean it up. Pretty much what I figured.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Your method wouldn't save the italics formatting.
It would in the end as the italics would be put back.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
One thing you might do is to simply look at how many formatting paragraphs you have in your old files and what were their names. You may be able to make the conversions easier if you clean up the documents themselves depending on how you made them in the first place.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
If possible without removing all formatting.
Could be possible, could be possible.

Please contact me via PM and send me your file.

(Upload to Google Drive or other filesharing site and I could take a look.)

Quote:
I have a fantasy novel that I've been working on for ages, around 500 pages long. I think I was using Word 97 when I first started writing it. Eventually I'm going to want to convert it to an ebook, but before I get there I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean up the entire file.
Styles.

For more info on the why/how, see three of my posts in "eBook Formatting in Sigil":

Post #48
Post #50
Post #52

especially the 2 videos I linked in "MS Word vs Open Office Word" (Post #3).

Quote:
Editing is slow, as in the file is unwieldy compared to files of similar size, which makes me think there is excess garbage in the code from numerous conversions over the years from doc to odt to docx.

My question, what is the best way to clean up a large docx file that likely is loaded with conversion artifacts?
Yep, definitely sounds like a bunch of cruft built up and hidden in the background.

... Especially if you've been using the same file for over 20 years + saved in various different programs/formats. Who knows what crap crept in.

In your case, it may be best to export to a super clean/minimalist document, then reimport back so that you're starting from a proper foundation.

Once you have that fantastic base, everything else becomes better.

Quote:
Thanks folks! Sounds like it is going to be a big job to clean it up. Pretty much what I figured.
Generating clean documents has never been easier.

There are tools (like Toxaris's EPUBTools) to generate super clean ebooks from your Word files.

You still might have to put in a little elbow grease to get some of the more complicated formatting back (like blockquotes/poetry/footnotes), but the vast bulk of the conversion can be converted super cleanly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
The traditional "dynamite" approach to fix this is to copy all the text into a plain text editor to remove ALL the formatting.

[...]

Unfortunately, this will blow away italics, and that can be a real pain to put back in if they are used a lot. I found a work-around for this that I used on a book or two with good results. It's a nasty thing, but for what it's worth, I'll add it. I used Writer, but something similar could be done with Word:

[...]
I referenced this in passing just 2 days ago.

There's a much easier way of doing this using Word's/LibreOffice's Advanced Find and Replace.

No need to introduce their disgusting HTML exports/imports.

Instead, you use the word processor's italics formatting within Advanced Search, then replace with your own "markdown".

Last year, I wrote step-by-step instructions for:

The 1st one went from:

Code:
This is italics and more italics too.
to:

Code:
This is \emph{italics} and \emph{more italics too}.
and the 2nd one went from:

Code:
This is <i>italics</i> and <i>more italics too</i>.
to:

Code:
This is italics and more italics too.
Microsoft Word and LibreOffice have slightly different buttons, but the concept is all the same.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-10-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
conan50
Fanatic

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
I used Softmaker Office to save the document as a text file, removing all the formatting. Then opened it back up in Softmaker Office and selected all and used default formatting, put my headings back and a bit of other needed formatting and saved as a docx file. Definitely faster to load and edit. Will see what it looks like in Sigil after I finish editing it.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks again for all the suggestions!
I used Softmaker Office to save the document as a text file, removing all the formatting. Then opened it back up in Softmaker Office and selected all and used default formatting, put my headings back and a bit of other needed formatting and saved as a docx file. Definitely faster to load and edit. Will see what it looks like in Sigil after I finish editing it.
uh...

Well, I was going to suggest using Toxaris's amazing ePUBTools plugin for Word. You can then tag all the italics and bold, throughout (and underscores, if used), first.

Then cTRL-A and remove all the inline styling and then restore the italics, bold and underscores, throughout.

I suggest creating a main body style and applying that, BEFORE you restore the italic/bold, etc. and then you're 95% of the way home.

I've used it for just this purpose--cleaning up horrid old files--for years and it's the Best. Thing. EVAH.

Seriously.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote