Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
shore_pk
Enthusiast
shore_pk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil & Page Edit

I am using Sigil and Page Edit for the first time. I've watched watch instructional videos I could find. Unfortunately most of them have older versions (no Page Edit).

So far I can do everything I need but have one issue.

PageEdit has icons that don't seem to work for me. These same icons work if I do it from Sigil itself but that sometimes is adding a lot of extra steps.

The 3 icons I'm trying to use in Page Edit are the insert file (image) and the insert split file marker and insert hyperlink.

Should these work in Page Edit and if so how do I get them to work?

Thank you,

Linda
shore_pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Make sure you are opening the OPF file of the epub in PageEdit from Sigil. Otherwise you are strictly in a single xhtml file editing mode. None of the images in the epub will be available for PageEdit to insert otherwise. I'm not 100% certain that it's the same with the other two you mentioned, but I suspect it might be. We've got a request to disable those functions that aren't available in single-file mode, but it will be in the next release.

EDIT: in case I wasn't clear... the image has to exist in the epub's archive already for PageEdit to be able to insert it into a file (and PageEdit has to be launched in multi-file mode by clicking the Launch External Editor button with the opf file open in Sigil). PageEdit doesn't have the ability to add/remove files from an epub regardless of how it was launched, so it can't be used to add external images to the epub.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-16-2021 at 11:14 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
shore_pk
Enthusiast

"Make sure you are opening the OPF file of the epub in PageEdit from Sigil."

How do I do this? I'm not clear what OPF is. I have inserted and downloaded some pictures using Sigil and these do not show up as options in PageEdit. In fact the insert file option doesn't even open a dialog whereas the insert hyperlink does but none show up in the dialog (even though I have many already in the Sigil insert link dialog).
Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
shore_pk
Enthusiast

BTW if you mean I need to use the pageedit icon in Sigil to open up the xhtml page I'm editing I have been doing that.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The OPF is an epub file that controls how the xhtml files are presented, manifests all of the files in the epub, where metadata about the book is kept etc.

In Sigil, look in BookBrowser and near the end you will see a file not in a folder called content.opf or package.opf or something ending with .opf.

This is typically the OPF file. Double-click it in BookBrowser to make it open in CodeView.

Then launch PageEdit via its Sigil icon (with Sigil showing the OPF in CodeView on top).

Then try working in PageEdit. You should have access to all of the xhtml files and should be able to move among them easily. You should also have access to other images already added in the epub.

If you want to use an image not currently part of the pub, you need to do that in Sigil *BEFORE* launching PageEdit as above.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore_pk View Post
BTW if you mean I need to use the pageedit icon in Sigil to open up the xhtml page I'm editing I have been doing that.
I mean you have to use the pageedit icon to open the OPF file (as explained by KevinH above).

PageEdit can be launched from Sigil in two ways (using the same pageedit icon): 1) you can open just the xhtml file you're working on (which is going to limit the options available to you, and sounds like what you're doing), or 2) Click the PageEdit icon when you have to OPF file open to have access to ALL of the epub's html files (to follow links, insert the images in the epub into xhtml pages, insert hyperlinks to other files in the epub, etc...).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
shore_pk
Enthusiast

These appears to be what I was doing wrong. Thank you so much!
Old 04-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #8
shore_pk
Enthusiast

Where does Sigil store the image files? Edit: Nevermind I found the answer.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I am using Sigil and Page Edit for the first time.
Absolutely fantastic.

Quote:
Unfortunately most of them have older versions (no Page Edit).
Most of the stuff is still pretty similar, except icons look super colorful now, and there are a few extra bells and whistles added around the place.

Book View -> PageEdit is one of the major changes though, so some of those old tutorials probably need updating!

Don't be afraid to ask if you need help.

Quote:
How do I do this? I'm not clear what OPF is.
Here's an image to help you out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.PageEdit.-.content.opf.Example.png
Views:	208
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	186658

1. You see the thing on the left called the "Book Browser"?

Scroll alllllllll the way down to the bottom of the Book Browser.

You should see a file called content.opf. Double-click on it to make sure it's open.

2. Press the External XHTML Editor button.

If you have your PageEdit set up correctly, it should open the entire book in there, and all those insert image buttons should work now.

Side Note: Normally, we're only working on a single chapter at a time. This is what happens when you have an HTML file open and press the button.

But in this case, you want the entire book open, so you'd use PageEdit on the content.opf instead.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-16-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
shore_pk
Enthusiast

Thank you! I got done what I needed!